Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Albion fans too nice?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There's not been any real show against Hyypia at all yet.

Would there be many other clubs, with the expectation levels we have, who would be so quiet at games in relation to their thoughts about the manager?

Supporting the team at games is, of course, absolutely the right thing to do, but by now I would have expected more dissent towards Hyypia to have been put into the mix. It raises the stakes considerably because it's difficult for an owner/board to ignore or gloss over, particularly when it becomes a focal point for match reports in the media, which it generally does.

Are we too nice? Maybe we're just very patient.

At what point would significant vocal opposition to Hyypia's tenure become to be a feature at games?

Feb 14, 2010
Yeah mate, a set of supporters who rip down goal posts to protest at the board and who (for example Fulham away in the 90's) were climbing over the fences to have a pop at our own players must be too nice.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I don't think it is a matter of fans being 'too nice'.

The expectation levels of the long term fans, the ones most likely to 'demonstrate' their feelings publicly, aren't as high I suspect as many assume. We are used to taking the lows with the occasional high.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I do wonder sometimes whether you post threads purely for a reaction, even if everyone made Hyypia out banners it would have no effect on Bloom. The situation is- Bloom gets rid of Hyypia or keeps him and we'll get relegated. Nothing the fans can do.

el punal

Yeah mate, a set of supporters who rip down goal posts to protest at the board and who (for example Fulham away in the 90's) were climbing over the fences to have a pop at our own players must be too nice.
It's an awful long way from the West Upper down to to the pitch. I think I'll just shout instead.

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
Pair of lads who sit near me never offer me any of their picnic they bring to every home game so no, our fans aren't too nice at all.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yes, yes we are.

Yesterday, the Derby fans started a brief "You're getting sacked in the morning" chant shortly after going 3-0 up and about 100 of our lot picked it up. However, it was only 20%-ish of our lot, it was brief, and it was quiet. We're now 2 points from safety having won 1 in 15 in the league. Most other sets of fans would be going ape on the terraces by now given the success of the last 2 seasons.

I'm not convinced just how much actual action it would elicit by TB though. However much he does or does not know about football, he does know that our current league position is unacceptable. Being more vocal will at least allow fans to vent their anger, and may persuade Sami to be rather less demanding in any compensation negotiations, thus meaning an earlier end to his reign (which is surely now inevitable?). For these reasons, I anticipate that we'll get progressively louder...

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013
Too British maybe? Say a lot behind the scenes. E.g on Here. When it comes to the game everyone sings a different song!

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Apologies for being a conspiracy theorist but in my perception that [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] has some enhanced level of connection to the club, I can't help wondering what all these "What will you do..." questions are for?

If there's an expectation that you'll get the pulse of the fans then fine... but where is the club's response to these issues when we reveal how we're feeling?

If you're trying to anticipate when the banners will start to appear then is there an ulterior motive (i.e. putting enhanced security in place to stop them getting into the ground)?

If it's just a chance to have a whinge then that's fine too, but I think we have enough whingeing threads already.

Apologies for a suspicious/negative post but I'm a suspicious/negative person. :thumbsup:

Feb 14, 2010
I've always found that the team are dreadful at the Albion and the fans are used to slagging off our own players and managers for that reason. In fact, I'd say its an art form at Brighton. I suppose when a bloke has spent £200 Million on the club to put us on our feet, then for the first time we had nothing to moan about.. but now of course the team has let everyone down, but that's Brighton.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here