Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is advising Tony Bloom?

I've only ever once had a conversation with Tony Bloom and that was years ago, not long after he became Chairman. What I remember of the conversation was him saying that he didn't consider himself to be any sort of an expert on football, but was confident that he could learn more by listening to people who did know the game.

Since then, it's become quite clear that Bloom is a man who likes to recruit experts (sometimes described as "world class" experts) who come into the Club to deliver success. Some of them have joined the Board of Directors.

I suspect that, among these experts are the guys who are now advising TB on what needs to be done. And their advice seems to be at odds with what a lot of fans are saying. But I may be wrong. Is it the case that the big strategic footballing decisions are, in fact, now being taken by Tony Bloom?

Does anybody know?

One thing that I know is that just because you can pull together tens of millions of pounds to save a football club and build a new stadium, it doesn't necessarily mean that you understand football. But it was Tony Bloom who told me that.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What do they see in Hyypia that everyone else doesn't ?

Not having a manager to pay off .. We have a spreadsheet to manage that we can't possibly tip the balance of

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is he being advised or is he being pig headed?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
But to answer the question in the thread title, I'm not sure sure but I believe it may be Louis Walsh.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wouldn't have thought that.

Hmmm, he didn't make his fortune being a savvy football club owner. Many a business man has had a fall when he got financially too involved in football clubs. The events since Poyet left have been worthy of at least a quizzical eyebrow, Roger Moore style.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I've only ever once had a conversation with Tony Bloom and that was years ago, not long after he became Chairman. What I remember of the conversation was him saying that he didn't consider himself to be any sort of an expert on football, but was confident that he could learn more by listening to people who did know the game.

Since then, it's become quite clear that Bloom is a man who likes to recruit experts (sometimes described as "world class" experts) who come into the Club to deliver success. Some of them have joined the Board of Directors.

I suspect that, among these experts are the guys who are now advising TB on what needs to be done. And their advice seems to be at odds with what a lot of fans are saying. But I may be wrong. Is it the case that the big strategic footballing decisions are, in fact, now being taken by Tony Bloom?

Does anybody know?

One thing that I know is that just because you can pull together tens of millions of pounds to save a football club and build a new stadium, it doesn't necessarily mean that you understand football. But it was Tony Bloom who told me that.

Barry Lloyd was initially (apparently - source friend of Lloyd) and I believe it was him who suggested Poyet as manager. Ironically, I also heard it was Poyet who did not like the influence Lloyd had (though that is more rumour) and as a consequence he drifted away from his 'scouting' role.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Hmmm, he didn't make his fortune being a savvy football club owner. Many a business man has had a fall when he got financially too involved in football clubs. The events since Poyet left have been worthy of at least a quizzical eyebrow, Roger Moore style.
Was thinking more about being associated with a pig.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Sorry it's me. It started as a bet down the pub after a few pints but I got in too deep.

It's a relief to be found out.

Last edited:

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Tony Bloom is clueless. How he can't see what thousands of us can is beyond me.

Oh and before anyone shoots me down with any "he funded the new stadium" bollocks, another Tony (Blair) who was instrumental in establishing an end to the troubles in Northern Island, was later (and quite rightly) lambasted for illegally authorising the invasion of Iraq.

He can't keep dining out on the Amex. The fact is the recruitment of Burke, Hyypia and Jones has been questionable at best. The time for sound leadership is now, yet all we seem to get is a never ending cycle of corporate verbiage.

The fans are sick and tired of inaction, all the warning signs are there yet he refuses to act. Under his leadership we have in 18 months gone from a highly regarded football club on the cusp of the Premier League, to a laughing stock and he has to be culpable.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The club started going down hill the day Paul Barber arrived. His treatment of AITC, Gullys Girls, Gus Poyet, etc was indicative of how he was always going to dictate his twisted corporate philosophy about how this football club should be run.

Some clackers, fright night, "one club, one ambition", 10,000 empty seats and almost three managers later... here we find ourselves.

I can just imagine Paul Barber in the boardroom with Tony Bloom - telling him how everything is hunky dory by feeding him commercial statistics and percentages, ignoring the real problems that will burden this clubs long-term future.

We need a CEO like Martin Perry - someone with not only exceptional ability but also someone who passionately understands the importance of "fans" rather than just "customers".

This, this and this. And this. And this again. Then some more this. Followed by yet more this, with a big, rousing finale of this.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Shared a taxi once with Richard branson and asked the ultimate toady: "what is the secret?" TBF, he answered as if he hadn't been asked the same question 100,000 times, replying "I have the idea, and employ the best people to execute it."

Shades of TB, but it ain't so easy in sport; recruitment is even more of an art rather then science than in everyday life. I think he has got unlucky this time, the acid test will be whether and how quickly he can now rectify

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Could anyone here write the size of cheques TB has too, on a weekly basis, and then hand the whole operation over to someone else?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here