Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New 30k plus stadiums that have been built

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
in the last 20 years have any of these clubs that have built them not played in the premier league within 5 years of the completion of the stadium?

It's seeming to me that the Albion could become one of the first if not the first to fail to do this? Or am I totally wrong and just looking at the black side?

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
in the last 20 years have any of these clubs that have built them not played in the premier league within 5 years of the completion of the stadium?

It's seeming to me that the Albion could become one of the first if not the first to fail to do this? Or am I totally wrong and just looking at the black side?

Think of poor old Darlington, but they are the exception. (Mind you, think it was only 25000).

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
30k is maybe to high but even aroud 25/26k Huddersfield spring to mind as one that didn't make it as they were about the first club to build a new ground however other than that

Stoke - Premier League
Swansea - Premier League
Cardiff - made the premier league
Southampton - Premier league
Hull city - Premier League
Bolton - made the Premier League
Wigan - Made the premier league
Leicester - Premier League

Doesn't look go for us - Out of interest is Dralingtons ground still tehre or has it been knocked down?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Reading took more than 5 years, albeit a 25k ish stadium rather than 30

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We had a golden ticket to the Premier League... but Barber ****ed it up.

how? explain how the chief executive twice failed to get us through the play offs?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
30k is maybe to high but even aroud 25/26k Huddersfield spring to mind as one that didn't make it as they were about the first club to build a new ground however other than that

Stoke - Premier League
Swansea - Premier League

Doesn't look go for us - Out of interest is Dralingtons ground still tehre or has it been knocked down?

Local rugby league side were using it.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Reading took more than 5 years, albeit a 25k ish stadium rather than 30

Still been there twice though even if it did take more than 5 years i suppose we may still have time but teh more and more money that come sinto football the gap gets bigger

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London

Stoke - Premier League
Swansea - Premier League

And

Middlesbrough
Sunderland
Derby

All made it after new 30k + stadia

Feb 14, 2010
Its Brighton, why is anyone surprised? We never have a side that matches the support (never mind do a Wimbledon, Wigan or Palace and have a side better than the support). If we did then we would be a force in football. You support Brighton despite the players/team, not because of them. It would be nice however if for once, just once we could have a decent side and stop watching clubs with smaller followings do better than us. At Brighton there is always a reason why the team is sh!te. I dont expect anything else anymore. Its always been the way. I still have hope that Bloom will change it, but who knows.

Jan 30, 2008
Its Brighton, why is anyone surprised? We never have a side that matches the support (never mind do a Wimbledon, Wigan or Palace and have a side better than the support). If we did then we would be a force in football. You support Brighton despite the players/team, not because of them. It would be nice however if for once, just once we could have a decent side and stop watching clubs with smaller followings do better than us. At Brighton there is always a reason why the team is sh!te. I dont expect anything else anymore. Its always been the way. I still have hope that Bloom will change it, but who knows.
not far off the mark there WCP
regards
DR

Feb 14, 2010
Because he's the CEO and in charge of all club affairs?

He took a club with phenomenal momentum, filling a brand new 30,000 stadium and state of the art of training facilities, the Premier League was almost inevitable - and absolutely spunked that golden opportunity. We are now bottom 3, with a donkey as a manager, 10,000+ empty seats every game, ridiculous recruitment policy, "one club one ambition" etc.

Hyypia has ****ed us up short-term, Barber is destroying us long-term.

No need to have a pop at the support, the crowds have held up well, 29000 for `Fulham at home last week. But as I say, when will Brighton have a team to match the support (never mind a team that is better than the support that clubs like Wimbledon, palace and Wigan have all enjoyed?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Because he's the CEO and in charge of all club affairs?

He took a club with phenomenal momentum, filling a brand new 30,000 stadium and state of the art of training facilities, the Premier League was almost inevitable - and absolutely spunked that golden opportunity. We are now bottom 3, with a donkey as a manager, 10,000+ empty seats every game, ridiculous recruitment policy, "one club one ambition" etc.

Hyypia has ****ed us up short-term, Barber is destroying us long-term.

so, nothing to do with poor tactics leaving Zaha unmarked in 2013; attendance has nothing to do with dull insipid football last season and nothing to do with latest manger who's playing too many young lightweight players with tactics that expose the defence everytime possesion is lost; recruitment has nothing to do with Burke? no, its all to do with a slogan and sticking to a budget that the chairman sets, right? because why i dislike the constant berating of Barber, is thats its really a proxy for Bloom. Barber is his man, doing his bidding to keep the finances straight. the delivery on the pitch has to rest with the manager and some extent the players.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Yep, there's one - the Ricoh Arena seats 32,600. Not only has it never had premier league football but Coventry City have only once finished above 15th in their division in the eight seasons they've played there (not to mention the one season in exile, and this year so far...)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here