Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O'Grady vs Hyppia

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How on earth can O'Grady be (FA) Cup-tied as stated?

(CMS played in the Capital One Cup, but could play today for Peterborough in the FA Cup if we allowed, which we didn't)

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Don't see anything out of the ordinary here perhaps I'm not cynical enough, it's fairly obvious O'Grady didn't exactly feel valued by Sami and didn't want the 'big lump' 'different option' that Sami labelled him as, which in fairness I can see from COG point of view, if you feel devalued as a player you're hardly going to want to put yourself out there for him are you.

I wonder if Texiera, Holla ect feel the same after being dumped.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hyypia does have a point in fairness. COG has a three year contract on probably a very decent wage and should be speaking to the Albion about his future before mouthing off in the press with a Sheffield and Clough love in.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hyypia does have a point in fairness. COG has a three year contract on probably a very decent wage and should be speaking to the Albion about his future before mouthing off in the press with a Sheffield and Clough love in.

This will do for me...he should shut it

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Least O'Grady had the balls to admit he found it hard to adjust to our so called system

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

(CMS played in the Capital One Cup, but could play today for Peterborough in the FA Cup if we allowed, which we didn't)

Its just Naylor not knowing the difference between being refused permission by your parent club, and being cup tied because you have played in a previous round.
Thank God they let the senior "Sports Reporter" write the article and not a junior reporter.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

Not worded greatly, or probably correctly, but says 'has been Cup-tied' not 'is Cup-tied', suggesting by refusing him permission to play we have Cup-tied him to us (even though this hasn't happened yet and is subject to change).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not worded greatly, or probably correctly, but says 'has been Cup-tied' not 'is Cup-tied', suggesting by refusing him permission to play we have Cup-tied him to us (even though this hasn't happened yet and is subject to change).

That's what I assumed it meant.

As an aside, I've never really understood the POINT of a player becoming "cup tied" anyway. What possible difference does it make if he happened to play for another team in an earlier round of the cup ?
Baffling.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

First thing I thought as well. Seems Naylor isn't quite sure what the situation is!

As for the situation, presumably Hyypia also has O'Grady's number so why doesn't he ring him or get someone else to talk to him. If he wants to stay up north then fine. He hasn't settled well, the system didn't suit him and he now has the fans on his back so don't blame him. Sort it out now and we might have some funds available for the transfer window.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

Neither are cup tied the article is wrong.

I'd presume we don't want them cup tied as they're only on a short term loan and so we've probably said that its part of the loan agreement that they don't play today.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

I'd presume we don't want them cup tied as they're only on a short term loan and so we've probably said that its part of the loan agreement that they don't play today.

cup tied can have two meanings , either played in the competition before for another club or refused to take part by the loaning club because the player becomes ineligible if they return.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Sheff Utd are still in the Capital One cup with a tie coming up against Southampton. O'Grady is cup tied having played for us.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here