Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Do not mix materials". WHY FFS?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yesterday our recycling was collected. This morning I have put more out and seen "do not mix materials" written in angry capitals on our boxes.

Here's the thing. Ok, things. We have THREE boxes and NO lids. This is not enough to separate glass, PET, cardboard, paper and tins. You need FIVE. Plus this last fortnight is our second busiest of the year for recycling with three family birthdays so each box was BRIMMING with wrapping paper, Amazon cardboard and drinks of various hard and soft varieties. With no lid the paper BLEW everywhere. We did, however, choose to recycle these items and not chance EVIL landfill. But the worst thing of all. They took the time to scrawl this angry and impossible request on our boxes having chucked the entire street's recycling in the SAME part of the SAME lorry, thus not separating it AT ALL.

Anyone know WHY they feel the need to do this? Power trip? MENTALNESS? Can we blame KITKAT?

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

Yesterday our recycling was collected. This morning I have put more out and seen "do not mix materials" written in angry capitals on our boxes.

Here's the thing. Ok, things. We have THREE boxes and NO lids. This is not enough to separate glass, PET, cardboard, paper and tins. You need FIVE. Plus this last fortnight is our second busiest of the year for recycling with three family birthdays so each box was BRIMMING with wrapping paper, Amazon cardboard and drinks of various hard and soft varieties. With no lid the paper BLEW everywhere. We did, however, choose to recycle these items and not change EVIL landfill. But the worst thing of all. They took the time to scrawl this angry and impossible request on our boxes having chucked the entire street's recycling in the SAME part of the SAME lorry, thus not separating it AT ALL.

Anyone know WHY they feel the need to do this? Power trip? MENTALNESS? Can we blame KITKAT?

I these are the same sort of pathetic boxes LDC supply for recycling they are completely indequate.
LDC expect people to seperate cardboard and paper but supply the most pathetic straw bag to put your cardboard in. Honestly it makes people want to give up.

We should all be supplied with proper wheelie bins for this stuff. They would not only recycle more but the council wouldn't have to keep paying out for containers and lids that get blown down the road.

When I was in Luton THE council used to supply the following
1 x Wheelie Bin for cardboard and paper
1 x Wheelie Bin for rubbish
1 x Wheelie Bin for garden waste
1 x Plastic container for glass

It worked. How come we all pay some of the most expensive council tax in this country and yet get supplied the cheapest options for recycling.
I got the same treatment when I had a load of cardboard that wouldn't fit in the bag. They just left it and didn't bother collecting it and by the time I got home it had blown across the road.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
only think we have to separate in Easbourne is the glass otherwise everything else goes in one very large green wheely bin.
must say the council here really seem to have it sorted

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Oh for the days when waste was conveyed to the "yard" and tipped on to conveyors to be separated by magnets and hand pickers into various sections whilst rate payers simply paid their rates for the service rather than paying council taxes whilst doing the council's job themselves.

There is now more street clutter, more litter and less of a service. And less jobs.

This is progress.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Different councils have different recycling and disposals contracts. Some will have separate contracts for separate materials, thus they ask folks to separate them at source to lower distribution costs. You can get a petition for your area and offer to pay more tax to have it done for you or have less tax spent on something else like education. Devolution will give you that, but I'd just separate your materials if I were you.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Oh for the days when waste was conveyed to the "yard" and tipped on to conveyors to be separated by magnets and hand pickers into various sections whilst rate payers simply paid their rates for the service rather than paying council taxes whilst doing the council's job themselves.

There is now more street clutter, more litter and less of a service. And less jobs.

This is progress.

Horsham DC give us a huge wheelie bin with a blue lid, everything recyclable goes in it. We then have a huge garden waste wheelie, and a little rubbish wheelie. Works a treat,the operatives at Viridor sort the recyclables at the depots.

D

Deleted member 22389

Horsham DC give us a huge wheelie bin with a blue lid, everything recyclable goes in it. We then have a huge garden waste wheelie, and a little rubbish wheelie. Works a treat,the operatives at Viridor sort the recyclables at the depots.

Could you get Horsham DC to contact Lewes DC and show them how it should be really done.

It's beyond me why we have different companies dealing with this. You think it would make sense that all councils dealt with one company and bought all the same wheelie bins, it would work out a lot cheaper than the current system.

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
We have 3, one for tins and plastic, one for newspapers and one for glass bottles/jars. Anything else recyclable, like cardboard, we take to the rubbish tip ourselves. Although that's only open three days a week now...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
It's beyond me why we have different companies dealing with this. You think it would make sense that all councils dealt with one company and bought all the same wheelie bins, it would work out a lot cheaper than the current system.

Because the current system allows more opportunities for profit ???

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Because the current system allows more opportunities for profit ???

Not sure if it just about profit, but there might be some sense in that, I bet there is at least some agenda in there somewhere. I think there's also going to be a degree of simply not knowing the best way to do it, and cross fertilisation of interests, I guess, is not happening.

Councils are effectively political, and politics, and politicians, are completely incapable of admitting they are wrong, or that they made a poor, or wrong, decision. Similarly, they actually don't give a stuff what you think, regardless of the colour of their flag once you've voted for them. Ask yourself, why don't those that miss recycling targets consult with the councils that are successful and implement their systems?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm under Adur, and we just have one recycling wheeliebin that takes the lot. Glass, cardboard, tin etc. Must be a right ballache having several lidless boxes to separate everything.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

My step daughter lives in Sydenham in the London Borough of Bromley.

They fine people (or attempt to) if they don't separate their recycling properly.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Two wheelie bins in mid Sussex, one for recycling (glass, paper, plastic, cardboard, cans) and one for everything else, weekly collection alternating between the two. Have sometimes chanced overfilling the bin or leaving an extra black bag of landfill or extra box of recycling out and they have always taken it without comment. They do a top job round here.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Could you get Horsham DC to contact Lewes DC and show them how it should be really done.

You're right - the Lewes system is pathetic. A small bag to put cardboard in. So even if you can fit it in, when it rains it's soaking wet anyway.

I think there was a national survey recently of how which councils are best at recycling and Lewes was third bottom of the entire country. It's so simple - give us one wheelie bin for recylables, we put it in, you sort it out. Mid Sussex do this, Horsham do this - why the hell are Lewes so inept. For a town full of new-age hippies, it's bizarre.

D

Deleted member 22389

You're right - the Lewes system is pathetic. A small bag to put cardboard in. So even if you can fit it in, when it rains it's soaking wet anyway.

I think there was a national survey recently of how which councils are best at recycling and Lewes was third bottom of the entire country. It's so simple - give us one wheelie bin for recylables, we put it in, you sort it out. Mid Sussex do this, Horsham do this - why the hell are Lewes so inept. For a town full of new-age hippies, it's bizarre.

I lost my rag with the stupid cardboard sack a few months back. We had a table delivered and the box was massive. Started tearing the box in to smaller peices trying to fit it in the bag. After 10 mins I just folded the rest of the box up, put it a bin liner and got it taken away with the normal rubbish. Whoever decided these boxes and bags where a good idea has completely failed. As for the black boxes they just fill up with water. I was told to drill holes in the bottom of them. I didn't bother, I just let them fill up water. It wouldn't surprise in the slightest that Lewes came 3rd from bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
move to mid sussex, 1 good sized wheelie bin for landfill, 1 good sized wheelie bin for recycling no material separating needed, only downside is that you probably can't recycle as much stuff as you can in some areas, e.g. food.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I was told to drill holes in the bottom of them. I didn't bother, I just let them fill up water. .

Glad to see you take the community spirit seriously.

The council do the same with pot holes on cycle lanes, don't bother filling them in, just let them fill up with water so they look filled.

WSU

Jan 17, 2012
only think we have to separate in Easbourne is the glass otherwise everything else goes in one very large green wheely bin.
must say the council here really seem to have it sorted

I watched them tip the glass into the top of the green wheelie bin a month ago, and it all went off on its travels together so not even sure why we have to separate the glass!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here