ipro_stadium_panoramic.jpg

Venue: iPro Stadium, Derby
Date: Saturday, 6 December
Kick Off time: 15:00 GMT

Referee: Mark Heywood
Assistants: Nicholas Gibbons and Simon Mather
Fourth Official: Christopher Sarginson

TEAM NEWS

Defender Richard Keogh is a major doubt for Derby against Brighton on Saturday after picking up a hamstring injury.
Zak Whitbread (back and hamstring) is ruled out but Jamie Ward may return after recovering from a thigh injury.
Brighton skipper Gordon Greer (knee) is a doubt, while striker Adrian Colunga is suspended after he was red-carded against Fulham last Saturday.
Kazenga LuaLua (knee), Andrew Crofts (cruciate knee ligament) and Dale Stephens (ankle) are still missing.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-Head
• This is the first meeting since Derby won 6-2 on aggregate in the Championship play-off semi-finals in May.
• Derby won all four meetings in all competitions last season. Brighton's last win over the Rams was 2-1 at the Amex Stadium in the Championship in January 2013.
• Brighton have won only one of the last nine meetings at Derby in all competitions. Their only win there in 10 visits since 1984 was 1-0 in the Championship in November 2011.

Derby
• Derby lost 2-0 at Leeds last Saturday, after winning all of their previous three games.
• The Rams have lost only one of their 11 home games in all competitions this season. Their only home defeat was 2-1 against Wigan in the Championship on 25 October.

Brighton
• Brighton have won only one of their last 12 games in all competitions. Their only win since 24 September was 1-0 at home to Wigan in the Championship on 4 November.
• Brighton have not won any of their last six away games in all competitions, losing two. Their last win on the road was 3-0 at Burton in the Capital One Cup on 24 September.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Some notes. I think Derby are overhyped. If we had a good team out they could be in for a shock. Except we haven't.

Grant/Butland vs Stockdale/Walton. Right now Derby have a better keeper but in or year or so, Walton looks the best prospect.

Christie v Bruno. Bruno is an old fashioned full back and is good enough for the PL. I expect Christie is quite good but Albion have the edge at right back. Despite Christie having good ratings this season.
Forsyth vs Joe Bennett. I know Forsyth is a favourite but we had Chicksen for the play-offs so it won't be so easy for Derby this time. Joe Bennett is a slight weakness for losing the ball. Forsyth is the form player so more than the edge to Derby.
Keogh vs Greer. Keogh has got the edge on form, but Greer is no mug and I am not sure he why he was missing for the Fulham game. Albion defence collapsed when Greer went off injured in the play-offs.
Shotton v Dunk. Dunk was reserve last year but now has come of age. Dunk is a player with more potential but is still young.

Hendrick vs Gardner. Albion will be outgunned here.
Bryson vs Holla/Ince. Albion will be outgunned here. (Andrew Crofts is out for the season and Dale Stephens is injured.)
Will Hughes vs Forster-Caskey. Albion will be outgunned here. A year ago and I did not think Hughes was very good but he has improved.

Dawkins vs Baldock. Dawkins looked good at times if a bit wasteful. Baldock has not shown anything yet. Colunga is suspended.
Russell vs Elliott Bennett. I think Russell is useful player and better overall. If Lualua is fit, he is very good now and unstoppable in acceleration unless the opposition double up.
Martin vs Bent. Martin is the best striker in the Championship this season. Opponents give him too much room though. Bent might be better for half chances if we get any. Equal.

The Albion style relies on dominance in midfield. Without parity we will be in for a torrid time.
On paper it looks like we might struggle. However, Albion are still one of the leading clubs for possession (in our own half mostly) and passing this season, but the midfield is young and they mistakes at vital times (which is the problem).

Subs: Jamie Ward has caused trouble in the past. Ibe seems to be on form. Teixeira (loses the ball a lot) and McCourt (can't defend for toffee) are the Albion equivalents.
Ince has presence, height and good at interceptions where Albion excel. Mascarell has been hyped. I don't know if he is any good or not?
Leon Best can't shoot for toffee. We have not got an equivalent striker for this match. Solly March is the nearest and he is more of a winger than a striker.

On the face of it, it appears that Albion would be best playing an extra man in midfield at least for the first hour and blunt Derby in the style of Wigan.
It is different from the usual games when we have a better midfield. We usually dominate games and make individual mistakes. Except at Spurs when losing out in midfield and we got slaughtered, but not with the full side out, but neither did Spurs (although quite a few make the first team now).

Norwich were the same advantage on paper, but they made the mistake of playing two wide players and despite making a lot of mistakes we got any with a 3-3 draw. I don't think Steve McClaren will make a tactical mistake as arguably he was the best signing last season. Not that it isn't Nigel Clough's team.

It is crucial that Lualua is fully fit and plays. I don't think he will be fully fit though.

Par prediction 2-0. Albion expected to give away free kicks in dangerous position under pressure and to cede possession by mistakes.
On TV Derby looked a bit wasteful in attack. So I think they will miss a lot as well.
Predict Possession: 54 - 46% Shots 14 (7)- 8 (2) Corners 10-2. MOM: Stockdale.

Albion team:

Stockdale
Bruno Dunk Greer J.Bennett
Holla Ince Forster-Caskey
Gardner
E.Bennett Bent

Subs: Walton, Calderón, Halford, Hughes, Lualua, Baldock, March.

Possibles: Teixeira (instead of Halford), McCourt.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Keogh is a big miss for Derby, their skipper. Chris Martin not playing so well last few games, but he does have a fantastic record against us.

For once Perseus makes some sense in that we have great danger in being totally outgunned in midfield. I would rest JFC and play Holla, digging in alongside Ince.

With Bent we always have a chance of scoring. 1-1.

PG

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I leave shortly with no hope but may return with a lot of hope - who knows ?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
This game feels like a FA Cup 2nd round tie , plucky minnows away to top of the table runaway favourites.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Keogh is a big miss for Derby, their skipper. Chris Martin not playing so well last few games, but he does have a fantastic record against us.

For once Perseus makes some sense in that we have great danger in being totally outgunned in midfield. I would rest JFC and play Holla, digging in alongside Ince.

With Bent we always have a chance of scoring. 1-1.

PG

If you think Derby will only score one against our disorganized defence you are delusional. I think they'll net 3 at a minimum, hoping that this will be bounced come 5pm but I really can't see it.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I use to love Saturdays. Doing bets and eagerly tuning into the radio for kick off. I lost that love and feeling. I'm dreading today :(

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
This is set up so nicely for an out-of-the-blue shock result that, unfortunately, it's much too obvious, is actually now impossible and therefore cannot happen. Come on you Seagulls! A draw would be cause for celebration.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I use to love Saturdays. Doing bets and eagerly tuning into the radio for kick off. I lost that love and feeling. I'm dreading today :(

Derby to win 5-0 , 6-0 , 7-0 , 8-0 , 9-0 all at 500/1 :ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here