J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
such a shame MotD didn't have the same format back then

only 2 games used to make the show

the Albion were'nt on that often

wins against Man U,Forest and Bolton spring to mind,but so many were missed

2 wins against Arsenal

2 boxing day wins against palace and my personal favourite 3-0 up there (although there is footage of this) but imagine an indepth coverage of that match

wardy's hat trick at Wolves

Gordon Smith's 2nd half hat trick at Coventry

winning 2-0 at the Dell,Kevin Keegan et al

wins at the Goldstone against West Ham

another at WHL

those really were the days,shame they didn't get the coverage that they get now

any other great matches from that time never captured on film?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Strangely, one of my biggest memories was a defeat. There was a cracking match at Goodison Park where Everton won 4-3, the winning goal coming in the last minute. It was gutting to lose but it was one of the best games I saw in the 1st Division

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Coming in on the train from Lancing as you approached Hove station we always used to look across the old coal yard to the Goldstone. If we were going to be on telly you could see the temporary scaffolding on the Chicken Run that housed the camera gantry. In Div 1 once the novelty had worn off I honestly preferred it when we weren't on as we always seemed to lose when the cameras were there - great games like the Forest one being the rare exception.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
such a shame MotD didn't have the same format back then

only 2 games used to make the show

the Albion were'nt on that often

wins against Man U,Forest and Bolton spring to mind,but so many were missed

2 wins against Arsenal

2 boxing day wins against palace and my personal favourite 3-0 up there (although there is footage of this) but imagine an indepth coverage of that match

wardy's hat trick at Wolves

Gordon Smith's 2nd half hat trick at Coventry

winning 2-0 at the Dell,Kevin Keegan et al

wins at the Goldstone against West Ham

another at WHL

those really were the days,shame they didn't get the coverage that they get now

any other great matches from that time never captured on film?
I was at that game at White Hart Lane. We beat them 1-0. Goal came from Michael Robinson if my memory served me well.
That day sticks in my memory for reasons other than the football though. The IRA were at the height of their game then and we had to get of 3 tube trains that day due to bomb scares. Not a pleasant experience when you consider that hooliganism was also at it's height back then sharing the platform of a tube with other London firms!
We went to Oxford Street before the game and back then choice of fast food outlets was limited. We went to a wimpy burger bar and sat down stairs. In the Monday after that wimpy was blown up by an IRA bomb killing the army disposal man. I've often wondered if that bomb was meant to go off on the Saturday when casualties,including me and my mate, would have been far higher. Made my blood run cold watching the news on that Monday evening.
Anyway Spurs could have gone top 42,000 packed into the Lane,they were all over us to be honest but Robinson ran onto a lovely through ball and put it in the net. The Spurs fans didn't take too kindly to that and the walk down to Seven Sisters station was interesting!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I was at that game at White Hart Lane. We beat them 1-0. Goal came from Michael Robinson if my memory served me well.
That day sticks in my memory for reasons other than the football though. The IRA were at the height of their game then and we had to get of 3 tube trains that day due to bomb scares. Not a pleasant experience when you consider that hooliganism was also at it's height back then sharing the platform of a tube with other London firms!
We went to Oxford Street before the game and back then choice of fast food outlets was limited. We went to a wimpy burger bar and sat down stairs. In the Monday after that wimpy was blown up by an IRA bomb killing the army disposal man. I've often wondered if that bomb was meant to go off on the Saturday when casualties,including me and my mate, would have been far higher. Made my blood run cold watching the news on that Monday evening.
Anyway Spurs could have gone top 42,000 packed into the Lane,they were all over us to be honest but Robinson ran onto a lovely through ball and put it in the net. The Spurs fans didn't take too kindly to that and the walk down to Seven Sisters station was interesting!

scary stuff that,it was bad enough running the gauntlet back then,but yeah bombs that's another ball game

I missed that spurs game,was doing 3 months short,sharp,shock at her majesty's pleasure,seem to remember being allowed to watch the football scores in the canteen on saturday afternoons and I let out a loud YES!

used to get letters from home with the newspaper clippings inside on reports of the Brighton matches,missed some bloody good games as I recall

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here