Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Bloom changed?

The Brighton Ace

Nov 14, 2008
Sussex by the sea
Firstly, let's be clear - Tony has transformed our club and I'm truly grateful for that.

However, my question is 'has Bloom changed his approach to Managerial appointments?' Thinking back to the timing of Slade getting the elbow the season following the heroic great escape; we were 1 point above the drop zone in November. What's different? Was it that he was a DK appointment? The style of football we were playing? That Bloom has more patience?

Just an observation like.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Probably trying to get away from the perception that the Albion is a club that does managerial regime change, for whatever reason, at the drop of a hat.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Probably trying to get away from the perception that the Albion is a club that does managerial regime change, for whatever reason, at the drop of a hat.

I don't think that's far from it (though obv i've no first hand knowledge). We've had instability over the past couple of summers due to managerial changes and he's probably trying to stabilise things...but by not acting he risks further instability, especially if things continue and the worst happens.

He's screwed if he does, he's screwed if he doesn't.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And the managerial instability we've had is due to how our board operate. Partially. Swings and roundabouts. Why not try harder to keep the better managers, and be more ruthless with the worse ones?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Working on the basis that if we don't sack him he may feel he'd like to stay for more than a season? I'd rather he'd tried harder to keep the last two :lolol:

Going off topic, anyone remember what month we were put out of our misery with the sacking of Micky Adams Mark 2 ?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Most customers think you should give managers a chance until it is your manager! Like the relegation clause in players contracts you would think there was a walk clause if you are in the relegation zone by Christmas etc.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
'has Bloom changed his approach to Managerial appointments?' Thinking back to the timing of Slade getting the elbow the season following the heroic great escape; we were 1 point above the drop zone in November. What's different? Was it that he was a DK appointment? The style of football we were playing? That Bloom has more patience?
I have come to realise what many of you found out some years back. It doesn't matter what I think.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Working on the basis that if we don't sack him he may feel he'd like to stay for more than a season? I'd rather he'd tried harder to keep the last two :lolol:

Going off topic, anyone remember what month we were put out of our misery with the sacking of Micky Adams Mark 2 ?

It was the morning of the Millwall game 21st February.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Has Bloom changed

No, he's still got the balls to carry the plan through. It's just a few needy fans that want everything yesterday, and can't handle not winning that may have changed.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
And the managerial instability we've had is due to how our board operate. Partially. Swings and roundabouts. Why not try harder to keep the better managers, and be more ruthless with the worse ones?

Well said. I also don't think it's at all a coincidence that the two appointments made since they forced Poyet out have both had - whatever their abilities - rather retiring, diffident, reflective dispositions. I very much doubt that the club could handle - or would want to handle - a strong, dynamic personality that's not afraid to speak its mind in the manager's chair at the moment. And you sometimes need a bit of that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Drop of a hat ? I don't think we've ever had that reputation. Salde and Wilkins maybe weren't given much of an opportunity, and Hinsh...well, that was a doomed appointment from the off. But half the time our managers walk out - at Withdean we lost Adams Mk1, Coppell and Taylor. Here we've lost Oscar. Christ knows what happened with Gus, but that certainly wasn't a sacking we were looking to make until he kicked off with his own agenda.

Bloom has obviously screwed up this time with Hyypia, his first major rickett which I hope he puts right this month. But I don't think we're a hire-em-fire-em club at all.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Has Bloom changed

No, he's still got the balls to carry the plan through. It's just a few needy fans that want everything yesterday, and can't handle not winning that may have changed.

Agree with this. It's us that have changed by expecting and demanding instant success. For me the jury is still out on Sami, I think he has a case to answer from his critics, but it is still early in his tenure. Sometimes appointments work out, sometimes they don't. I do not think it is a question of Bloom changing, but just the possibility that one of his choices may not have worked out.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Im not sure we have had many more managers than most though in the last 4 years though have we ?
Id say were good with that, and have made no changes mid season..?
In fact I would go so far as to say we are very stable when it comes to managers..?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It was the morning of the Millwall game 21st February.

Well we dug ourselves out of that hole, so plenty of time to give Sami more chances to prove he is not close to useless as a manager :smile:

By 21 Feb we could be chasing a playoff place...

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Christ knows what happened with Gus, but that certainly wasn't a sacking we were looking to make until he kicked off with his own agenda.

I really don't think that's the case at all: the die was cast when Barber was appointed. I reckon Bloom knew that he was almost certainly appointing him at Gus' expense. From another thread, this snippet is important and well worth highlighting:

Due to Barber sacking Ramos and Poyet at Spurs Gus was not happy at Barbers appointment but said he would give it six months - this a a fact as told directly to me by Charlie Oatway! Barbers subsequent cost-cutting measures then just exacerbated not only the rift with Barber but ensured there was then a rift with Bloom and the club generally!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I really don't think that's the case at all: the die was cast when Barber was appointed. I reckon Bloom knew that he was almost certainly appointing him at Gus' expense. From another thread, this snippet is important and well worth highlighting:

So Poyet wasn't happy that Barber put the price of pies & pints up? Weird...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Gus was doing an excellent job. Why would Bloom deliberately torpedo that by appointing Barber with a view to forcing him out ? That makes no sense. Bearing in mind Bloom backed him to the tune of around £2-£3m in that January transfer window as well.

Doesn't sound to me like he was trying to force him out on the sly.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Drop of a hat ? I don't think we've ever had that reputation. Salde and Wilkins maybe weren't given much of an opportunity, and Hinsh...well, that was a doomed appointment from the off. But half the time our managers walk out - at Withdean we lost Adams Mk1, Coppell and Taylor. Here we've lost Oscar. Christ knows what happened with Gus, but that certainly wasn't a sacking we were looking to make until he kicked off with his own agenda.

Bloom has obviously screwed up this time with Hyypia, his first major rickett which I hope he puts right this month. But I don't think we're a hire-em-fire-em club at all.

I don't think that either. But we sure get through a helluva lot of managers. So the perception is probably there.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In answer to the thread title though, I don't know if Bloom has changed, but my perception of him has. I still trust him of course, I have no doubts that he ultimately has only the best interests of BHAFC at heart. But that delusional statement he came out with a few weeks back, claiming that this is a squad which is capable of challenging for the top 6, really shook me. Because for the first time, it sounded to me like he wasn't quite playing with a straight bat. Frankly, it was complete bobbins and insulted the intelligence.

I know he has to remain positive and upbeat of course. But we can all see that the quality and experience we once had has gradually been eroded since Gus was binned off, and the bargain-bucket replacements are quite evidently closer to L1 standard than being anywhere NEAR top 6 material. Where we once had a spine in the team comprising of PIG - Upson - Bridcutt - Ulloa, we've for the most part this season had Stockdale - Greer - Gardner - Baldock, or pick any other combo from the multitude of loans and misfits in Hyypias revolving door policy. They're all inferior. Add in the (horrifying) revelation that this is now apparentrly the most lavishly paid squad of players in the clubs history, and with Blooms managerial appointment now floundering so badly...my faith and belief in Bloom has been shaken of late. Not in his intentions, but in his judgement.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Gus was doing an excellent job. Why would Bloom deliberately torpedo that by appointing Barber with a view to forcing him out ? That makes no sense. Bearing in mind Bloom backed him to the tune of around £2-£3m in that January transfer window as well.

Doesn't sound to me like he was trying to force him out on the sly.

I'm sure there was a significant part of him that hoped - probably against hope and perhaps naively - that there wouldn't be a problem between them. No-one could blame him one bit for trying.

But I also suspect that once things blew up - as inevitable as night follows day in 20-20 hindsight vision - he'd rather keep Barber than Gus. Could you ever see those two working happily together?

I think chief exes are more replaceable than good managers, as we've found out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here