Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Whistle Stop being taken over by The George Payne?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
News has reached me, via FB, that the Whistle Stop in Boundary Road - repeat nominated on this very board as worst / scariest pub in the city of Brighton and Hove - has been taken over by the people who run The George Payne - probably nominated somewhere as expensive middle class family local of the year. Will Portslade finally get the gastro pub to go with its (ridiculous) new house prices? Where will the street drinkers go when they've got some cash? Will the Vic get a dedicated horse racing television. Will staff at the railway station go in to MOURNING? And will the newly affluent of Portslade eat their posh burgers and join a Port and Cheese club next to Portslade's least regarded TOILETS. Interesting times ahead, at least if you like people watching and general car crashes.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Any pub with a sign in the 'garden' kindly requesting patrons refrain from throwing glasses onto the railway line probably has potential to go up market.

One shudders to think what will happen to the Vic -only a stone's throw away.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I was once persuaded to do karaoke at the Whistle Stop by a colleague. I'd never been in the dive before so you can imagine my horror when I walked in to be stared down by a load of coked-up Grant Mitchells in St.Georges flag t-shirts (from under the tasteful plastic St.Georges flag bar bunting). Didn't help that one of my mates was a bit of a hippy. So we decided it was all or nothing, death or glory, and got hammered before doing a three-man rendition of the Wonder Stuff's 'Size of a Cow', complete with Cockney knees-up dancing, having been announced as Fernando Bernando - all the way from Lancing via Upper Beeding. Amazingly the Mitchells loved it and we got cheers and drinks whilst the compare just stood there bemused and a little crestfallen. I've not been back since.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
Any pub with a sign in the 'garden' kindly requesting patrons refrain from throwing glasses onto the railway line probably has potential to go up market.

One shudders to think what will happen to the Vic -only a stone's throw away.

You mean a pint glass throw away haha

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
News has reached me, via FB, that the Whistle Stop in Boundary Road - repeat nominated on this very board as worst / scariest pub in the city of Brighton and Hove - has been taken over by the people who run The George Payne - probably nominated somewhere as expensive middle class family local of the year. Will Portslade finally get the gastro pub to go with its (ridiculous) new house prices? Where will the street drinkers go when they've got some cash? Will the Vic get a dedicated horse racing television. Will staff at the railway station go in to MOURNING? And will the newly affluent of Portslade eat their posh burgers and join a Port and Cheese club next to Portslade's least regarded TOILETS. Interesting times ahead, at least if you like people watching and general car crashes.

Any news on the Whistlestop in Station Road?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Any news on the Whistlestop in Station Road?

YAWN.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
I was once persuaded to do karaoke at the Whistle Stop by a colleague. I'd never been in the dive before so you can imagine my horror when I walked in to be stared down by a load of coked-up Grant Mitchells in St.Georges flag t-shirts (from under the tasteful plastic St.Georges flag bar bunting). Didn't help that one of my mates was a bit of a hippy. So we decided it was all or nothing, death or glory, and got hammered before doing a three-man rendition of the Wonder Stuff's 'Size of a Cow', complete with Cockney knees-up dancing, having been announced as Fernando Bernando - all the way from Lancing via Upper Beeding. Amazingly the Mitchells loved it and we got cheers and drinks whilst the compare just stood there bemused and a little crestfallen. I've not been back since.

You should see it during happy hour.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Out of morbid curiosity, I'd like to see the refurbishment. Spent many a night in there in my late teens and my early twenties. So . . .
:needpics:

Can you polish a turd?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Out of morbid curiosity, I'd like to see the refurbishment. Spent many a night in there in my late teens and my early twenties. So . . .

Can you polish a turd?

Game of pool?

The outside is painted green and it's been renamed the Railway Inn is all I can offer at the moment.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Can you polish a turd?

Well actually you can if you ever went into The Kendal Arms, then now go into The George Payne, a turd has not only been polished, it's been transformed into the finest belgium chocolate truffle!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here