crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Derby wary of Seagulls threat
by Dickie Reynolds
ADVERTISEMENT
Comments (1)
COACH Paul Simpson says there will be no room for complacency when Derby County face struggling Brighton.

The last time the teams met was in a two-leg play-off semi-final in May when the Rams recorded a 6-2 aggregate victory.

They meet again on Saturday with Derby leading the Championship by a point and Brighton in the bottom three, having won only three of their 19 games.

Defeat by Fulham, who Derby have beaten twice this season, saw Brighton slip into the drop zone at the weekend, while the Rams lost 2-0 at Leeds.

Derby are at home again after successive away fixtures and their record at the iPro Stadium is strong – five wins and three draws in nine League games and only eight goals conceded.

“It is a good game for us, a home game against a side struggling for confidence but a game we cannot afford to be complacent in, we know if we turn up and play we should win, but if we're not on our game Brighton will no doubt raise their game coming to our stadium and playing top of the league and are capable of taking advantage,” Simpson warned.

“Yes, we all know they (Brighton) have gone into the bottom three and they have had a tough time but they are a high quality football side and we have to make sure we play our football better than we did at Leeds at the weekend.

“We also have to make sure we continue to work as hard as we do.

“We hope Saturday at Leeds was just a blip.”

One win in 15 league matches has left Brighton boss Sami Hyypia urging his players to take collective responsibility and show the character required to haul themselves up the table.

“If we feel too sorry for ourselves and miserable, and continue doing the wrong things or playing well until we score then forget everything, then we are not going to get out of it,” said Hyypia.

“Now the loan window is closed and we have six loan players already, so we can’t add any numbers until January and we still have a few games before January, it's a shame but that's the way it is and we must deal with it.

“So we need to all regroup, be together, help each other, encourage each other and, hopefully, we have one or two stepping up on the character side or mental side, then we get out of it.”

Former England striker Darren Bent put Brighton ahead against Fulham on his debut following his loan move from Aston Villa.

“Darren is a good addition but he can’t save us alone,” added Hyypia.

“Everyone has to pick up, toughen up, and maybe concentrate more.”

Dickies Decision

After last weekends shock defeat the Rams will be looking at getting back to winning ways and the opopostion coul;dn't be much kinder. After humiliating the Seagulls in the play-off semi finals the Rams have arguably improved whereas the Seagulls have gone backwards. There is only one outocme here, home win and I am backing the Rams for another rout.
4-0

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/DER...tory-25100294-detail/story.html#ixzz3L1AyYAfQ
Follow us: [MENTION=29384]Derby[/MENTION]Telegraph on Twitter | derbytelegraph on Facebook

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I have to concur with the writer of the article. We are going to get battered. 4-0 may well be a flattering result. I expect us to lose by a lot more.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No idea why they are not very confident of an easy win.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I have to concur with the writer of the article. We are going to get battered. 4-0 may well be a flattering result. I expect us to lose by a lot more.
Agreed. I'd settle for a 6-0 thrashing if offered. 6-0 is just about within the bounds of normality, when you start going above that it gets embarrassing. Double figures must be a possibility.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
If we score first that will fire up Derby and there crowd to the highest of extents. Would settle for a 0-0. Wheel Loose.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Dickies Decision

After last weekends shock defeat the Rams will be looking at getting back to winning ways and the opopostion coul;dn't be much kinder. After humiliating the Seagulls in the play-off semi finals the Rams have arguably improved whereas the Seagulls have gone backwards. There is only one outocme here, home win and I am backing the Rams for another rout.
4-0

Dickie seems very well named.

As a sports reporter, you may have expected him to know that the rout last year began ten minutes after our Captain joined our player of the season and other first choice centre half on the injury list, his place being taken by a reserve team full back. We may have struggled this year, but we haven't yet fielded a defence as weak as Calderon, Chicksen, Dunk & Ward, we also haven't yet conceded 4 goals to anyone and have only lost by more than one goal in one league game.

A stuffing is possible, but its probably as likely as an away win. The percentage bet would be a tight game with Derby probably edging it. I guess he is either trying to play to his audience's hopes and prejudices or he is just guessing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we compete and lose by the odd goal or two I will accept that maybe he is not as clueless as I believe he is and maybe he can dig us out of this hole. I expect a thrashing though.

D

Deleted member 22389

Too often I have said to myself this is the turning point and it never arrives. Think we are going to get beaton tomorrow, and I think if we lose against Millwall that will be the end of SH.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
So SH is saying although we have 6 loan players and also we have the players we signed during the summer etc, he still wants to bring in more players !!
Something is seriously wrong with this club and it's set up .

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Some of the above suggestions relating to 'realistic' score lines are ridiculous. Yes, we'll probably lose by a couple, but no team has stuffed us yet this season, and Derby themselves lost 2-0 at Leeds last week - a game in which we won 2-0 in the equivalent fixture.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm not buying this "we're going to be thrashed". We're not that bad defensively, we just can't score. I'd expect a 2..maybe 3-0 loss but nothing more.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'm not buying this "we're going to be thrashed". We're not that bad defensively, we just can't score. I'd expect a 2..maybe 3-0 loss but nothing more.

Quite, it wasn't long ago we went to free scoring top of the league Forest and drew 0-0 in a game we could and should have won by a couple of goals

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
We're not that bad defensively, we just can't score.

Actually we have upped our goal rate recently. We have scored an average of 1.6 goals per game over the last 5 matches, compared with 0.92 over the previous 14. What we seem incapable of doing is winning. When we score we concede and when we don't concede we don't score either. We went from conceding an average of 0.93 goals per game in the first 14 to 1.8 per game over the last five.

This suggests to me that the midfield is the problem, they only seem capable of doing one half of their job, either attacking or defending competently, but never both. This certainly was the impression I got from the second half on Saturday.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
We're a 'high quality' football side?

image.jpg

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
'We have 6 loan players and can't add any more til January' says Sami....real morale booster for all, how to really big up your players and send team spirit sky high

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Derby wary of Seagulls threat
by Dickie Reynolds
ADVERTISEMENT
Comments (1)
COACH Paul Simpson says there will be no room for complacency when Derby County face struggling Brighton.

The last time the teams met was in a two-leg play-off semi-final in May when the Rams recorded a 6-2 aggregate victory.

They meet again on Saturday with Derby leading the Championship by a point and Brighton in the bottom three, having won only three of their 19 games.

Defeat by Fulham, who Derby have beaten twice this season, saw Brighton slip into the drop zone at the weekend, while the Rams lost 2-0 at Leeds.

Derby are at home again after successive away fixtures and their record at the iPro Stadium is strong – five wins and three draws in nine League games and only eight goals conceded.

“It is a good game for us, a home game against a side struggling for confidence but a game we cannot afford to be complacent in, we know if we turn up and play we should win, but if we're not on our game Brighton will no doubt raise their game coming to our stadium and playing top of the league and are capable of taking advantage,” Simpson warned.

“Yes, we all know they (Brighton) have gone into the bottom three and they have had a tough time but they are a high quality football side and we have to make sure we play our football better than we did at Leeds at the weekend.

“We also have to make sure we continue to work as hard as we do.

“We hope Saturday at Leeds was just a blip.”

One win in 15 league matches has left Brighton boss Sami Hyypia urging his players to take collective responsibility and show the character required to haul themselves up the table.

“If we feel too sorry for ourselves and miserable, and continue doing the wrong things or playing well until we score then forget everything, then we are not going to get out of it,” said Hyypia.

“Now the loan window is closed and we have six loan players already, so we can’t add any numbers until January and we still have a few games before January, it's a shame but that's the way it is and we must deal with it.

“So we need to all regroup, be together, help each other, encourage each other and, hopefully, we have one or two stepping up on the character side or mental side, then we get out of it.”

Former England striker Darren Bent put Brighton ahead against Fulham on his debut following his loan move from Aston Villa.

“Darren is a good addition but he can’t save us alone,” added Hyypia.

“Everyone has to pick up, toughen up, and maybe concentrate more.”

Dickies Decision

4-0

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/DER...tory-25100294-detail/story.html#ixzz3L1AyYAfQ
Follow us: [MENTION=29384]Derby[/MENTION]Telegraph on Twitter | derbytelegraph on Facebook

:bla::bla::bla::bla: weeel looooose:moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here