Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paddy 'the myth' - a perspective

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I watched him for the under 21s on Monday night and first half he looked like he couldn't give a shit. That sort of attitude is not going to get him fit or picked for the first team. Was improved second half but still only showed very little.

I saw him too on Monday and thought he worked hard and certainly provided more quality than the other 2 senior players (Toko, Holla).

For those lazily slagging him off, you have to answer the question, in the absence of Kaz and (apparently) Teixeira, where is the creativity going to come from? We have a class striker on loan (acquired by the 'clueless' management team: credit where it is due as well as the deserved criticism on other acquisitions) and need someone to feed him.

I agree we need to dig in and battle at Derby, but I would like to see Paddy as an option on the bench Saturday.

PG

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Aaron Hughes: “I see Paddy day to day now being at Brighton. I see his quality every single training session. We all know what he can do. Paddy brings that flair, that quality.”

I know he comes from "Oireland" the land of "half-pissed pub teams" (Christ - are we back in the 70s??) but its fair to assume that Aaron's assessment of a fellow-professional carries more weight than the borderline-offensive post above

Is he going to slag off a team mate, its a closed book on comments like this to extend the myth that something different and mysterious happens at training sessions thath take place twice a week for 1 to 2 hours. Like the 'works hard in training cliche' shouldn't they all do that! ffs These guys ar creaming it in by being not very good, unable to get inot a first team thats in the relegation zone. They clearly need someone to lead them!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The problem with players like Paddy, Kemy and actually probably the majority of our first team squad is that they need to be motivated on an individual basis to give of their best every game and to understand how they fit into a well drilled and well organised team with a clear tactical approach to each opposing team. Not entirely their fault then that they have been allowed to wither on the vine.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oi, Holla's not pointless.

I'll give you the rest though :down:
Although Al-Habsi was necessary, he turned out to be not needed, but he was necessary.

Holla is grouped in that list because he has turned out to be another failed summer signing - Hyypia would still rather borrow someone else than play him in the team.

And how can Al-Habsi be necessary but not needed ? Bafflingly pointless signing when we already had Ankergren as backup to a very capable looking Walton (and Al-habsi was hardly available for us anyway). But its just another example of the complete and utter shambles our player recruitment has been this year.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I'm sorry but when you are in a relegation battle players like Paddy are a luxury.

I live watching him going on his mazy runs like anyone but so far we haven't scored as a result, but how many have we conceded from having a lightweight player on the pitch.

Don't agree with this. We carry on with the same players and style as we are, we get relegated. We NEED some spark of creativity. Not necessarily saying Paddy is the answer (although I am a fan and wish he would be given more chances to play, Darren Bent would finish these chances too), but something needs to change.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
With the wingers attacking Fulham on Saturday and BHA unlucky not to score on a few occasions in the first 20 minutes, surely that was the time to bring on a player that takes players on, but he weren't even on the bench! Instead, we get Ince and although I like Ince, the game changed big time after Lua Lua's exit.

Crazy that he is not even on the bench in my opinion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Holla is grouped in that list because he has turned out to be another failed summer signing - Hyypia would still rather borrow someone else than play him in the team.

And how can Al-Habsi be necessary but not needed ? Bafflingly pointless signing when we already had Ankergren as backup to a very capable looking Walton (and Al-habsi was hardly available for us anyway). But its just another example of the complete and utter shambles our player recruitment has been this year.
Because at the time the club didn't know exactly how capable Walton was.
Had he freaked out we would have been left with Casper and nobody.

If Stockdale were to be injured again, for a series of games, I would expect the club to bring in another loan 'keeper.
The only difference being this time they won't rush into the signing and grab the very best they can.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
It is my opinion that he utter turd. I mean UTTER.
Might be handy at 5 a side, 10 mins each way. That's his limit.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

If Stockdale were to be injured again, for a series of games, I would expect the club to bring in another loan 'keeper.
The only difference being this time they won't rush into the signing and grab the very best they can.

Prhaps if he was badly crocked, but Stockdales hand injury was fairly minor, he wasn't expected to be out for very long. Between Ankergren and Walton, we had enough cover IMO. Whats the point of having them on the payroll if the perception is that they can't step in when needed ?

The fact that Al-Habsi's spell was interrupted by (a) playing Wigan and (b) him playing for Oman made it more of a nonsense. No big deal in the great scheme of things, but its just another example of the chaotic recruitment going on this season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Prhaps if he was badly crocked, but Stockdales hand injury was fairly minor, he wasn't expected to be out for very long. Between Ankergren and Walton, we had enough cover IMO. Whats the point of having them on the payroll if the perception is that they can't step in when needed ?

The fact that Al-Habsi's spell was interrupted by (a) playing Wigan and (b) him playing for Oman made it more of a nonsense. No big deal in the great scheme of things, but its just another example of the chaotic recruitment going on this season.
We just don't know who else was available.
El-H ticked all the boxes, bar availability!!.
If it was him or nothing, I've got no problem with the club making that.

If they made the same decision again later on this season, then I think the moaning would be justified.

Re Holla, I still think your being harsh, he's been replaced by Ince and has said no preseason coupled with Tues/Sat football took its toll.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010

If I remember rightly we signed Al-Habsi after the Spurs game, in which Walton looked more than comfortable. That couple with his England experience suggested we wouldn't need anyone else in, which a few of us did say at the time so not just hindsight.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We just don't know who else was available.
El-H ticked all the boxes, bar availability!!.
If it was him or nothing, I've got no problem with the club making that.

If they made the same decision again later on this season, then I think the moaning would be justified.

Re Holla, I still think your being harsh, he's been replaced by Ince and has said no preseason coupled with Tues/Sat football took its toll.

Its not just that Al-Habsi was hardly available for us anyway - its the fact that we have what I'd consider 2 fairly capable keepers on our books already, and yet STILL saw fit to go and get (yet another) loan in to cover a handful of games. It was a nonsense.

As for Holla, I don't dislike him as a player. But despite no pre-season, I'd have expected his fitness to come along during the course of the season. He's played 13 games and what, he's burnt out now ? I'd FAR rather see him in the team than Gardner, but apparently he doesn't feel up to it. Marvellous.

Garyh

May 28, 2013
Paddy was our best player at Spurs, played deeper helping out Calde as well as going on a couple of runs, so he's definitely not lightweight, before that he came on against Watford and done well, since the Spurs game he's had 15 minutes against Blackburn, I can't understand why he wasn't on the bench against Fulham as he's not on loan, I also think if he was given some proper game time he would do well, but I don't think Hyppia will give him any time unless, Bennett, Solly, Colunga, Caskey or Gardner are all out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If I remember rightly we signed Al-Habsi after the Spurs game, in which Walton looked more than comfortable. That couple with his England experience suggested we wouldn't need anyone else in, which a few of us did say at the time so not just hindsight.

Fair enough.
Looking at the worse case scenario had Walton got injured and we'd gone into a game with Casper and nobody on the bench, NSC would have justifiably melted.

For me it was a 50/50, damned if you do damned if you don't decision, and the club went on the side of caution.

In a season that appears to be going to hell in a handcart, NSC getting titsy (I'm not specifically saying Easy and this thread, just in general) about this, young player 'potential', a lack of touchline histrionics, tone of voice, etc etc etc, seems a little pointless.

Esp when there's a list as long as your arm of actual problems and issues deserving of a moanathon.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Fair enough.
Looking at the worse case scenario had Walton got injured and we'd gone into a game with Casper and nobody on the bench, NSC would have justifiably melted.

For me it was a 50/50, damned if you do damned if you don't decision, and the club went on the side of caution.

In a season that appears to be going to hell in a handcart, NSC getting titsy (I'm not specifically saying Easy and this thread, just in general) about this, young player 'potential', a lack of touchline histrionics, tone of voice, etc etc etc, seems a little pointless.

Esp when there's a list as long as your arm of actual problems and issues deserving of a moanathon.

Very true. Signing Al-Habsi isn't to blame for our league position or form, or even a real indicator of our poor recruitment, just seemed a strange choice and a bit of a waste of time/money when we were playing Wigan in that period too.

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
Bewildered when the North stand started chanting "we want Paddy" last game. Must've missed the game he did something noteworthy like LuaLua or shown a similar commitment on the pitch similar to CMS.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Bewildered when the North stand started chanting "we want Paddy" last game. Must've missed the game he did something noteworthy like LuaLua or shown a similar commitment on the pitch similar to CMS.

I haven't written Paddy off, but I'm not sure he'll get many chances to show us what we are missing.

Clearly Paddy isn't seen as a regular starter, which suggests he isn't exactly tearing up the training ground. A handful of mainly brief cameos as a late sub won't help. With the team often having to chase games there is so much pressure and expectation on him to work a miracle in the dying minutes of games. Yes it is a pity that one or two of his mazy runs haven't resulted in a goal (not always his fault) otherwise he would be a minor Albion legend. I'd love to see him embarrass a couple of Championship defences that and I'm sure it would restore some of that buzz around The Amex.

However I can recall superstar Vicente being brought on as a late sub in similar circumstances and struggling to make an impact, it isn't easy.

Clearly there is a special footballing brain inside Paddy's head but I'm not sure the coaching staff have found the right buttons to press. Maybe Paddy himself struggles to focus. I also wonder about his fitness levels as he seems to have a single gear, set to 'jog', which makes it all the more amazing when he does drift past opposing players as if they don't exist.

With KLL injured we are desperately short on flair to frighten our opponents. With Elliott Bennett and Solly March available and Paddy (or Teixeira) not even making the bench then I can't see Paddy getting much playing time. Even if we have a change of manager Paddy might not be flavour of the month, especially if we are still fighting a rearguard action against relegation.

Buckeejit

Sep 21, 2014
I haven't written Paddy off, but I'm not sure he'll get many chances to show us what we are missing.

Clearly Paddy isn't seen as a regular starter, which suggests he isn't exactly tearing up the training ground. A handful of mainly brief cameos as a late sub won't help. With the team often having to chase games there is so much pressure and expectation on him to work a miracle in the dying minutes of games. Yes it is a pity that one or two of his mazy runs haven't resulted in a goal (not always his fault) otherwise he would be a minor Albion legend. I'd love to see him embarrass a couple of Championship defences that and I'm sure it would restore some of that buzz around The Amex.

However I can recall superstar Vicente being brought on as a late sub in similar circumstances and struggling to make an impact, it isn't easy.

Clearly there is a special footballing brain inside Paddy's head but I'm not sure the coaching staff have found the right buttons to press. Maybe Paddy himself struggles to focus. I also wonder about his fitness levels as he seems to have a single gear, set to 'jog', which makes it all the more amazing when he does drift past opposing players as if they don't exist.

With KLL injured we are desperately short on flair to frighten our opponents. With Elliott Bennett and Solly March available and Paddy (or Teixeira) not even making the bench then I can't see Paddy getting much playing time. Even if we have a change of manager Paddy might not be flavour of the month, especially if we are still fighting a rearguard action against relegation.

A thoughtful, well-considered post, sir. As pointed out earlier, since the Spurs game he's only had 15 minutes in the first team so it seems a bit premature to assume that there's not a lot more he can give to the team... as for previous comparisons to CMS's "commitment", very fond of him 'n all but his "look at me boss, I'm busy!" scurrying around ultimately became very wearisome while those Paddy cameos frequently got us on the edge of our seats - if we'd had Bent instead of O'Grady in those games, things could have been very different...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here