Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paddy 'the myth' - a perspective

Buckeejit

Sep 21, 2014
Firstly, hands up, I’m a fan – admittedly this is largely based on fiercely partisan Northern Irish allegiances, those killer moments on YouTube that evoke Bestie and the reliable testimony of hard-nosed Celtic fans I know who think the world of him. Basically, when I heard he was coming to the Albion, I felt like a kid on Christmas Eve. Okay, I realise that fits in with the notion of ‘Paddy the myth’ that’s been touted on here ie. the suggestion that his talent/ability is romanticised to the point of lunacy and he’s merely some lazy-arsed Fancy Dan who’s capable of a few mazy runs after which he invariably loses the ball.

But, if there really is some prevalent ‘Paddy the myth’ that bamboozles fans into thinking he’s great when he’s actually shite, how come his arrival at Brighton was greeted with no fanfare whatsoever (“Paddy who?” was the typical reaction I experienced from fellow fans). Aside from one enthusiastic web article on Give Me Sport and those YouTube fan compilations, if there’s a ‘mythology’ around Paddy, it’s a pretty feckin low-key one!

The point I’m making is that the genuine groundswell of enthusiasm for Paddy earlier in the season happened organically amongst Albion fans and was based on those rare cameos when he came on as a sub and suddenly brought some magic, guile and creativity which had previously been sorely lacking... hence often getting the biggest cheer when his name was announced, hence his name repeatedly being brought up in the post-match Radio Sussex phone-ins, hence the Argus articles, hence the songs, hence the ‘No Paddy No Party’ t-shirts. More recently, the opportunities Hyphhia has give him to shine have been fleeting and rare (the golden chance he put on a plate for the hapless O’Grady against Rochester springs to mind), his confidence/composure has suffered and ultimately I think the longest I’ve ever seen Paddy on the pitch at the Amex was when he was playing for Barnsley last season and my eyes – nor the eyes of others who where there that evening – didn’t deceive me. He was class that night – the man of the match without doubt.

I’m not deluding myself about the difference one player can make on their own and I realise his shortcomings (he’s not the Messiah – nor is he a naughty boy!) but at a pretty dire time for the club when we badly need our spirits lifted, to re-paraphrase John Lennon - all I am saying, is give Pad a chance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKNt1_TJYpo

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Good post
I'm a paddy Believer, would be in my starting 11 every time
So what if he is accused of lacking in tracking back for defensive duties, that's what the holding defensive midfield player is for
Sadly the free spirit footballer has been taken over by robotic formations and tac tics, the likes of CANTONA, GAZZA, BEST, MARSH,BOWLES, VICENTE & JOHNNY CRUMPLIN are becoming a thing of the past
Modern footballer is dying on it's arse and losing the Personalities

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Exciting player or football equivalent of the Oozlum bird?

He's probably never going to be a 90 minute player and certainly not in the same league as Vicente but hopefully the best is yet to come.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I watched him for the under 21s on Monday night and first half he looked like he couldn't give a shit. That sort of attitude is not going to get him fit or picked for the first team. Was improved second half but still only showed very little.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I watched him for the under 21s on Monday night and first half he looked like he couldn't give a shit. That sort of attitude is not going to get him fit or picked for the first team. Was improved second half but still only showed very little.
Was he on the pitch for 90 minutes?

Buckeejit

Sep 21, 2014
The reason Barnsley released him is he is a waste of talent, he has done nothing here to disprove that. Just because a FEW internet GEEKS think it is TRENDY to support him won't change that FACT

You're entitled to your opinion sir but to suggest that the massive cheers that he's got at the Amex have been created by a few internet geeks is somewhat wide of the mark

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

I saw him in a DS game a few weeks ago when he was the best player on the pitch, worked harder than anyone else and played the full 90. Didn't do him much good so he probably can't be arsed now.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We don't need him or his ability to pick a defence splitting pass. It's not as if we got an England centre forward who once cost £24m and was the prem's leading goalscorer, or we are in a relegation scrap. Who needs a player like that??? rather have JFC everyday of the week.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Begs the question of why quality players like McCourt and Holla are even having to turn out for the U21's? Poor man management would be my answer.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You seem to be basing your point on the argument that because people started raving about him after a couple of cameo appearance where he had a couple of trademark runs, that it somehow disproves the idea fans have gotten carried away over their praise for him.

Which is clearly flawed. The myth can easily have grown since he joined us, especially with threads like this after 2 league cup (v lower division opponents) and one league appearance: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?309697-Is-Paddy-McCourt-the-best-Albion-player-ever

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm sorry but when you are in a relegation battle players like Paddy are a luxury.

I live watching him going on his mazy runs like anyone but so far we haven't scored as a result, but how many have we conceded from having a lightweight player on the pitch.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Yeah but the ' MYTH' has also been overdone on all the other signings as well with all the best bits put into a 5-minute montage but completely overlooking the years of dross that goes with it

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
When did he do that then.
Straws and clutching come to mind.
We need 11 hard *******s on the pitch to get us out of this.

But we haven't got that either. I'm resigned to the fact we are down if Hyypia stays, I can't see anything that gives me any hope he can turn it around, he really is the most clueless manager I have ever seen...I can't believe he is still here tbh. Bloom in my eyes is really damaging his reputation in some fans eyes..Yes he is a legend but that doesn't mean he is immune to bad decisions. He is a fan at the end of the day, he might know a balance sheet when he see's one, but he knows no more or less about football, than the vast majority of fans and he has got this wrong, on a massive scale.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
No thanks. I'm bored of flashy players of no substance who will provide 20seconds of flukey 'excellence' per game and otherwise be horse shit.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
But we haven't got that either. I'm resigned to the fact we are down if Hyypia stays, I can't see anything that gives me any hope he can turn it around, he really is the most clueless manager I have ever seen...I can't believe he is still here tbh. Bloom in my eyes is really damaging his reputation in some fans eyes..Yes he is a legend but that doesn't mean he is immune to bad decisions. He is a fan at the end of the day, he might know a balance sheet when he see's one, but he knows no more or less about football, than the vast majority of fans and he has got this wrong, on a massive scale.

I'm going to church this weekend to pray:wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here