Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gorgeous George's Autumn Statement

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can't see a thread on this yet, although I'm not surprised our left-wing fringe are keeping their heads down.

It was an absolute triumph from the chancellor who put the 'Great' back into 'Great Britain' after the last lot highlighted, bolded and underlined the 'bust' in 'boom & bust'.

It's very difficult to pick out an individual highlight when there were so many, but the complete overhaul of the ridiculous stamp duty bands is long overdue. What is your favourite?

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
Calling a tax on buying a property ' stamp duty ' is even more ridiculous than calling a tax on earnings ' national insurance '

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Yes, I'm loving the stamp duty change, it's been needed for a long time. I'm looking to buy in the not too distant future and there's less of an issue going over £250k now.

No tax on the first £125,000 paid
2% on the portion up to £250,000
5% up to £925,000
10% up to £1.5 million
12% on everything above that.

Wasn't it supposed to be a tax on the rich when it was first introduced? Most people will still have to pay it but the majority will pay a lot less at least.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Yes, I'm loving the stamp duty change, it's been needed for a long time. I'm looking to buy in the not too distant future and there's less of an issue going over £250k now.

5% up to £925,000
10% up to £1.5 million

Wasn't it supposed to be a tax on the rich when it was first introduced? Most people will still have to pay it but the majority will pay a lot less at least.

When does the new Stamp Duty kick in?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Selfish wise - although it's too late for me Postgraduate student loans.

Otherwise the 'google tax' on 25%.

A very good speech.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The government's remaining World War One debt would be paid off

Excellent news if true...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
we will see how much of a triumph it is at the next election
very clever to make those who are already poor make up the deficit
wonder which bank he will work for after he gets turfed out of a cushy job after the next election

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
What an incredible autumn statement. Anyone thinking of returning to the doldrums of Labour held Britain should think again. Blue is the colour......

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

5% up to £925,000
10% up to £1.5 million

Up to £937k will pay less, 98% of sales.
A 275k deal pays £3k not £8k as now but at £2.1m it's £20k more than now....£750m less return to gov

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
we will see how much of a triumph it is at the next election
very clever to make those who are already poor make up the deficit
wonder which bank he will work for after he gets turfed out of a cushy job after the next election

Nothing to help the poor, as ever. Same old nasties.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
"There's still no money, but we are going to spend more on popular measures that will hopefully win us an election".

Is that really the case?

Samuel Tombs, senior UK economist, Capital Economics
"The early indications from the UK Autumn Statement are that the Chancellor has resisted the temptation to hand households any significant tax cuts before next May's general election. The tax and spending measures - the most significant of which is the reform of the stamp duty - ... amount to only a small net giveaway of just £1bn in 2015/16 and a small tightening beyond. "

If they mean they are going to honour the War Bonds or whatever they are called, I doubt very many people will be able to find them after all this time. They're probably worth more on Ebay for their rarity value than they are for their face value!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Am I missing something? All this money being allocated for spending and tax cuts at the same time?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I would have thought the Lefties would be quite chuffed that unemployment down to 5.4% next year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here