Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sepp Blatter: Qatar World Cup workers’ welfare is not Fifa’s responsibility

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"Sepp Blatter said that the welfare of migrant workers involved in building facilities for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar was the responsibility of the companies who hired them, not Fifa.

Speaking during a visit to Sri Lanka, the Fifa president said the workers were employed by companies from Germany, France and other European countries and “they are responsible for their workers and not Fifa”.

Blatter also said the workers were enjoying “better conditions” due to the World Cup.

Qatar has come under increasing scrutiny over its labour practices since Fifa awarded it the right to host the tournament. The wealthy OPEC nation relies heavily on migrant workers drawn mainly from South Asia to build its roads, skyscrapers and stadiums.

A series of stories in the Guardian showed that migrant workers from Nepal, India, Sri Lanka and elsewhere were dying in their hundreds.

Many more were injured in workplace accidents, some left trapped with no passport or insurance, and huge numbers toiled in extreme heat for low wages and lived in inhumane conditions.

The government confirmed in a report that 964 workers from Nepal, India and Bangladesh had died while living and working in the Gulf state in 2012 and 2013."

What a ****ing tosser

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Whilst he is obviously an utter ****, I see his point on this particular issue. The welfare of those workers is not FIFA's 'responsibility'. However, that is not to say that a. FIFA shouldn't have a set of rules that prevents a WC being awarded to nations with suspect workers' rights / human rights generally, and that b. FIFA should not be using its influence to improve things.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I sort of see his point as FIFA aren't employing the workers themselves, so they don't have a direct duty of care BUT I'm amazed that there aren't existing regulations that state successful bidders must meet certain standards when preparing to host a FIFA tournament.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
"Sepp Blatter said that the welfare of migrant workers involved in building facilities for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar was the responsibility of the companies who hired them, not Fifa.

Speaking during a visit to Sri Lanka, the Fifa president said the workers were employed by companies from Germany, France and other European countries and “they are responsible for their workers and not Fifa”.

Blatter also said the workers were enjoying “better conditions” due to the World Cup.

Qatar has come under increasing scrutiny over its labour practices since Fifa awarded it the right to host the tournament. The wealthy OPEC nation relies heavily on migrant workers drawn mainly from South Asia to build its roads, skyscrapers and stadiums.

A series of stories in the Guardian showed that migrant workers from Nepal, India, Sri Lanka and elsewhere were dying in their hundreds.

Many more were injured in workplace accidents, some left trapped with no passport or insurance, and huge numbers toiled in extreme heat for low wages and lived in inhumane conditions.

The government confirmed in a report that 964 workers from Nepal, India and Bangladesh had died while living and working in the Gulf state in 2012 and 2013."

What a ****ing tosser

Those defending or saying oh I can see his point, is Sepp's excuse not akin too him giving the world cup to Nazi Germany back in the day and them using Jewish labour to build the stadiums.....

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

What a ****ing tosser

exactly this

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Those defending or saying oh I can see his point, is Sepp's excuse not akin too him giving the world cup to Nazi Germany back in the day and them using Jewish labour to build the stadiums.....

Is it?

Taking advantage of the desperation of impoverished migrant workers, whilst reprehensible, is a fair stretch from enslaving and persecuting an entire people on racial lines, tbh.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The only way to get rid of this repugnant **** and enforce change is to put pressure on the sponsors to boycott Fifa. A movement really needs to be started.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Is it?

Taking advantage of the desperation of impoverished migrant workers, whilst reprehensible, is a fair stretch from enslaving and persecuting an entire people on racial lines, tbh.

I get your angle, mine is he would still say nothing to do with him or FIFA how the germans built the stadiums.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Whilst he is obviously an utter ****, I see his point on this particular issue. The welfare of those workers is not FIFA's 'responsibility'. However, that is not to say that a. FIFA shouldn't have a set of rules that prevents a WC being awarded to nations with suspect workers' rights / human rights generally, and that b. FIFA should not be using its influence to improve things.

I actually don't.

The corrupt goons have awarded and indeed would have known they were awarding the World Cup to a country with a dodgy track record on human rights. Forgetting all the other shenanigans re the bidding process, they would have known this from the off. To now simply wash their hands of all responsibility and basically say 'nothing to do with me guv' is disgraceful, but of course only to be expected from an idiot like Blatter and his corrupt mob. The Tournament is being run in the name of FIFA and FIFA surely have a responsibility of care for the welfare of workers involved in the building of stadiums that will be used for a FIFA competition. This is how it *should* be in theory of course although as we now the reality is and always was going to be very different.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

FIFA’s primary objective is "to improve the game of football constantly and promote it globally in the light of its unifying, educational, cultural and humanitarian values, particularly through youth and development programmes".

Caring about society and the environment
Football is much more than just a game. Its universal appeal means it has a unique power and reach which must be managed carefully. We believe that we have a duty to society that goes beyond football: to improve the lives of young people and their surrounding communities, to reduce the negative impact of our activities and to make the most we can of the positives.

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/organisation/mission.html

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Blood on their hands..

I can only echo this.

He may have a 'point'. But, Qatar shouldn't have been anywhere NEAR hosting the world cup. The only reason they are is down to these ****ers.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Russia must LOVE the fact that Qatar were given the World Cup, it's directed all the negative attention away from them.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The only way to get rid of this repugnant **** and enforce change is to put pressure on the sponsors to boycott Fifa. A movement really needs to be started.
All English clubs could make sure all their players were on contracts that didn't allow the players to be released mid-season in 2022. Easy question for players (and greedy agents): "Do you want to sign this contract for £50K per week for three years or do you want to play in the World Cup in 30 plus degrees of heat?" That should sort it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Quite surprised that he didn't manage to blame the English FA for deaths of construction workers.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here