Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Retro Argos catalogues

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Saw this linked on another site. For those of a certain age, the toys pages will bring the memories flooding back. Binatone pong machine anyone? Handheld Pacman? Bigtrak?

http://retromash.com/argos/

D

Deleted member 18477

Amazing! Used to spend hours looking through Argos catalogues. Walkmans, Lego, new football to play in the street, goalie gloves, gameboy games, action man, scalextric, hot wheels, micro machines, new bag for school, watches etc.

I remember spending ages, maybe a few years looking at snooker tables (kids size) before my parents finally got me and my brother one for Christmas! That was one of the Best Christmas days ever!

the days before the Internet really took over!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

This - it's just not the same going through Amazon/Argos for ideas in the same way as it is going through Argos/Index/Littlewoods catalogues as a kid, highlighting all the cool things you wanted.
Bollocks to growing up, i'm going to pick up an Argos catalogue.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This - it's just not the same going through Amazon/Argos for ideas in the same way as it is going through Argos/Index/Littlewoods catalogues as a kid, highlighting all the cool things you wanted.

Exactly, writing my Christmas list used to involve going through the toy section of Argos, Kay's and Littlewood's catalogues and writing down all the things I wanted. Needless to say my list was on an A4 piece of paper, usually split into 2 columns. There was no sending a URL, a page number was good enough.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
Amazing! Used to spend hours looking through Argos catalogues. Walkmans, Lego, new football to play in the street, goalie gloves, gameboy games, action man, scalextric, hot wheels, micro machines, new bag for school, watches etc.

I remember spending ages, maybe a few years looking at snooker tables (kids size) before my parents finally got me and my brother one for Christmas! That was one of the Best Christmas days ever!

Back in the day, the Argos catalogue was the internet of shopping. That and the Freemans and Kay catalogues.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
That is fantastic.

Prices on the electrical equipment was crazy.

1991 -

£500 for a crappy sound system
£60 walkman

£100 14" TV

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
WOW!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I've been messing around in the toy sections. How could I forget?? The shower section :love:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Exactly, writing my Christmas list used to involve going through the toy section of Argos, Kay's and Littlewood's catalogues and writing down all the things I wanted. Needless to say my list was on an A4 piece of paper, usually split into 2 columns. There was no sending a URL, a page number was good enough.

They've had a pretty good stab at recreating it. There is an iPad app which kids can use to create their Christmas list in a far nicer fashion than navigating their regular website. Parental settings set the price range per item and how many items they can choose etc. It certainly captured the imagination of my 4-year old and took me back to the process you describe.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Are there retro-Littlewoods, Freemans and Great Universal catalogues knocking about?

It doesn't have to be the whole thing, just the lingerie sections will do.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Good to see the Elizabeth Duke range of fine jewellery was still delighting ladies (and gents) back in the early 1980s.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
The page full of old Casio watches :blush: :love:

I was telling my daughter a couple of years ago how I used to love my old Casio digital watch and she bought me a new but retro copy one for my birthday. I loved it, I have some very expensive watches but this is the one I wear all the time and definitely my favourite.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Argos and Next - still producing hundreds of thousands of old telephone book-sized catalogues for their customers several times a year. Is this 2014 or 1986?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Having looked at that I can say a) I wish I still had my Star Wars toys and b) I still wear a Casio watch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here