Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cavity Wall Insulation

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Howdy

As Winter is upon us (not proper Winter, but you know) the niggling feeling enters my tiny brain about bills etc. We were able to get all new doors and windows during the summer which has helped the heat loss and the sound reduction has been brilliant, but it still feels a bit chillier than I'd like. I know I could turn the heating on etc, but i'm trying not to unless we really need it.
Now, I live on the end of a terrace. The house was built...mid-90's I believe as part of an estate. The inside walls are just plasterboard (far from ideal) which I don't think helps (but hey, it means the housing company can put them up cheaply and quickly then sell for a profit...*shakes fist*)

Now, can you sexy NSC'ers give me some advice:

How can I tell if there's any cavity wall insulation put in?
How much should I expect to pay?
Can anyone recommend any decent firms that offer this?

Any help (relevant, of course) will be met with muchos gratitude.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Hi
I got a company round to check for the same. They drilled one test hole in the wall to check if I had it. I did have it.
I used a company called CavityTech to check.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Hi
I got a company round to check for the same. They drilled one test hole in the wall to check if I had it. I did have it.
I used a company called CavityTech to check.

Ooh, that's good to know. Did they charge to come out? (I'm expecting a 'yes'). I'll give them a Google.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Ooh, that's good to know. Did they charge to come out? (I'm expecting a 'yes'). I'll give them a Google.

When I called them I said I was unsure if I had cavity wall insulation but if I did not could they quote me for installing it.
They came round and checked for me.
They filled the hole in after doing their check and left. No Fee.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Howdy

As Winter is upon us (not proper Winter, but you know) the niggling feeling enters my tiny brain about bills etc. We were able to get all new doors and windows during the summer which has helped the heat loss and the sound reduction has been brilliant, but it still feels a bit chillier than I'd like. I know I could turn the heating on etc, but i'm trying not to unless we really need it.
Now, I live on the end of a terrace. The house was built...mid-90's I believe as part of an estate. The inside walls are just plasterboard (far from ideal) which I don't think helps (but hey, it means the housing company can put them up cheaply and quickly then sell for a profit...*shakes fist*)

Being that your house was built in the mid 90s there is a good chance that it will be insulated. However whether it is up to todays standards is debatable. It might have a polystyrene type clipped to the wall ties. These days we build full fill rockwool into the cavity. Like I said you more than likely have some form of insulation but as others have said a cavity inspection will determine if it's adequate.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Funnily enough I've had cavity wall insulation put in today. Its a freebie from the government, only thing is , I have got a huge vent in my front room cos I have a gas fire in there

Jan 30, 2008
Howdy

if you want damp problems you go right ahead , you've been warned
regards
DR

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Replace the plasterboard on the end wall with insulation board. Takes out a bit of thermal mass and loses an inch or two of space but simple to do. DR will let us know if thats an ok idea.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If your house was built in the mid-90's I'd expect the thermal performance to be quite good. Cheapest ways to insulate have got to be cavities and the loft, then the windows (which you've done). I recently reno'd a 60's house and lined the walls with celotex but its pricey and only probably worth it if you need a re-plaster.

LED bulbs are getting much cheaper and are miles better than the flourescents and you get a rapid ROI now

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Because the cavity in the wall is there to prevent the building from getting damp by keeping it ventilated - which is particularly important in coastal regions. Filling it stops this happening, and can also lead to damage of the ties linking the walls, which can potentially lead to the wall collapsing.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
i had it put in to my 60's house 2 years ago as well as thicker loft insulation all for free - as long as the vents are sealed there shouldn't be an issue. If weather can get into the cavity, you may have an issue

I was worried about damp so i had a bloke round with a probe to check for my peace of mind and it was perfectly dry that was after last winter and loads of rain

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
you talk about the mid 90's, I assume you are talking 1990's ......would have thought it was already insulated
1890's well thats different ..........has it even got a cavity wall?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
you talk about the mid 90's, I assume you are talking 1990's ......would have thought it was already insulated
1890's well thats different ..........has it even got a cavity wall?

Haha, yeah I did mean 1990's. If it were 1890's i'd guess they'd just showhorn in some livestock into the cavity and be done with it. Ah, simpler times.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Haha, yeah I did mean 1990's. If it were 1890's i'd guess they'd just showhorn in some livestock into the cavity and be done with it. Ah, simpler times.

might be worth contacting your energy supplier and asking about it..................some are just giving it away even if you are not on benefits

Jan 30, 2008
Because the cavity in the wall is there to prevent the building from getting damp by keeping it ventilated - which is particularly important in coastal regions. Filling it stops this happening, and can also lead to damage of the ties linking the walls, which can potentially lead to the wall collapsing.
Is the right answer
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
Replace the plasterboard on the end wall with insulation board. Takes out a bit of thermal mass and loses an inch or two of space but simple to do. DR will let us know if thats an ok idea.
Well a mate of mine does re pointing and see's the problems it causes but hey you carry on:rolleyes:
regards
DR

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here