Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's Ages Since We've Played . . .

el punal

We had a discussion in the pub on Saturday on the longest period of time since the Albion played a competitive match against a Premier/Football League club. Apart from recent "newbies" Fleetwood and Morecambe, I think we have played every club in all four divisions over the last 30 years. The exception being Everton whom, I think, we last played around March/April 1983. Can anyone confirm or correct this. I also think Coventry and West Brom might be in the mix.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
You're right about West Brom - 3 April 1983 was the last time we played them (it was away, and they beat us 3-1).

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
We had a discussion in the pub on Saturday on the longest period of time since the Albion played a competitive match against a Premier/Football League club. Apart from recent "newbies" Fleetwood and Morecambe, I think we have played every club in all four divisions over the last 30 years. The exception being Everton whom, I think, we last played around March/April 1983. Can anyone confirm or correct this. I also think Coventry and West Brom might be in the mix.

Coventry were in our league on a couple of seasons ago.

Everton, West Brom & as a younger fan Manchester United are 3 of the clubs I can't remember us playing in my lifetime. Wouldn't mind any 3 of those away from home in The F.A Cup to be honest.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You're right about West Brom - 3 April 1983 was the last time we played them (it was away, and they beat us 3-1).
No, we definitely played West Brom in the league in the early 90s as it was my first game.
The answer is Everton, 30 minutes after I was born - 3pm, 9th April, 1983.

el punal

Wouldn't it be Accrington Stanley if we have ever played them ?

Yes, of course! They left the Football League in 1962 when Albion were in the old Div.2. As we were promoted from the old Div.3 South in 1958 we would never have played them prior to that - Stanley would have been in Div.3 North.

Good spot!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Coventry were in our league on a couple of seasons ago.

Everton, West Brom & as a younger fan Manchester United are 3 of the clubs I can't remember us playing in my lifetime. Wouldn't mind any 3 of those away from home in The F.A Cup to be honest.

We played the mancs twice(?) in the early nineties,once in the FA cup at Old Trafford, 1-0 to them, Ryan Giggs freekick in front of an empty Stretford End,and once at the Goldstone, 3-1, I think to them abrace from Danny Wallace, and notable as it was David Beckhams United debut

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
We played the mancs twice(?) in the early nineties,once in the FA cup at Old Trafford, 1-0 to them, Ryan Giggs freekick in front of an empty Stretford End,and once at the Goldstone, 3-1, I think to them abrace from Danny Wallace, and notable as it was David Beckhams United debut

I was born in 1994, so as I said, not in my lifetime. :wink:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wouldn't it be Accrington Stanley if we have ever played them ?

Possibly not technically the correct answer to the OP, because I don't think we've ever played them, unless it was in the Cup at some me. Of course, the current Accrington Stanley may also technically not be the same cub that went bust all those years ago - clubs that go bust often 'reform' as a totally different company Aidrie, for example).

Aldershot, on the other hand, we definitely have played (FA Cup 3rd. round away to the Shots in 1967 was my first Albion match), but not for a very long time. Of course the current Aldershot may also technically be a new club too.

1-1 at the goldstone I believe,first leg if the league cup,Edwards scored for us?

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Possibly not technically the correct answer to the OP, because I don't think we've ever played them, unless it was in the Cup at some me. Of course, the current Accrington Stanley may also technically not be the same cub that went bust all those years ago - clubs that go bust often 'reform' as a totally different company Aidrie, for example).

Aldershot, on the other hand, we definitely have played (FA Cup 3rd. round away to the Shots in 1967 was my first Albion match), but not for a very long time. Of course the current Aldershot may also technically be a new club too.

We played Aldershot in the FA Cup in 2000 as well. 2-6 IIRC

...they weren't a football league club at the time though so ignore me..

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
This thread is on a par with Nero FIDDLING or those blokes on TITANIC doing the same thing------who gives a feck:moo:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Like many, I'm sure, I was at both games.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here