Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Commuting by car advice

I've been offered a 9 month fixed term contract role; the downside is that it involves a 120-140 (route dependent) mile round trip each day from Hove and rail isn't a practical option and would take well over 2 hours each way. My question to the knowledge bank that is NSC is what is the best commuting car type?

My current old car won't take that usage over a prolonged period so I'll need to buy another used car. Petrol or Diesel (I know MPG is far better by diesel but servicing and tax are greater)? Old low mileage or new high mileage etc?

Any, sensible, advice appreciated. Naturally, in the current climate I'll avoid anything Finnish!

Up the Albion.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Is it not an option to stay away during the week and go home weekends ? Lot of driving and not very pleasant this time of year..

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
I do a lot of driving in my job, my advice is don't do it, its a nightmare out there and 4 hours a day commuting will take it out of you.
Try and stay local, find a friend/hotel or something, that kind of commuting is unsustainable even for 9 months.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Whats sort of drive is it , motorway, or back roads?

What are you driving at the moment? Are you getting paid for your mileage?

My work got moved to now I have a 90 mile drive everyday, but my old Focus is doing fine. That said it is motorway driving all the way.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Go new. Find a diesel in your price range (new diesel's are both high MPG and low emmisions = low tax) thats comfotable on a PCP deal with no deposit. It wont let you down, will make the journeys easier / more enjoyable, you get all the fun of choosing a new car and you can give it back at the end of the deal and walk away.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can you not strike a deal with a local B & B for Tues/Wed/ Thur nights. Might give you worthwhile rates if they know it's going to be over a long period? Where abouts is the destination?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I used to commute 100 miles each way to Oxford every day. It damn near killed me. Think very hard about it. The tedium is overwhelming and the stress of traffic is soul destroying. I was well paid but too knack eared to spend anything.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Job is paying ok, but not enough to cover staying away all week. It is based in Fanrborough so either 70 miles each way via M23/M25 and A or M3; or about 55 miles via Horsham, Guildford on A roads.

It would have to pay more than ok to make that journey tolerable.

Horsham/ Guildford area was awful for traffic15 years ago dread to think what it's like now.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
A Hyundai i10 or i20 diesel.

Comes with a five year warranty, so if you can get one four years or less old you are covered no matter what mileage you do.

And they are incredibly fuel efficient.

TB

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The road from hove via Horsham and Guilford is pretty but nightmarish...especially if stuck behing a slow moving tractor or somesuch. M25 is better but Farnborough itself gets very congested.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Job is paying ok, but not enough to cover staying away all week. It is based in Fanrborough so either 70 miles each way via M23/M25 and A or M3; or about 55 miles via Horsham, Guildford on A roads.

That's a pig of a journey. I used to commute from Burgess Hill to Guildford. M25 was virtually always slow moving at the time I wanted to travel and the A281 was slow with virtually no overtaking opportunities. Assume you have had an interview but have you tried driving the two routes at rush hour time to get a feel for how long it will take?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I've been offered a 9 month fixed term contract role; the downside is that it involves a 120-140 (route dependent) mile round trip each day from Hove and rail isn't a practical option and would take well over 2 hours each way. My question to the knowledge bank that is NSC is what is the best commuting car type?

My current old car won't take that usage over a prolonged period so I'll need to buy another used car. Petrol or Diesel (I know MPG is far better by diesel but servicing and tax are greater)? Old low mileage or new high mileage etc?

Any, sensible, advice appreciated. Naturally, in the current climate I'll avoid anything Finnish!

Up the Albion.

Is the train really not an option? I commute to paddington everyday - 3 hour round trip. Its not as bad as it sounds. If that really isnt an option, I would get a diesel car as generally much better on fuel economy. I have a nissan Qashqoi desiel tax is £150 and it does about 600 mpg on a 70 litre tank.

Congrats on the new job and good luck with commuting whatever route you choose.

Interview drive was a pain. Drove up there via Horsham router early aternoon and tok best part of 2 hours. Left interview about 16:45 and took just shy of 1hr 30 via M3/25/23 route. Sounds a killer but owing to redunadancy I need a job and it's the only solid current offer; so may be a case of grin (cry!) and bare it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Better 2 hours each way on the train, relaxing, sleeping, catching up with films / TV on your iPad, or surfing the net, than what will ultimately end up being 2 hours each way sat in traffic, wearing yourself out, and getting stressed at delays, speed traps, near-misses, tail-gaters, doddery old fools, tractors and general tosspots on the roads.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Thats my drive from Crawley, except I go the other way on the M3, to Hanworth.

I mostly travel around midday, so not so bad, but a week of driving tires me out, and it can be very grinding.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I did Newbury to Wales for a while till I moved to Wales, if it's the same route it's tedious, if East in the mornings and West at night the sun is a swine. Also for me it's an hour tops for commuting. Staying over at least one night a week helps.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
My sister has a lodger Mon-Thurs for a chap who lived in Derby on a contract in Brighton. That was via a website where you can rent out a bedroom.

I have done that commute (going the Storrington/Pulborough/Petworth/Hogsback route) and it will be a nightmare.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Up the Albion.

That is an AWFUL commute, at least 3 hours travel a day on top of working, possibly 4 or 5 if the roads misbehave. :down:

I agree with some earlier posts - you should look at local B&B's and see what sort of deal you can do for 9 months worth of guaranteed income for them.

I suppose it depends on if you are hitched or have kids back in Hove but for 9 months I would look to stay away at least a couple of nights a week.

I do 30K plus business miles a year and it is without doubt the worst part of my job!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Interview drive was a pain. Drove up there via Horsham router early aternoon and tok best part of 2 hours. Left interview about 16:45 and took just shy of 1hr 30 via M3/25/23 route. Sounds a killer but owing to redunadancy I need a job and it's the only solid current offer; so may be a case of grin (cry!) and bare it.

Surely no job can be worth that on a permanent basis. Find a pub or somewhere that will do you a room or B and B deal. Even with the most thrifty car in the world you would probably be knocking on £40 a journey there and back, taking depreciation service and fuel into account.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here