Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk continues as captain

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
... According to The Argus. It is a sad indication of my current state of mind that I immediately think the only reason it has gone to him is to add value for his future sale rather than football related.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Out of last Saturdays starting 11, who else stands out as a possible captain? Part of our problem is a lack of leaders on the pitch, just as much as a problem as the lack of leadership of it. I don't think Dunk's appointment is anything to do with preparing him for sale, it's just he's the best of a pretty poor bunch of potential skippers.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Out of last Saturdays starting 11, who else stands out as a possible captain? Part of our problem is a lack of leaders on the pitch, just as much as a problem as the lack of leadership of it. I don't think Dunk's appointment is anything to do with preparing him for sale, it's just he's the best of a pretty poor bunch of potential skippers.

I agree. Usually it has been Calde, but Bruno is getting the nod for the RB position now he's fit again. All this says to me, is that Greer's injury is taking longer than it was first thought.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
... According to The Argus. It is a sad indication of my current state of mind that I immediately think the only reason it has gone to him is to add value for his future sale rather than football related.

In a rare moment, I agree. Delighted for him and he clearly has a lot to learn in terms of how to act as captain (no where near enough berating of his right back), but if he sees out the season with us, I'll genuinely be shocked. Talking to a friend (a West Ham fan) he's insistent that Winston Reid will be off to Arsenal in January and they'll buy Dunk as a direct replacement.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I really HOPE that we keep him here for the rest of the season. We will be in even more trouble if he isn't playing for us after Jan.

The Summer will be a different story though.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

Solly to go as well. I understand that Saints are very interested in him. No doubt he'll go for a bag of pork scratchings.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I'd suggest that it's quite the opposite - that's its part of a charm offensive to persuade him to stay.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Solly to go as well. I understand that Saints are very interested in him. No doubt he'll go for a bag of pork scratchings.

His family denied there was any interest from Southampton in the summer, despite it being repeated on Nsc multiple times.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Lewis Dunk is one of the few bright sparks in an otherwise turgid season, being an improving defender, goal scorer and now captain.

I don't buy into this 'adding value to sell him' nonsense; a player's transfer value is hardly affected by whether he is captain. I think the status of captain is over-played in this country - he should be little more than ceremonial - but having said that, this elevation is a vote of confidence which is indicative of his continuing progression as a player.

Good on him.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
While I'm pleased for Dunky I do feel this only highlights how badly our recruitment has gone this season. Not only has the quality been poor but we have too many loan players and not enough character/leaders on the pitch.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
His family denied there was any interest from Southampton in the summer, despite it being repeated on Nsc multiple times.

But couldn't they possibly have been asked/told to keep things quiet? I certainly hope he stays. We can ill afford to lose our rising stars unless it's for silly money.

dibsy

Jul 26, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
JBizzlTa. lking to a friend (a West Ham fan) he's insistent that Winston Reid will be off to Arsenal in January and they'll buy Dunk as a direct replacement.[/QUOTE said:
West Ham for £5 million I heard

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I agree. Usually it has been Calde, but Bruno is getting the nod for the RB position now he's fit again. All this says to me, is that Greer's injury is taking longer than it was first thought.

It was originally suggested that GG injury would take 2 to 3 games so no more than expected. Dunk is an obvious choice as captain over possibly Hughes or Stockdale, after them there is nobody else that springs to mind as having the leadership requirements.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here