Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Luck ?

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
I am not saying that the situation we are in is entirely due to bad luck, but look at Saturday, for 15 mins we murdered then, Kaz went off, the keeper makes a save with his foot, which he had no idea about. Again I think we had more shots and possession, they score a good goal, then a very lucky one. Although there is no bad luck in those free kicks, appalling at that level. Think we need a little bit of luck, which we have not had this year, we have not been thrashed this year and on what i have seen, only Boro and Wigan, did we not deserve anything and maybe Rotherham. but Brentford, with a bit of luck we could have been 2-0 up, before they scored, Ipswich, all over them and lost, Cardiff, Marshall plays a blinder etc etc. Think we have issues on confidence and strange tactics at times, but we don't seem to get the rub of the green sometimes. To quote Ralph Waldo Emerson ' there is only one way to change your luck and that is by altering your thoughts'

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
We battered them playing with two wingers. So why then replace one of your injured wingers with a central midfielder? Even if March couldn't have lasted the 70 minutes, you have Baldock on the bench which could have meant Colunga out wide.

That isn't luck - its bloody cluelessness

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I blogged a match report on another site which I've already linked to in another Sami thread so won't again but it contains (but not in isolation) the phrase "And we are unlucky and sometimes that’s enough to get rid of managers on its own". I do believe Sami has been unlucky but I also believe he is too inexperienced, tactically naive and uninspiring.

Contrast with Oscar who's team suffered a whole raft of unlucky (and other more stupid) injuries but was still able to pull off results.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
I am not saying that the situation we are in is entirely due to bad luck, but look at Saturday, for 15 mins we murdered then, Kaz went off, the keeper makes a save with his foot, which he had no idea about. Again I think we had more shots and possession, they score a good goal, then a very lucky one. Although there is no bad luck in those free kicks, appalling at that level. Think we need a little bit of luck, which we have not had this year, we have not been thrashed this year and on what i have seen, only Boro and Wigan, did we not deserve anything and maybe Rotherham. but Brentford, with a bit of luck we could have been 2-0 up, before they scored, Ipswich, all over them and lost, Cardiff, Marshall plays a blinder etc etc. Think we have issues on confidence and strange tactics at times, but we don't seem to get the rub of the green sometimes. To quote Ralph Waldo Emerson ' there is only one way to change your luck and that is by altering your thoughts'
another game where we were on top but didnt make the most of it

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
For their second, it wasn't luck that allowed Ruiz to canter in from a position wide left and get a shot away, it was poor defending. No shot = No deflection = No goal.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I blogged a match report on another site which I've already linked to in another Sami thread so won't again but it contains (but not in isolation) the phrase "And we are unlucky and sometimes that’s enough to get rid of managers on its own". I do believe Sami has been unlucky but I also believe he is too inexperienced, tactically naive and uninspiring.

Contrast with Oscar who's team suffered a whole raft of unlucky (and other more stupid) injuries but was still able to pull off results.

Agree with you. As a manager you need some luck, Sami is unlucky and tactically inept. Not a great combo for a football manager.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing

Thats the problem, we might murder them without sticking the knife in.........end result...........we lose or draw !!!!!!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think that he has been unlucky when it comes to player errors losing us points. There has been quite a few but the one that sticks out as a clear example was when Ince jumped out of the way of the ball when being part of the wall. Stockdale cost us a few points, the most recent ones were against Blackburn when he gave the ball to back them under no pressure.

The first goal on Saturday was weak defending, and the second one came from Gardener losing the ball near their 18 yard area, after he tried to take on three players.

We haven't had many games where there hasn't been a daft costly mistake from individual errors or wrong decisions.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
"The more I practice the luckier I get"......................... Gary Player

Well the free-kick routine looked anything but well-practised, as does the formation that leaves us exposed at the back, every time we lose possession.

Luck doesn't come into it for me.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I said a couple of weeks ago he's been unlucky, Crofts, Stephens, March etc plus ogs etc.

Having said that, generally you make your own luck, and I want him gone.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Well I only saw the second half. Was one of the worst I've seen us play. Awful, going backwards every week almost.

Our luck will start when Sami ****s off.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
"The more I practice the luckier I get"......................... Gary Player

Well the free-kick routine looked anything but well-practised, as does the formation that leaves us exposed at the back, every time we lose possession.

Luck doesn't come into it for me.

The first free kick was a comical mixup, but the JFC and March ones were massively disappointing as individual efforts.

I think that after 3 seasons of being fairly solid, yet seeing the way Bournemouth have played since their promotion, did we want to get someone in with a more attacking style, or just play it safe?

Bloom appointed Sami to change our attacking mentality, and many fans wanted to see the change. The trouble has been doing this when also trying to rebuild the squad with mainly strangers.

In hindsight maybe Sami could have set out extra defensively at the start of the season, but if we were mid table playing boring football the fans would still be moaning.

Generally I like the football that we are trying to play and the only way you can find out what the players can do is by testing them out.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The first free kick was a comical mixup, but the JFC and March ones were massively disappointing as individual efforts.

I think that after 3 seasons of being fairly solid, yet seeing the way Bournemouth have played since their promotion, did we want to get someone in with a more attacking style, or just play it safe?

Bloom appointed Sami to change our attacking mentality, and many fans wanted to see the change. The trouble has been doing this when also trying to rebuild the squad with mainly strangers.

In hindsight maybe Sami could have set out extra defensively at the start of the season, but if we were mid table playing boring football the fans would still be moaning.

Generally I like the football that we are trying to play and the only way you can find out what the players can do is by testing them out.

I wouldn't disagree about the need for more attacking football, particularly after the tedious brand served up by Oscar.

But Sami's tactics (as is being proved on a seemingly weekly basis) are flawed. You cannot push the full-backs so far up that the defence is exposed, even if the midfielders slot in to RB and LB, which is apparently the idea (according to one of his scouts), you are left with slower players in speed positions, and one midfielder covering the majority of the pitch centrally.

Whether we like it or not McClaren, Howe, McCarthy and even Walburton at Brentford, have shown that attacking football can be played with a solid defence.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here