Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

the Big Give - Albion in the Community

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
As you all know, the mission of AITC, is to give everyone who wants to play sport, the chance to do so.

A gift of just £12 covers the cost of running a sports session for one person.

For three days this week, a charitable foundation has agreed to double any gift.

Here is the link for information:

http://archive.oandg.co.uk/baha/emails/albion-in-the-community/24-11-14-Double-your-donation/

And here is a link for donating:

http://albioninthecommunity.org.uk/disability/the-big-give-jadeys-dream

I know it's a tricky time of year for money, but this is a great cause.

:thumbsup:

abc

Jan 6, 2007
As you all know, the mission of AITC, is to give everyone who wants to play sport, the chance to do so.

A gift of just £12 covers the cost of running a sports session for one person.

For three days this week, a charitable foundation has agreed to double any gift.

Here is the link for information:

http://archive.oandg.co.uk/baha/emails/albion-in-the-community/24-11-14-Double-your-donation/

And here is a link for donating:

http://albioninthecommunity.org.uk/disability/the-big-give-jadeys-dream

I know it's a tricky time of year for money, but this is a great cause.

:thumbsup:

The reason you are lacking responses to your post might possibly be that AITC has become (or is perceived to have become) a profit making arm of the club. In the Withdean days AITC built up huge goodwill amongst schools, parents and communities in general. Sadly that seems to have been taken for granted and then thrown away by changes in personnel at the top combined with changes in overall ethos and attitude. It's a real shame because it was doing something truly unique in the community and was truly part of the community. Maybe it's an inevitable part of being 'premiership ready' and the 'big club' syndrome that now pervades but I and others I know thought the ethos of AITC would survive because BHA were different. It seems not and whilst the particular cause you have mentioned might be different, being attached to AITC is, for some, a reason to mildly mistrust rather than support.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Perhaps you would like to explain how AITC is a " profit-making arm of the club"? To the best of my knowledge, all of the many projects which AITC organises have to be funded by grants, fund-raising activities and other external sources. I fail to see how anyone can "mistrust" an organization which has earned national recognition in its own right and which is doing so much good across the whole of the county for so many people of all ages.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Nationally recognised scheme, they do brilliant work.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The reason you are lacking responses to your post might possibly be that AITC has become (or is perceived to have become) a profit making arm of the club. In the Withdean days AITC built up huge goodwill amongst schools, parents and communities in general. Sadly that seems to have been taken for granted and then thrown away by changes in personnel at the top combined with changes in overall ethos and attitude. It's a real shame because it was doing something truly unique in the community and was truly part of the community. Maybe it's an inevitable part of being 'premiership ready' and the 'big club' syndrome that now pervades but I and others I know thought the ethos of AITC would survive because BHA were different. It seems not and whilst the particular cause you have mentioned might be different, being attached to AITC is, for some, a reason to mildly mistrust rather than support.

Perceived by whom?

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
I absolutely hate the americanised phraseology. Did 'the big donation' not score enough stars and stripes points?

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom

I think you may have the wrong end of the stick. I think, and I may be wrong, that the club wanted AITC to be run as a more self-sufficient business, rather than relying on handouts from the club and more on an even keel. I'm almost certain that AITC wouldn't be run as a profit-making business unless any profit is being pumped back into the community.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

I really don't think that is the case. Some things have changed in the way AITC is structured, but the underlying aims remain the same, and the people who work for AITC do a magnificent job in helping people get involved in sport.

Tried donating money to aitc before they couldn't be bothered to return a phone call for £100+ and the way they treat potential aitc coaches :facepalm if you coach for a third party you'll never work for aitc. They seem to look at other sports providers as the enemy to be squeezed out rather than working alongside. I sure they have a good side but yet to see it.:moo:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
If you feel AITC are just another tool of the corporate money-making conspiracy, can you just move along please. If you think the people involved are amazing people who give up their time to help lots of disadvantaged men and women get involved in Sport, you might want to donate - it could get doubled.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

I volunteer for one of the AITC programmes and this is just ill informed toss.

Dec 2, 2014
Hi there,

I’m Olivia and I work for Albion in the Community. I just wanted to point out that we certainly aren’t the money making arm of the club. We are a registered charity and any money we raise is put back into developing and expanding our community programmes. We are raising money at the moment to expand our disability programme and we want everyone in Sussex who has a disability to be able to play sport if they want to. We would like to at least double the reach of our current programme. Damien Hills now plays Powerchair Football for one of AITC’s teams. He told us that before he met Guy Butters here at the stadium and was invited by him to take part in a tournament he had hardly played any sport. For 5 years at senior school he took part in 3 PE lessons - Damien has cerebral palsy and uses a wheelchair. For all the other lessons he was told to keep score. Damien tells us he loves playing sport now and has big ambitions – and that’s what we’re raising money for. Not for the club. From tomorrow we have a huge opportunity as for 3 days only, any donation made here https://secure.thebiggive.org.uk/projects/view/21954/jadeys-dream could be doubled by a charitable foundation called the Big Give – so we wanted to let people know about this and if they wanted to support us with a donation – Thursday, Friday and Saturday this week are a great opportunity to do so.

http://albioninthecommunity.org.uk/getinvolved/donate-online

(I think I have sorted out the link? as requested by @Carrot Cruncher )
hitony

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious... with so many bounces for so few viewings, couldn't this just be made a sticky for the duration of The Big Give?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Oh hello Dick: good to see you on NSC after all this time. Sorry to hear about that share issue thing.

:wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here