Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

cable or satellite

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
we have had no end of trouble lately with cable (internet constantly dropping out) and talk-talk doing **** all about it we decided to go over to sky and they suggested a dish rather than cable.
has anyone else had trouble with cable ( particularly in the Eastbourne area BT seem to be constantly working on it just lately):flameboun

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I'm about to switch from Virgin because they keep edging up their prices and are now more expensive than the opposition. Haven't decided yet between BT and SKY so any advice anyone has.......

Also switching my mobile from Orange because their tariffs do me no favours as I am abroad for three months a year. Want to keep a Samsung handset because I have loads of photos stored (and object to paying a tender a month to Dropbox) plus if I go to an iPhone I have to pay to download music which on android I can get free. Reckoning EE have the better fixed price tariff so I can budget effectively but again if anyone knows different........

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I'm about to switch from Virgin because they keep edging up their prices and are now more expensive than the opposition. Haven't decided yet between BT and SKY so any advice anyone has.......

Also switching my mobile from Orange because their tariffs do me no favours as I am abroad for three months a year. Want to keep a Samsung handset because I have loads of photos stored (and object to paying a tender a month to Dropbox) plus if I go to an iPhone I have to pay to download music which on android I can get free. Reckoning EE have the better fixed price tariff so I can budget effectively but again if anyone knows different........

I went from EE to Tesco Mobile. A sim only deal, was £10 p.m cheaper with Tesco. So far have found signal excellent.

Ref to cable or satellite, we are with Virgin and I am counting down the days until we can leave them. Internet often down, TV picture much poorer than with Sky.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Do you yourself a favour, buy a satellite kit off the internet and a secondhand humax freesat box from ebay. You might be able to do all that for under £100, install it yourself and BINGO!... crystal clear pictures, loads of hd content and no more paid tv forever and a day :thumbsup:

Excluding a tv licence of course, which to be honest is fantastic value for the money and supports a fine institution.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
On price, quite simply Sky is cheapest for Sky channels, particularly HD sports. BT cheapest for BT channels, etc etc. Depends on what you want.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
On price, quite simply Sky is cheapest for Sky channels, particularly HD sports. BT cheapest for BT channels, etc etc. Depends on what you want.

family pack and Sky sports
my mrs was very disgruntled on Saturday when she had to watch Wales
and we do watch a lot of football together ..................sometimes the only thing all day we agree on :lolol:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Ive had Virgin broadband for about 2 1/2 years now, and Saturday evening it went down for the first time for me, back on by mid day Sunday

Meant I couldn't read the post Fulham meltdown on here, so some good came of it

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
We had a dish here in sunny Wales, but if there was bad weather in Milan it cut out, no I haven't a clue and maybe I was gullible........

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Would never go back to Sky - utterly horrendous customer service. Love VM - even with price rise wiped out after complaining bad got a third Tivo box for free.

Since when have talk talk done cable ?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Would never go back to Sky - utterly horrendous customer service. Love VM - even with price rise wiped out after complaining bad got a third Tivo box for free.

Since when have talk talk done cable ?

about 18 months in Eastbourne but all controlled by BT and they never inform talktalk about any breaks
the best way of getting BT off the job is satellite they can't **** that up

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if the cable isnt really cable, but ADSL provided by a cable or other telephone company, then changing to statelite isnt going to change your broadband much. obviously you can get the Sky TV without problems, though alot of the add on items are internet based so will be suseptible to any line problems.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
we have had no end of trouble lately with cable (internet constantly dropping out) and talk-talk doing **** all about it we decided to go over to sky and they suggested a dish rather than cable.
has anyone else had trouble with cable ( particularly in the Eastbourne area BT seem to be constantly working on it just lately):flameboun

Are you on genuine cable or is it just a phone socket ? I'm on what was the old Nynex cable system, now Virgin, and that usually works very well. I can't offer any thoughts on plug in phone internet as I have not had that for years.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
about 18 months in Eastbourne but all controlled by BT and they never inform talktalk about any breaks
the best way of getting BT off the job is satellite they can't **** that up

I suspect your internet is currently delivered by a BT owned copper line then. The exact same copper line that Sky will use. Your TV might improve but it doesn't use the copper line.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Are you on genuine cable or is it just a phone socket ? I'm on what was the old Nynex cable system, now Virgin, and that usually works very well. I can't offer any thoughts on plug in phone internet as I have not had that for years.

everywhere you go there are BT engineers looking at boxes or down holes in Eastbourne
and yep the telephone line will now supply my broadband as it has once before and tv supplied by satellite dish
the trouble with cable is one break in your area and it all goes off , we had this in Brighton with Nynex someone took exception to them and took out one of their boxes at the bottom of the avenue in Bevendean and we lost it for a month, otherwise the old Nynex was a good system.
whatever it must be better than what we have now BT, talktalk and all the others arguing over faults, Bt only have to maintain the telephone line and Sky does the rest

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
everywhere you go there are BT engineers looking at boxes or down holes in Eastbourne
and yep the telephone line will now supply my broadband as it has once before and tv supplied by satellite dish
the trouble with cable is one break in your area and it all goes off , we had this in Brighton with Nynex someone took exception to them and took out one of their boxes at the bottom of the avenue in Bevendean and we lost it for a month, otherwise the old Nynex was a good system.
whatever it must be better than what we have now BT, talktalk and all the others arguing over faults, Bt only have to maintain the telephone line and Sky does the rest

But your main complaint in your first post was the internet dropping out. Unless it was the router rather than the copper line you'll have exactly the same problem with Sky.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
But your main complaint in your first post was the internet dropping out. Unless it was the router rather than the copper line you'll have exactly the same problem with Sky.
the black box shut off completely no light at all including the light marked fibre the router seems OK but I will never know as they (talktalk) have said they have checked it all from their end thats all my internal gubbins and they think its something wrong with the cable (fibre)and what seems also strange is Sky did not want to use cable (even the old girl next door has just changed for the same reasons as us and she has now got a dish) so my assumption was that there is something wrong with the cable system here

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
the black box shut off completely no light at all including the light marked fibre the router seems OK but I will never know as they (talktalk) have said they have checked it all from their end thats all my internal gubbins and they think its something wrong with the cable (fibre)and what seems also strange is Sky did not want to use cable (even the old girl next door has just changed for the same reasons as us and she has now got a dish) so my assumption was that there is something wrong with the cable system here

Firstly, love the word 'gubbins', great word - not used often enough nowadays.

So, a very high level of how home internet connections work. There are four normal ways people connect at home to the internet :

1. Via copper cable
2. Via fibre cable
3. Via moblie
4. Via satellite

Let's ignore options 3 and 4 for now as you're unlikely to be using them. So with Talk Talk, normal BT internet, Orange, PlusNet, Daisy etc it will be down a copper telephone 'cable'. Generally works OK and you'll get a decent 'ish' speed if the connection from the street box back to the exchange is fibre and not over subscribed ( i.e. you're not sharing it with too many people ). Problem is that many copper telephone cables have been in years and exposed to the elements, animals and daft householders who do stupid things with them. When you switch internet supplier they don't change this copper cable into your house, they don't even change the connection from the street box to the exchange. You may be lucky enough to have a supplier with their own kit in the exchange ( know us exchange unbundaling ) but to all intents and purposes your are still reliant on that copper cable and BT Openreach.

The other main option is fibre - currently only offered by Virgin and BT Infinity ( although if you're in Hull KCOM are offering a limited fibre service ). They replace the copper cable with a fibre cable. This makes the internet super fast and, if installed properly, reliable. You still have the sharing issue though.

So, moving to Sky will indeed give you a nice dish and TV signal ( assuming no storms ) but it won't change how poor your internet service is as they will use the same crappy piece of copper cable. The only ways to improve that are to go fibre with Virgin or BT Infinity or pay BT to replace your landline copper cable.

By all means go with Sky if that is your preference but please don't get your hopes up this will fix your issue.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Firstly, love the word 'gubbins', great word - not used often enough nowadays.

So, a very high level of how home internet connections work. There are four normal ways people connect at home to the internet :

1. Via copper cable
2. Via fibre cable
3. Via moblie
4. Via satellite

Let's ignore options 3 and 4 for now as you're unlikely to be using them. So with Talk Talk, normal BT internet, Orange, PlusNet, Daisy etc it will be down a copper telephone 'cable'. Generally works OK and you'll get a decent 'ish' speed if the connection from the street box back to the exchange is fibre and not over subscribed ( i.e. you're not sharing it with too many people ). Problem is that many copper telephone cables have been in years and exposed to the elements, animals and daft householders who do stupid things with them. When you switch internet supplier they don't change this copper cable into your house, they don't even change the connection from the street box to the exchange. You may be lucky enough to have a supplier with their own kit in the exchange ( know us exchange unbundaling ) but to all intents and purposes your are still reliant on that copper cable and BT Openreach.

The other main option is fibre - currently only offered by Virgin and BT Infinity ( although if you're in Hull KCOM are offering a limited fibre service ). They replace the copper cable with a fibre cable. This makes the internet super fast and, if installed properly, reliable. You still have the sharing issue though.

So, moving to Sky will indeed give you a nice dish and TV signal ( assuming no storms ) but it won't change how poor your internet service is as they will use the same crappy piece of copper cable. The only ways to improve that are to go fibre with Virgin or BT Infinity or pay BT to replace your landline copper cable.

By all means go with Sky if that is your preference but please don't get your hopes up this will fix your issue

our main issue is with the lost of films several times because the internet drops out (4 times in one film last Wednesday) we have also had a problem the last month with buffering.
we have stayed too loyal to talktalk as we have been with them before they were even called that even in Wales where we had to pay for supposed free internet as the local exchange was not unbundled and even when we moved here it took them 3 weeks to get anything on even though we had arranged it weeks before and then they blamed BT. buggers law as well the made our free internet 1 week before we left Wales.
upshot is over the years they have taken the **** just once to often
thanks for your input

G

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here