Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Darts

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Draw has been made for the World Darts Championship, some belting ties to look forward to.

Robbie Green v Darius Labanauskas
James Wilson v Peter Sajwani/Sam Head
Gary Robson v Eddy Sims/Cedric Waegemans
Wesley Harms v Mike Day/Jeff Smith
Jeffrey de Graaf v Seigo Asada/Brian Dawson
Martin Phillips v Madars Razma
Remco van Eijden v Geert de Vos
Scott Mitchell v Tony O’Shea
Darryl Fitton v Paul Jennings
Alan Norris v Willem Mandingers/Daniel Larsson
Jamie Hughes v David Cameron/Michel van der Horst
Glen Durrant v Karel Sedlacek/Paul Coughlin
Ross Montgomery v Pip Blackwell
Scott Waites v Sam Hewson
Rick Hofsta v Jim Widmayer/Rhys Hayden
Martin Adams v Jan Dekker

Lets play darts!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You've highlighted 3 matches there Crodo. 16 matches, 32 players.

So why, according to the live BDO rankings as per their website today, is the world's No. 2 playing No. 13 and No. 4 playing No. 14?

And why is Robbie Green - clearly one of the 4 best players in the tournament - ranked 19th?

The shambles that is the BDO can best be summed up by Ted Hankey, as shown by the man himself and Wikipedia:

Hankey: "I've had 2 very enjoyable years at the PDC, and I would like to thank Barry Hearn and everyone involved for making me feel so welcome and for giving me the opportunity to play on their tour. However, something just didn't feel quite right and the penny dropped when I watched the opening game of the Lakeside this year – I really miss playing on the BDO circuit! It has been said time and again, but it is a true family atmosphere and I miss everything about it. Following a terrible year with illness and injury, I need to get my career back on track and I genuinely feel that the BDO offers the best opportunity for me to do this. I can't wait to tell all my old BDO foes that This is My Territory – Be on Your Way!”

Wiki: "Hankey's two-year tour card expired after the 2014 World Championship and with him being ranked world number 94, well outside the top 64 who retain their professional status, he lost his position in the PDC. He registered to Q School, but withdraw from the event before it begun. It was announced soon after that Hankey had decided to end his unsuccessful stay in the PDC and will now return to the BDO. In his first season back in the BDO, his best results were two quarter finals as he narrowly failed to automatically qualify for the Lakeside, being ranked 29 in the BDO (top 28 qualified). He also failed to qualify for the Masters, Lakeside and the World Trophy in the qualifying tournaments held in Hull."

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
You've highlighted 3 matches there Crodo. 16 matches, 32 players.

So why, according to the live BDO rankings as per their website today, is the world's No. 2 playing No. 13 and No. 4 playing No. 14?

And why is Robbie Green - clearly one of the 4 best players in the tournament - ranked 19th?

The shambles that is the BDO can best be summed up by Ted Hankey, as shown by the man himself and Wikipedia:

Hankey: "I've had 2 very enjoyable years at the PDC, and I would like to thank Barry Hearn and everyone involved for making me feel so welcome and for giving me the opportunity to play on their tour. However, something just didn't feel quite right and the penny dropped when I watched the opening game of the Lakeside this year – I really miss playing on the BDO circuit! It has been said time and again, but it is a true family atmosphere and I miss everything about it. Following a terrible year with illness and injury, I need to get my career back on track and I genuinely feel that the BDO offers the best opportunity for me to do this. I can't wait to tell all my old BDO foes that This is My Territory – Be on Your Way!”

Wiki: "Hankey's two-year tour card expired after the 2014 World Championship and with him being ranked world number 94, well outside the top 64 who retain their professional status, he lost his position in the PDC. He registered to Q School, but withdraw from the event before it begun. It was announced soon after that Hankey had decided to end his unsuccessful stay in the PDC and will now return to the BDO. In his first season back in the BDO, his best results were two quarter finals as he narrowly failed to automatically qualify for the Lakeside, being ranked 29 in the BDO (top 28 qualified). He also failed to qualify for the Masters, Lakeside and the World Trophy in the qualifying tournaments held in Hull."

Poor old Ted

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Hankey just wasn't good enough to be the pantomine villian Sky and The PDC wanted,also Co Stompe failed to get through .

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Here we go.

Averages of 75, average 12 darts to check out etc. etc.

Even you can't spin this one out as a 'World Championship' Crodo

This is the heritage of Darts before the Sport sold itself to the devil. At the BDO it's all about the darts, no razmattaz and lairy lowlifes who have no interest in the darts just getting shitfaced. Plus, you don't get outstanding legs like the below in the PDC.

[YT]q49xYlgoeCo[/YT]

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Draws tomo at 12-30 for the worlds mate :)

Although I do agree with the idiots you get at the pdc tv events although there are some proper fans there too. I prefer the players champs behind closed doors myself when I'm lucky enough to attend.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The top 10 PDC players all came from The BDO ,so it can't be all bad.

No, it's not all bad, but then the winner is as much a "World Champion" as Leicester City were "Best Team In England" last season. They are the Football League, the PDC is the Premier League. That said, the PDC are starting to produce good players of their own - Keegan Brown and Michael Smith to name but two.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
No, it's not all bad, but then the winner is as much a "World Champion" as Leicester City were "Best Team In England" last season. They are the Football League, the PDC is the Premier League. That said, the PDC are starting to produce good players of their own - Keegan Brown and Michael Smith to name but two.
Keegan Brown was playing County darts for the IOW at 13 which is BDO.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The top 10 PDC players all came from The BDO ,so it can't be all bad.

Almost all the players will have been 'bdo' at some point because you naturally play county darts etc which is a progression from super league and is all part of the BDO umbrella. In the future, with the youth tour etc now (PDC), this may change.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Yes but unlike MVG he never played in any of the main individual BDO tournaments and has been PDC since 2011, applying for his tour card at age 19. Unlike Stompe and Hankey - who couldn't hack it - Brown chose to try and ply his trade with the PDC from the word go and has been battle-hardened over the last couple of years. I suspect his will be the orthodox route into professional darts from now on.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Almost all the players will have been 'bdo' at some point because you naturally play county darts etc which is a progression from super league and is all part of the BDO umbrella. In the future, with the youth tour etc now (PDC), this may change.

That is the "old way"

Professional darts players of the future (and some of the present) come through the PDC system.

They are "professional" at a much earlier age now, and will all bypass the BDO pub circuit entirely one day.

The sport has moved on, a very long way, and if people want to carry on being BDO, then fine, just please don't pretend to be at the top of the sport, because you no longer are, and you know it.

Yes there are some very good players in the BDO, Daryll Fitton, Tony O'Shea, and a couple of others, but as a professional sport, it is dead.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The lifeblood of the game will always be in the pub. BDO understands the heritage of the game and the people who turn up to the Lakeside are extremely knowledgeable of the game and true darts lovers.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
The lifeblood of the game will always be in the pub. BDO understands the heritage of the game and the people who turn up to the Lakeside are extremely knowledgeable of the game and true darts lovers.

So are a very large number of the PDC tournament spectators.

The game will always be played in the pub.

The sport will, however, not, and it is already moving away from its "heritage"

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That is the "old way"

Professional darts players of the future (and some of the present) come through the PDC system.

They are "professional" at a much earlier age now, and will all bypass the BDO pub circuit entirely one day.

The sport has moved on, a very long way, and if people want to carry on being BDO, then fine, just please don't pretend to be at the top of the sport, because you no longer are, and you know it.

Yes there are some very good players in the BDO, Daryll Fitton, Tony O'Shea, and a couple of others, but as a professional sport, it is dead.

I know mate that's what I was saying? I was referring to the worlds top 10 who started in bdo yonks ago on the whole - they came from the bdo for a reason...

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I know mate that's what I was saying? I was referring to the worlds top 10 who started in bdo yonks ago on the whole - they came from the bdo for a reason...

To be honest, that was the only way.

You played your pub darts, progressed through Superleague and County, and maybe international darts, before joining the Professional Darts Players Association and moving over to the PDC if you wanted to.

There is no "moving over" now though.

You can join the PDPA, but no matter how good you were on the BDO circuit, you still have to go through the qualifying weekend in an attempt to earn a PDC Tour card, and many great players just don't get one.

There was a time when great BDO players were being offered money to cross the line (I know 2 very good players that were each offered £20,000 about eight years ago to do it, but turned it down).

That was a lot of money in darts then, they are still with the BDO.

Lots of the future PDC stars will never have played under the BDO code, and a lot of the current BDO big names will never make it onto the PDC tour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here