Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adrian Colunga yellow card

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
This has been done to death on other threads. The booking was probably for calling the Ref. a CJTC, when he blew his whistle and told them to take it again as he ( the Ref) wasn't ready.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This has been done to death on other threads. The booking was probably for calling the Ref. a CJTC, when he blew his whistle and told them to take it again as he ( the Ref) wasn't ready.

If you watch the replay, Colunga didn't open his mouth, so it wasn't for swearing, unless he is an accomplished ventriloquist as well as fluent in profane English.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's dissent, automatic yellow.

The ref held up his whistle and instructed that the kick was not to be taken until he blew.

I've seen HUNDREDS of attempted quick free kicks brought back. I've hardly EVER seen someone yellowed for it.

Either you are wrong, or thousands of refs are not doing their job accurately in that instance.

I've seen HUNDREDS of attempted quick free kicks brought back. I've hardly EVER seen someone yellowed for it.

Either you are wrong, or thousands of refs are not doing their job accurately in that instance.

A Ref geezer told me it's a rule, so if I'm wrong he is too, that said, he also has never actually booked someone for it.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
If you watch the replay, Colunga didn't open his mouth, so it wasn't for swearing, unless he is an accomplished ventriloquist as well as fluent in profane English.

I think you'll find that swearing in English is the FIRST lesson all overseas players (maybe even all overseas workers!) learn. AC has been here long enough now to swear like a chav.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I just thought it was an odd booking. Taking it quickly only wasted more time which we desperately needed. Booking him for it just compounds the misery of the situation.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It was a baffling yellow, as mentioned above Colunga would have no reason to want to waste time. This is where people have legitimate reason to get annoyed at refs/the laws of the game.

Cowplain Clive

Jun 6, 2014
Maybe, maybe, maybe - we weren't on the pitch so we'll never know, but why on earth can't referees use a bit of common sense, especially with players whose first language isn't English? "Common sense" and "referees" in the same sentence - you won't see that too often at the Amex.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Maybe, maybe, maybe - we weren't on the pitch so we'll never know, but why on earth can't referees use a bit of common sense, especially with players whose first language isn't English? "Common sense" and "referees" in the same sentence - you won't see that too often at the Amex.
Entirely fair comment but, sadly, the minute a ref uses common sense, rather than strictly obeying the letter of the law, you'll get people complaining about the lack of consistency in decision making as what one ref sees as common sense another wouldn't.

Personally, I'd rather they use their nous in controlling the game but I can see how it must feel like they can't win sometimes.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

This is good old 'Hoops' that we're talking about. He keeps his common sense reserved for Bournemouth games.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Absolutely pathetic decision from the ref. God forbid that the fouled team could actually gain an ADVANTAGE from their own free kick eh ?

Forget all the faff with the wall, as long as the ref is satisfied that the free kick is being taken from the correct position, then there should be absolutely no reason whatsoever to stop a team taking the free kick as quickly as they want. I've never understood why the team thats been fouled has to hang around until the defending team is all lined up in position and ready. Its SUPPOSED to be an advantage for christs sake.

Winds me right up that does.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Entirely fair comment but, sadly, the minute a ref uses common sense, rather than strictly obeying the letter of the law, you'll get people complaining about the lack of consistency in decision making as what one ref sees as common sense another wouldn't.

Personally, I'd rather they use their nous in controlling the game but I can see how it must feel like they can't win sometimes.

Pierluigi Collina would use plenty of common sense, and was seen the world over as the best ref in the game.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There is another thread going into this in great detail with conflicting views of a referee and an assessor with u tube evidence to support both arguments, IMHO it appears that it is a referees choice as to how he interprets the rules.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Cowplain Clive

Jun 6, 2014
Easy 10 - your comments are absolutely spot-on. The other gripe is where a player, who has been injured by a bad foul, then has to leave the field until he is called back on. This means that your team, not the one who has transgressed, has a numerical disadvantage.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Since when did it become a bookable offence to take a quick free kick?

I remember at Reading a few seasons ago, their goalkeeper handled a back pass, taken quickley, cannot remember who by, straight to Bobby , who scored , goal allowed.
In fact goalkeeper was still standing over the ball when the kick was taken.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here