Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andrea Orlandi on our current predicament (and Calde's car)

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
"Close to us at the bottom of the table we have a team that I don’t like to see there. What happened to Brighton? For two seasons we were fighting to get promoted, during the first year they were, without a shadow of a doubt, the best team in the league and now they are fighting relegation. I am really sorry for the fans and for my friends over there. It is harder and harder to recognise any of the players now, if I know more than four I am lucky. Look at Derby County, they have been playing with almost the same players for years and they are now getting the results. I think the same should have happened at Brighton. To completely change the team has many risks and this is what is happening here in Blackpool. But Brighton deserve better, they have got great fans, stadium, facilities and team, so I really hope they can compete for more ambitious targets and I hope to see them in the Premier League in a few years time.

Speaking about Brighton, on Thursday I was able to have dinner with three of my former colleagues who live around the Manchester area, Ashley Barnes and Stephen Ward who play at Burnley and Adam El Abd who plays at Bury Town. We had a great time remembering anecdotes and talking about our experiences and wondering why Iñigo Calderón has still got the same car!! Moreover, we agreed on how nice our teams are. I like to meet up with nice people who I really like and to see that we have the same feeling, whether we play in the Premier, the Championship or in League Two. Coming back to Calderon and his car, its not about having a big car just because you are a footballer but at least one that can pass the MOT without having to pray to the Virgin of Lourdes first."

http://www.am14.net/shame-football-16029/

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
"We had a great time remembering anecdotes and talking about our experiences and wondering why Iñigo Calderón has still got the same car!!"

#bantz

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'll never stop loving that man.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
He's 100% right. Having to bring in 8 players during the summer was a huge risk - especially with Burke at the helm and Bloom admitting diligence was rushed. Add in 7 loans and it's very similar to when the Wilkins team was dismantled during Mickys second stint.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Think we would all like to see a settled team but let's not forget 5 of the players from last year are plying their trade in the premiership.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Haha. I do like Orlandi. Calde's car for the record is one of those big American things that looks a bit like a silver Bentley (a Chrysler I think) - obviously not quite as reliable as the real thing! Have often seen him around Hove in it.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Haha. I do like Orlandi. Calde's car for the record is one of those big American things that looks a bit like a silver Bentley (a Chrysler I think) - obviously not quite as reliable as the real thing! Have often seen him around Hove in it.

Dick Knight had one of those once. It was black. He looked like an undertaker.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The manager said keep him but he was released anyway. It goes to show that the manager's opinion doesn't seem to count for much.

Orlandi is a class person and a credit to his profession however, no one can deny he is very injury prone. How many games did he actually play for us last year? Think it was about 12 games started and 6 as sub. He has also had injury problems at Blackpool. Bearing in mind he was, reputedly, one of our highest earners then surely it was better to free up some money for someone else.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
What happened to Brighton? For two seasons we were fighting to get promoted, during the first year they were, without a shadow of a doubt, the best team in the league

He's right there, we were the best team in the Championship that year by far. Can't help feeling that was our big chance - if we'd had Ulloa from the start of the season, we'd have walked it. I'm sure we'll get to the Premier League at some point, but wouldn't it have been great to have got there with Gus and the brilliant players we had in that side (Orlandi included), and our pure flair on the pitch. 2012-13 was probably my favourite season supporting the club, aside from the 1976-1979 era. We really have gone backwards a lot in just two seasons.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

One like this?

Chrysler300SaloonWhite01.jpg

View attachment 60528

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Andrea Orlandi, we still love you, or at least the idea of you playing in a great team. I was thinking that we would look back on the team of 2012/13 (or even 2013/14) one day with nostalgia and longing. I didn't think it would be quite so soon.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Ah ... now I do. Yeh.. that sort of thing from the front. Although I think the back end does resemble the aforementioned hearse...

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
"Close to us at the bottom of the table we have a team that I don’t like to see there. What happened to Brighton? For two seasons we were fighting to get promoted, during the first year they were, without a shadow of a doubt, the best team in the league and now they are fighting relegation. I am really sorry for the fans and for my friends over there. It is harder and harder to recognise any of the players now, if I know more than four I am lucky. Look at Derby County, they have been playing with almost the same players for years and they are now getting the results. I think the same should have happened at Brighton. To completely change the team has many risks and this is what is happening here in Blackpool. But Brighton deserve better, they have got great fans, stadium, facilities and team, so I really hope they can compete for more ambitious targets and I hope to see them in the Premier League in a few years time.

Speaking about Brighton, on Thursday I was able to have dinner with three of my former colleagues who live around the Manchester area, Ashley Barnes and Stephen Ward who play at Burnley and Adam El Abd who plays at Bury Town. We had a great time remembering anecdotes and talking about our experiences and wondering why Iñigo Calderón has still got the same car!! Moreover, we agreed on how nice our teams are. I like to meet up with nice people who I really like and to see that we have the same feeling, whether we play in the Premier, the Championship or in League Two. Coming back to Calderon and his car, its not about having a big car just because you are a footballer but at least one that can pass the MOT without having to pray to the Virgin of Lourdes first."

http://www.am14.net/shame-football-16029/

bring back adam el-abd...who gives a shit if he' slow ...at least he gives a toss..!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Orlandi is a class person and a credit to his profession however, no one can deny he is very injury prone. How many games did he actually play for us last year? Think it was about 12 games started and 6 as sub. He has also had injury problems at Blackpool. Bearing in mind he was, reputedly, one of our highest earners then surely it was better to free up some money for someone else.

In a previous blog, a few weeks ago, Orlandi alleged that the doctor made a mistake which cost him three months out. That doctor is no longer at the club.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

Yep, get some permanent signings in like Toko, Agustein, Stephens and McCourt and get minutes per pound value in the midfield.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
In a previous blog, a few weeks ago, Orlandi alleged that the doctor made a mistake which cost him three months out. That doctor is no longer at the club.

He also claimed he wasn't injury prone, and when he said that he had missed over half of Blackpools games this season...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here