Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All 102 issues of Gulls Eye for a FIVER ?? Don't mind if I do.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Had a quick mince along to the Collectors Fayre at the Amex today, and there on the table in a clear plastic bag was issue 1 to 102 of Gulls Eye for the princely sum of £5. I already have quite a few of these knocking about in the attic somewhere, but certainly not the whole lot. What a FANTASTIC chronological jaunt through the history of the most turbulent period in the clubs history, from the very first issue at the start of the 88-89 season, all the way through to April 1997. The false stadium hopes in November 1990, when the board proudly announced plans for a new £18m, 25,000 seater stadium at Waterhall (with the small matter of planning permission and finance still to be ironed out). The sobering aftermath of Hillsborough and the debate on fences. The analysis of our 88-89 rivals at the start of that season ("Man City 8/1 - its about time that City were back in the top flght, and with the dosh they got for Paul Stewart, £1.7m what a joke, they've made some useful signings. Well worth a bet").

Also from that first edition in August 88 was 10 things to look forward to this season (having just been promoted back to the 2nd tier, or Division 2 in old money)

1. Mike Trussons transfer.
2. Paying a last nostalgic visit to Stamford Bridge (perhaps we could bring back their goalposts as a souvenir).
3. The arrival of that friendly polite mob of Leeds fans
4. Two more boring goalless draws with Stoke City
5. Taking the mick out of Ron Atkinson, David Pleat and Alan Ball
6. Renewing our amiable relationship with a certain South London club
7. Dean Wilkins making some kind of physical challenge
8. Steve Penney's new hairstyle
9. Being invited to Steve Gatting's hotel room
10. The understanding crowd control displayed by Sussex Police

I've barely scratched the surface, but I'm wallowing in the nostalgia. I may be some time.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Had a quick mince along to the Collectors Fayre at the Amex today, and there on the table in a clear plastic bag was issue 1 to 102 of Gulls Eye for the princely sum of £5. I already have quite a few of these knocking about in the attic somewhere, but certainly not the whole lot. What a FANTASTIC chronological jaunt through the history of the most turbulent period in the clubs history, from the very first issue at the start of the 88-89 season, all the way through to April 1997. The false stadium hopes in November 1990, when the board proudly announced plans for a new £18m, 25,000 seater stadium at Waterhall (with the small matter of planning permission and finance still to be ironed out). The sobering aftermath of Hillsborough and the debate on fences. The analysis of our 88-89 rivals at the start of that season ("Man City 8/1 - its about time that City were back in the top flght, and with the dosh they got for Paul Stewart, £1.7m what a joke, they've made some useful signings. Well worth a bet").

Also from that first edition in August 88 was 10 things to look forward to this season (having just been promoted back to the 2nd tier, or Division 2 in old money)

2. Paying a last nostalgic visit to Stamford Bridge (perhaps we could bring back their goalposts as a souvenir).

I've barely scratched the surface, but I'm wallowing in the nostalgia. I may be some time.

Good work. I can remember the first Gulls Eye and it made me laugh like a comedy character on laughing gas. Those quotes may seem old fashioned now but no one else was writing stuff like that down here. It was a massive breath of fresh air and me and my mates adored it.

The next generation will revere the collected Worthing Herald columns in EXACTLY the same way

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Wow what a bargain. The icing on the cake would have been a mint condition Johnny Crumplin Football Genius T-shirt signed by Billy and Lenny!

I have a signed football from that period with the prized signature of course being that of big bad Bobby Codner. It's no there with my cricket bat signed by Sussex legend Giles Cheatle :(

Feb 14, 2010
This must have been the Keith Cuss header against Man City season. What did Gulls Eye say the week after... and where is Keith Cuss now?

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
It's all good stuff, but we just surround ourselves with junk don't we? I always remember being horrified when reading about how Danny Baker had gone up to his loft the chucked out decades worth of Millwall programmes that he'd hoarded and at the time (many years ago now) I remember thinking to myself (an avid programme/fanzine buyer at the time) - How can he have done something like that? And then more recently I ended up doing it myself, not quite able to go the full hog and so just keeping the covers of many (mainly 1990s, nothing too collectable) BHA programmes and maybe the managers notes page from inside and throwing the rest in the recycling.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

I wonder if those are something that [MENTION=118]Hiney[/MENTION] might want a borrow of?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Proper bargain, I would have thought issue one would have been worth a couple of quid on its own.

I absolutely did a double-take when I saw the entire collection sat there for a fiver. I'd have happily paid £20.
Its all been sorted chronologically, and they're all in perfect nick, not even dog-eared. Its actually pretty amazing to see how it went from a very basic couple of rough photocopied sheets in 1988 (the first two are only 2 folded sheets of A4, 20p) to the 100th issue in April 1997, which by then had long had a glossed front and back cover, 30 pages, at an "eye-watering" 70p. They looked far more professional in the later years, but the writing was always still as raw, sharp and hilarious.

It came to a sad but natural end with the Goldstone in 1997, but that pretty much would have coincided with the advent of the internet and of course this very fine site, where suddenly views could be instantly expressed, broadcasted and replied to. But leafing through these old Gulls Eye pages, and reading the letters written, published and responded to by the GE team, its impossible not to get wistful for that pre-online age of fanzines, when that really was the ONLY channel for fans to express themselves about the goings on at the club, without censorship.

This is seriously the best five quid I've ever spent.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

Absolute BARGAIN

I would have fought you for those. Inconsiderately, my Son choose this weekend to get MARRIED, so I couldn't be there.

If you ever feel like scanning the front covers, it would be great to have those in the upcoming Fanzine section of http://www.seagullsprogrammes.co.uk

:thumbsup:

I absolutely did a double-take when I saw the entire collection sat there for a fiver. I'd have happily paid £20.
Its all been sorted chronologically, and they're all in perfect nick, not even dog-eared. Its actually pretty amazing to see how it went from a very basic couple of rough photocopied sheets in 1988 (the first two are only 2 folded sheets of A4, 20p) to the 100th issue in April 1997, which by then had long had a glossed front and back cover, 30 pages, at an "eye-watering" 70p. They looked far more professional in the later years, but the writing was always still as raw, sharp and hilarious.

It came to a sad but natural end with the Goldstone in 1997, but that pretty much would have coincided with the advent of the internet and of course this very fine site, where suddenly views could be instantly expressed, broadcasted and replied to. But leafing through these old Gulls Eye pages, and reading the letters written, published and responded to by the GE team, its impossible not to get wistful for that pre-online age of fanzines, when that really was the ONLY channel for fans to express themselves about the goings on at the club, without censorship.

This is seriously the best five quid I've ever spent.
indeed, remember it well, the first copy was given away I also remember the Hillsboro copy was pay whAt you like with all monies going to the fund

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here