Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much of the problem is down to Tony Bloom?

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Before you start I fully realise the amount of money he has and is putting into the Albion. I also like the fact we have a fan in charge of our club and not a foreign owner. However there are some things I feel we have to question.
1. Firstly the appointment of SH. He has no experience of managing in the championship or England and his record, albeit at a big German club, was poor. He almost got them relegated. Similarly we waited ages to appoint him. I can only hope that the reality was that he was 5th choice or something. The problem lies in the fact that that he wants to employ a yes man who will do what he, Burke and Barber tell him. What do they really know about managing a team? Appoint someone who is Premier League or as our ghastly club phrase says, 'Premier League Ready'.
2. Why state we have a play off potential squad? I appreciate the optimism but if your so sure why are our results so bad.
3. Why give such a full on backing to SH recently in the press and at the Seagulls Over London event? You are shooting yourself in the foot. 3 nervy wins against teams who have since sacked their managers (says it all really) does not constitute hope and to say you have been encouraged by the displays was remarkable. We've got some good players so they will do some okay things in games but we NEVER WIN and don't look like doing it enough times to get 40 points, let alone 50. I really fear he will be very stubborn or loyal AND stick with SH until it is too late.
4. This seasons is a carbon copy of Adams take 2 with all these loanees won't in reality don't care about us going down. We are panic signing anyone. It's also just like the 91-92 when we sold our striker (Mike Small) in the summer after making the play offs but went down.
5. All the blame has gone to Poyet for leaving but I'm critical of the club for not massaging his ego more. Use him like he used us perhaps. I'm not his biggest fan but he was and is a great manager who would have got us up if we could have kept things harmonious. Not piss him off but stating how we would have no money soon, hence him wanting to leave before the end of the season. Bloom and PR Barber couldn't manage him. I realise this is a tad critical but it's always been easy to point the finger at Poyet and not at our management.
6. The appointment of Burke and Barber? We were doing pretty well until then weren't we and they seem completely removed from any criticism. Although outwardly I realise he can't do this, I hope inwardly he is questioning things instead of blind faith.
I know the points above won't be to everyone's taste but I feel his biggest responsibility comes NOW. If he sticks with SH for anymore time, we will go down. I just hope he is not too stubborn or loyal to appoint a new management team before we slide into League 1 while training at the best training ground in the country.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Before you start I fully realise the amount of money he has and is putting into the Albion. I also like the fact we have a fan in charge of our club and not a foreign owner. However there are some things I feel we have to question.
1. Firstly the appointment of SH. He has no experience of managing in the championship or England and his record, albeit at a big German club, was poor. He almost got them relegated. Similarly we waited ages to appoint him. I can only hope that the reality was that he was 5th choice or something. The problem lies in the fact that that he wants to employ a yes man who will do what he, Burke and Barber tell him. What do they really know about managing a team? Appoint someone who is Premier League or as our ghastly club phrase says, 'Premier League Ready'.
2. Why state we have a play off potential squad? I appreciate the optimism but if your so sure why are our results so bad.
3. Why give such a full on backing to SH recently in the press and at the Seagulls Over London event? You are shooting yourself in the foot. 3 nervy wins against teams who have since sacked their managers (says it all really) does not constitute hope and to say you have been encouraged by the displays was remarkable. We've got some good players so they will do some okay things in games but we NEVER WIN and don't look like doing it enough times to get 40 points, let alone 50. I really fear he will be very stubborn or loyal AND stick with SH until it is too late.
4. This seasons is a carbon copy of Adams take 2 with all these loanees won't in reality don't care about us going down. We are panic signing anyone. It's also just like the 91-92 when we sold our striker (Mike Small) in the summer after making the play offs but went down.
5. All the blame has gone to Poyet for leaving but I'm critical of the club for not massaging his ego more. Use him like he used us perhaps. I'm not his biggest fan but he was and is a great manager who would have got us up if we could have kept things harmonious. Not piss him off but stating how we would have no money soon, hence him wanting to leave before the end of the season. Bloom and PR Barber couldn't manage him. I realise this is a tad critical but it's always been easy to point the finger at Poyet and not at our management.
6. The appointment of Burke and Barber? We were doing pretty well until then weren't we and they seem completely removed from any criticism. Although outwardly I realise he can't do this, I hope inwardly he is questioning things instead of blind faith.
I know the points above won't be to everyone's taste but I feel his biggest responsibility comes NOW. If he sticks with SH for anymore time, we will go down. I just hope he is not too stubborn or loyal to appoint a new management team before we slide into League 1 while training at the best training ground in the country.

Spot on:thumbsup:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We may have been doing OK without Barber, but his predecessor SIGNIFICANTLY overspent on staffing etc at the Amex, and he was also a Dick Knight hire.

We also need a DoF as Tony Bloom is part time. He has other business interests and spends a significant amount of the year in Australia. You can't give a manager free reign and open cheque book in that scenario, and you can't expect a CEO to get overly involved in football decisions. Hence DoF.

Surprised how many people miss this point

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
We may have been doing OK without Barber, but his predecessor SIGNIFICANTLY overspent on staffing etc at the Amex, and he was also a Dick Knight hire.

We also need a DoF as Tony Bloom is part time. He has other business interests and spends a significant amount of the year in Australia. You can't give a manager free reign and open cheque book in that scenario, and you can't expect a CEO to get overly involved in football decisions. Hence DoF.

Surprised how many people miss this point

So who's in charge then

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
He owns the club and sanctions the big decisions. The buck stops with him. He refuses to remove Burke, Jones or Hyypia from their respective positions within the club. Everyone can see what an utter shambles everything is, yet we keep ploughing down this dead end street. If only he would hold his hands up and say, he made a mistake, every fan to a man, woman and child would say fair enough. But his apparent failure to do so and stick by his guns will in my view end in relegation if Hyypia remains in his role much longer and quite how we have ended up with 7 or 8 loans at one time, after signing 8 or 9 players, is nothing short of a complete joke. Some people within the club are really falling short at their jobs. But every week they keep drawing their wages, when most of them would have been sacked ages ago anywhere else.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He owns the club and sanctions the big decisions. The buck stops with him. He refuses to remove Burke, Jones or Hyypia from their respective positions within the club. Everyone can see what an utter shambles everything is, yet we keep ploughing down this dead end street. If only he would hold his hands up and say, he made a mistake, every fan to a man, woman and child would say fair enough. But his apparent failure to do so and stick by his guns will in my view end in relegation if Hyypia remains in his role much longer and quite how we have ended up with 7 or 8 loans at one time, after signing 8 or 9 players, is nothing short of a complete joke. Some people within the club are really falling short at their jobs. But every week they keep drawing their wages, when most of them would have been sacked ages ago anywhere else.

FFP... We can't afford to sack them, pay up contracts and hire replacements..

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think TB is currently being over-complacent and allowing his status as a fan to cloud his judgement as a businessman. All the infrastructure is undoubtedly Premier League Ready but it counts for nothing if he allows the on-field business to be run in a Pound Shop manner. He seems quite happy to invest the going rate in everything apart from the playing side and if he's not very careful he'll have the best-looking ground in League One with attendances to match.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Personally I think he is being mis-informed by the other two B's who are telling him everything is very rosy in the garden when in fact all the buds/blooms have withered and died

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
and we can afford to go down, I suppose??? believe me relegation would cost the club a damned site more that sacking those three....make no bones about it, that's where we are heading.

This is a question that needs to be asked when Mr Bloom attends his next fans meeting. I'm sure this has not been added to any current equation they have on the table and if we do go down it would be years before we returned

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
and we can afford to go down, I suppose??? believe me relegation would cost the club a damned site more that sacking those three....make no bones about it, that's where we are heading.

Do you need a scapegoat for everything? None of us can judge Jones in this, and his wages are surely an irrelevance.

Burke is there because we need a DoF as stated. Whether he is right or wrong who really knows, but obviously this season he has had very limited budget to work with.

Hyypia is an easy one, and should go. Very budget signing that has backfired. Bloom wants more control and a yes man after the Poyet situation

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I think TB is currently being over-complacent and allowing his status as a fan to cloud his judgement as a businessman. All the infrastructure is undoubtedly Premier League Ready but it counts for nothing if he allows the on-field business to be run in a Pound Shop manner. He seems quite happy to invest the going rate in everything apart from the playing side and if he's not very careful he'll have the best-looking ground in League One with attendances to match.

50p shop imo :moo:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Do you need a scapegoat for everything? None of us can judge Jones in this, and his wages are surely an irrelevance.

Burke is there because we need a DoF as stated. Whether he is right or wrong who really knows, but obviously this season he has had very limited budget to work with.

Hyypia is an easy one, and should go. Very budget signing that has backfired. Bloom wants more control and a yes man after the Poyet situation

Why do we need a director of football??? Every decent manager interviewed on tv says, they would never work with one but you say we need one, why??? and why do you think several people turned us down in the summer and we ended up wit Hyypia in the first place??? Maybe because we have a DOF and Jones must stay perhaps.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why do we need a director of football??? Every decent manager interviewed on tv says, they would never work with one but you say we need one, why??? and why do you think several people turned us down in the summer and we ended up wit Hyypia in the first place??? Maybe because we have a DOF and Jones must stay perhaps.

Read my earlier post as to why.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
One of the big things I've learnt in Corporate life is to recognise and admit when making a mistake with a key hire.

It's difficult as hell and many, even good leaders, can't do it and revert to a fallback position of "more time" or "needs a better team". I've no idea at all but this has crossed my mind when looking in from the outside

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008

Exactly. Maybe Bloom is the problem if he thinks that SH is better for the club than a Poyet type figure. Bloom is increasingly striking me as out of his depth with his choices of management, football or otherwise.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

NSC: Redefining 'fact' since 1997*

They didn't, Bloom said in his opinion we have one a squad who could challenge for one. You are free to disagree, but just because our results are poor it doesn't mean the players we have are incapable of challenging for the play offs.

-What do you expect? If he comes out and threatens to fire Hyypia if results don't pick up it adds pressure and stress to situations for everyone, and if there are extenuating circumstances to the results it stops him giving one more game, if he feels it is deserved.
-Three wins... we never win... which is it?
-Last season birmingham finished on 44 points and stayed up. Based on our current (last seven games) run of form, we're on target for 46 points - which would have been enough to stay up for three of the last four seasons.

We did quite well after they joined, as well. Consecutive play off finishes, highest finish in how many years?

*or whenever

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here