Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What did the ref say to Colunga as he left the pitch???

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Just seen the goals and sending off on Goals on Sunday and the ref says something to him as Colunga starts walking (looked like F Off or idiot) and Colunga looks back round at him.

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I can understand Colunga's frustration. Thought he had a good game yesterday and the first booking he got was laughable. Referee didn't have much to do for the first 70 minutes but completely lost it in the last 20. I don't think it affected the result but must be frustrating for players when they're desperately trying to get back in the game.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Unfortunately, the laws of the game are quite clear.

For free kicks near the penalty area we have to go through the farce of the referee pacing out ten yards and they specifically hold their whistle in the air to show the attacking side that they should not take the free kick until he blows it. Ignoring the referee, earns an automatic yellow card. Wait until the new year, when we shall also have to put up with the "invisible" spray.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne

For free kicks near the penalty area we have to go through the farce of the referee pacing out ten yards and they specifically hold their whistle in the air to show the attacking side that they should not take the free kick until he blows it. Ignoring the referee, earns an automatic yellow card. Wait until the new year, when we shall also have to put up with the "invisible" spray.

all opponents must be at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball until it is in play
the ball is in play when it is kicked and moves
the free kick is taken from the place where the infringement occurred or from the position of the ball when the infringement occurred (according to the infringement)

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/football-rules...11-11/law-13---free-kicks#aPflzg0m772VXUp2.99

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can't ever remember seeing a yellow for taking a free kick early, unless it's to deliberately waste time, which it clearly wasn't.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
all opponents must be at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball until it is in play
the ball is in play when it is kicked and moves
the free kick is taken from the place where the infringement occurred or from the position of the ball when the infringement occurred (according to the infringement)

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/football-rules...11-11/law-13---free-kicks#aPflzg0m772VXUp2.99

You are ignoring the guidance of the FA to referees over the TAKING of free kicks - I know what free kicks are awarded for.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Where is this guideline that you refer to? Players are able to take quick free kicks from anywhere apart from a penalty. They only have to wait for a whistle if the ref has previously held the whistle up an pointed to indicating that play will restart on the whistle.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
He wasn't cautioned for taking the free kick too quickly, , he was cautioned firstly for either Unsporting Behaviour (C1 AA) - adopting an aggressive attitude, or C2 - showing dissent by word or action (would be likely by what he said to the referee - and how quickly he brandished the yellow.

There is absolutely 0% a FL Referee cautioned a player for taking a free kick too quickly.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I can understand Colunga's frustration. Thought he had a good game yesterday and the first booking he got was laughable. Referee didn't have much to do for the first 70 minutes but completely lost it in the last 20. I don't think it affected the result but must be frustrating for players when they're desperately trying to get back in the game.

You are wrong the ref clearly indicated for him to wait for the whistle so an obvious card You got the 70 mins wrong Colunga was good for 70 mins and a complete waste for the last 20 and should have been substituted,

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

That is absolute rubbish. I am a referee mentor and there is no 'law' or guideline which you are suggesting.

The link you have quoted actually reaffirms this by your misinterpretation.

Last edited:

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
You are wrong the ref clearly indicated for him to wait for the whistle so an obvious card You got the 70 mins wrong Colunga was good for 70 mins and a complete waste for the last 20 and should have been substituted,

Once again, wrong. You would never be cautioned for taking a FK too quickly even if the referee had clearly shown to wait (which in this debatable in this instance).

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I can't ever remember seeing a yellow for taking a free kick early, unless it's to deliberately waste time, which it clearly wasn't.
Sorry but it happens.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Once again a referee gives the advantage to the offending team and the net result is a goal scoring opportunity was lost. Who can blame Colunga for saying something to the ref?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I was told to allow quick free kicks. The whistle doesn't have to be blown.
No but if the ref raises his whistle to indicate that the free kick will be taken on his whistle, as he clearly did then disobeying him will result in a booking. Really is simple.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here