Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

To someone who hasn't been able to see many matches this season

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Apart from the obvious of not winning matches, what is Sami doing wrong?
Is it just basic team formation or a bit more complicated?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We need to score a goal. He takes Bennett off for March. Not the change I would have made, and that's taking nothing away from March, who was great to see back.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Lacks decent tactics.

Plays the wrong players.

Doesn't appear to motivate.

Team plays with no passion.

Give appalling interviews with no insight.

Clueless. Clueless. Clueless.

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
We need to score a goal. He takes Bennett off for March. Not the change I would have made, and that's taking nothing away from March, who was great to see back.

To be honest I thought that was the right change. EB was pretty anonymous most of the game.

I'm not quite sure what is wrong though. I'd say Sami is generally picking the right players. In the right formation but they just don't seem to hold their shape when it matters. Why that is I just don't know.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Tony must have a massive bet on us getting relegated that will recoup £200m that is the only reason I can think of as of why Hypia is still in charge.

Jul 7, 2003
No plan B, lack of leadership and inspiration.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Ince replacing KLL did seem a very odd change and messed up what had been a standard 4-4-2 and had been working very well for the first 20 mins. It's stuff like this that makes me think that he's the wrong man; I couldn't give a **** about his personality in the post match interview.

Maybe he just though that March wouldn't last 70 mins? Although, if that's the case, you'd need to question the bench selection.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
To be honest I thought that was the right change. EB was pretty anonymous most of the game.

I'm not quite sure what is wrong though. I'd say Sami is generally picking the right players. In the right formation but they just don't seem to hold their shape when it matters. Why that is I just don't know.

Most of the season, his tactics, particularly with the full backs, with the formation have been simplistic, ill thought out & disastrous, leaving the defence in particular exhausted & confused. Oscar's bare bones squad always had a purpose, we never look like we do now, do we?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

They had just scored. We needed to attack, and he took off an attacking player. With Ince, JFC and Gardner on the pitch, the options were there to remove a more defence minded player.

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
Ince for KLL ?? That had us all scratching our heads. As someone has already said, what is the point of having March on the bench if you arent going to bring him on in the first half if things go wrong with your other wingers. Sami doesnt tend to use more than two subs Ive noticed.... and given that we are always seemingly needing a goal toward the end of games, seems to suggest he doesnt know what else to do but "hope" ...

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Main issues: We can't play well in both halves of football
If we go a goal up, instead of pushing for a second our tactics are- back off and don't make a tackle allowing pretty much every and any team to equilize
Substitutions are quite frankly puzzling, we have Baldock and March on the bench, and he doesn't make changes until it's too late

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Main issues: We can't play well in both halves of football
If we go a goal up, instead of pushing for a second our tactics are- back off and don't make a tackle allowing pretty much every and any team to equilize
Substitutions are quite frankly puzzling, we have Baldock and March on the bench, and he doesn't make changes until it's too late

We have tactics?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Oscar Garcia knew how to win points. Play it tight for 50-60 mins then bring on the sub(s), and that nearly always effected a change in the flow of the game. Best example I could think of is QPR at home: it was a case of 10 men behind the ball for much of the first hour, then make an attacking sub that completely changes the flow of the game and win 2-0.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Oscar Garcia knew how to win points. Play it tight for 50-60 mins then bring on the sub(s), and that nearly always effected a change in the flow of the game. Best example I could think of is QPR at home: it was a case of 10 men behind the ball for much of the first hour, then make an attacking sub that completely changes the flow of the game and win 2-0.
Agree with a lot of that but the winning goals were from Ulloa and Ward.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Completely agree, I think Oscar overachieved with that squad by being tactically astute. I said last season it may be 'boring' but I much prefer taking the lead and being confident we'll close out the game to taking the lead and always looking vulnerable. Even if we took the lead with 85 minutes gone under Hyypia I would be very unsure whether we could close out a victory. Lets hope the players have more faith in him that I do or his position will become untenable.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here