Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good squad, no direction

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I genuinely think that we now have the players we require to do well in this league. However, I have not seen any evidence to suggest that Hyypia has even the slightest idea how to organise, motivate and direct them over 90 minutes. We were better than Fulham in the first half and looked good in the second half until we scored. From that point on it was a familiar tale of relinquishing the lead and then going two one down. When Fulham scored their second you could see them re-group and shut up shop - exactly what we should have done when we scored. Hyypia is clueless and will take us into L1.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Agree. I thought Fulham were the best side at the Amex this season (great movement off the ball) but we managed well in the first half. Then Symons reorganised and, with our help, Filham came back from 1 down. Sami doesn't motivate, is always out thought by the opposition and something is going very wrong behind the scenes - the players can't concentrate for 90 minutes and scoring a goal is lethal for us.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Hyypia can't blame the squad he has now, the quality is there but he doesn't know how to use it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It is NOT a good squad - its a transitional squad utterly chock full of loan players just passing through. That is NEVER a good recipe for a good squad.

The chickens from the last couple of transfer windows are comfortably roosting. We saw exactly the same under Adams Mk 2, when we stayed up on the final day after binning him in the nick of time. Unfortunately, the current hierarchy are still operating under the belief that we are a top 6 squad and Premier League Ready. We are sleepwalking to League One, and yes, I am preparing the rubber sheets for tonight.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
It is NOT a good squad - its a transitional squad utterly chock full of loan players just passing through. That is NEVER a good recipe for a good squad.

I don't agree I think we have got a good squad now, Yes we've got 6 loan players but it's not like they're just here for an easy ride as every one of them has got something to prove.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I don't agree I think we have got a good squad now, Yes we've got 6 loan players but it's not like they're just here for an easy ride as every one of them has got something to prove.

But if we were to get relegated due to their efforts, it won't matter much to them, as they all disappear back to there clubs. Heart and fight is not the normal part of a fitness gathering loan player's skill set.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Lack of passion, urgency and leadership. Hyypia carries the can, he will take us down I fear. Tony has to sack him to avoid a drop in division. The squad is good enough to stay up.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
I think the squad is OK but also have concerns about the numbers of players "passing through" (especially the loanees). When the going gets even tougher they may not be prepared to fight because they know they will be disappearing in the summer.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Mid-Table squad, poor manager. Would rip your arm off if you offered me 21st right now. My fear is we won't get this sorted in time for us to have a fighting chance in staying up. We need someone in now that will organise the players and give them the grit they are going to need to get us out of the relegation dog-fight ahead.
Rubber sheets tonight for me as I strongly believe we're f****d.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

The chickens from the last couple of transfer windows are comfortably roosting. We saw exactly the same under Adams Mk 2, when we stayed up on the final day after binning him in the nick of time. Unfortunately, the current hierarchy are still operating under the belief that we are a top 6 squad and Premier League Ready. We are sleepwalking to League One, and yes, I am preparing the rubber sheets for tonight.

Put that EXACTLY on another thread yesterday, all too SIMILAR with 2008/9

I agree with the notion that the squad has been chucked together somewhat, but look at the experience we had out there today, Premiership, Championship, La Liga and International. Surely, if Hyppia was any good as a coach, he would have had the ability to get us to 'shut up shop' at home, in the lead and with those players?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Put that EXACTLY on another thread yesterday, all too SIMILAR with 2008/9

It certainly has echoes.

As it happens, I do believe we have enough to be comfortably midtable with this squad of players (top six with this lot is laughable Tony, I'm sorry but it is). But Hyypia is firefighting. I'm thankful that he's finally binned the wingbacks, that was never going to work. But now that he's taken that step and gone back to the drawing board, I fear he really doesn't know what to do for the best. He's floundering. And the players know it.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
But if we were to get relegated due to their efforts, it won't matter much to them, as they all disappear back to there clubs. Heart and fight is not the normal part of a fitness gathering loan player's skill set.

Exactly how many of our starting eleven do you think will worry about still being here next season if we get relegated? They'll all be looking to move on.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I agree with the notion that the squad has been chucked together somewhat, but look at the experience we had out there today, Premiership, Championship, La Liga and International. Surely, if Hyppia was any good as a coach, he would have had the ability to get us to 'shut up shop' at home, in the lead and with those players?

I agree with this. OK, we have a lot of loanees and they may not have the fire in the belly that the likes of Dunk and Lua Lua have but take a look around the league and we're not alone in relying on loan players. In any case, that's a diversion. The real question is: how the hell, in the passing of three seasons, have we gone from good manager to good manager to hopeless basket case?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Nail on the head.

It's all a bit concerning really. I'm not a massive fan of Hyypia from what I've seen so far, but hard to put all the blame at his door to be honest.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Exactly how many of our starting eleven do you think will worry about still being here next season if we get relegated? They'll all be looking to move on.
I would think Stockdale, Baldock, Dunk, Ince and JFK who have all recently signed long contracts, other than them not many that's my point.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here