Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Central midfield

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Average age of what, 21 between them? Most lightweight midfield ever, I think the majority of the rest of the team did their jobs today but JFC Ince and Gardner as a 3 is nowhere near good enough to be a regular central midfield in the championship. I genuinely think we've got good quality in pretty much every other area now.

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
I agree - JFC in particular is very lightweight and ineffective. I would have preferred him to start with Holla.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Certainly missing Crofts in there, need an old head to put his foot on the ball and dictate things, it's asking too much IMO for JFC, Ince & Gardner to boss a game, too many errors from the three of them.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Certainly missing Crofts in there, need an old head to put his foot on the ball and dictate things, it's asking too much IMO for JFC, Ince & Gardner to boss a game, too many errors from the three of them.

Agreed. They'll learn a lot from this experience, but it could also damage their development. It's not fair that fans are giving JFC such abuse (I don't mean constructive criticism, I mean booing before the game even starts), but its equally not fair that he's stuck in this position. But with Crofts & Stephens out, Holla out of form and Toko in no mans land...

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Nail on head. The midfield don't have the experience or physical prowess necessary to hold on when it's backs to the wall. Because of this the team panics when we get a lead and the opposition just waltzes through us down the middle and we end up overrun.

Whilst the midfield is clearly the biggest concern, I do worry that the full backs are suspect defensively too however good they are going forwards. Can't rely on the centre backs and keeper to do everything themselves.

Barry M

Jan 21, 2011
There's a lot of love for jfc on here but for me and the majority around me he's just not good enough. I don't see what he offers. Gardner is pretty poor as well, although today was one of his better games. Ince maybe rusty, but lacks that killer instinct and needs to learn to pass!

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Hell, even Andrews and Hammond are better Championship midfeilders thsn our current bunch. Can't blame JFC though, he's a young talent who's squad player, not ready for starting 40 games per season. Desperately missing Crofts, Stephens and Bridcutt. Gardner, Ince and Holla are downgrades, but I expected much more firget from them.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Still don't see what JFC contributes to the team, seems to lightweight and conservative with his passing. Agree with the OP the current midfield is not good enough to compete in this league.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Average age of what, 21 between them? Most lightweight midfield ever, I think the majority of the rest of the team did their jobs today but JFC Ince and Gardner as a 3 is nowhere near good enough to be a regular central midfield in the championship. I genuinely think we've got good quality in pretty much every other area now.

Had exactly this conversation with other supporters on the walk back to the car

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Experience is the problem. They don t have the nouse to take the sting out of a game a relieve pressure.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Totally agree. The annoying thing is Adam Clayton wanted to sign for us in the summer but the board decided against it.

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
There's a lot of love for jfc on here but for me and the majority around me he's just not good enough. I don't see what he offers. Gardner is pretty poor as well, although today was one of his better games. Ince maybe rusty, but lacks that killer instinct and needs to learn to pass!

Ince needs to learn to pass - what are you going on about!

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Ince is not good enough yet. He was bullied off the ball far too easily, played some very poor balls and seemed to make a lot of poor decisions.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
He didn't turn up to his Boro medical twice as he was waiting for an offer from us but it never came as the board didn't want to spend the money. Hence why they signed Holla on a free instead.

I don't doubt you for one moment but if true is absolutely damning of the club's ambitions.

Adding to this thread, YES, JFC is hardly worthy of a place on the bench for all he contributes IMO.

Ince is a budding talent but like others will fail to impress if he isn't given a regular starting place which IMO he should be given.

Seriously hope that Dale Stephens will return to full fitness sooner rather than later !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here