Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why was Walton dropped?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Not saying Stockdale could have done much about the goals, but that's still 5 we've conceded in two games. Admittedly our defensive tactics are atrocious but is Walton a better communicator/organizer?

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
So what you're really saying is: Please give me something I can pin on Stockdale.

He did what he had to well today and had no chance with either goal.

For the record, Walton does seem a better communicator but a competent defence should be able to organise itself without the keeper constantly breathing down its neck. I could understand the communication angle had Stocko been at fault for organizing his wall but no such mistake occurred so I don't see why you've raised that point?

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
I thought his poor distribution lead to the first goal (about 20 seconds after his poor kick found a Fulham player) but prepared to be corrected if I have mis-remembered this.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Not saying Stockdale could have done much about the goals, but that's still 5 we've conceded in two games. Admittedly our defensive tactics are atrocious but is Walton a better communicator/organizer?

There's so much to moan about so why moan about Stockdale. He's had no chance with any of the 5 goals in those two games in my opinion and probably earned us a point at 2-1 last weekend. Stockdale has been improving since he's been here and in the Rotherham game (before he got injured), he should have been man of the match. He deserves his place in the team and Walton's time will come as he looks a great prospect.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
So what you're really saying is: Please give me something I can pin on Stockdale.

He did what he had to well today and had no chance with either goal.

For the record, Walton does seem a better communicator but a competent defence should be able to organise itself without the keeper constantly breathing down its neck. I could understand the communication angle had Stocko been at fault for organizing his wall but no such mistake occurred so I don't see why you've raised that point?

Walton has a far better record than Stockdale, if you think communication with defence is only crucial with free kicks then you're quite frankly wrong. The best keepers will always be communicating. My question was why was Walton dropped when he was brimming with confidence after not putting a foot wrong in the games he played?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
TBH if I was Walton I wouldn't want to ply behind this crock of shit.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham

It was his awful kick which lead to their first, I'd say he was at fault.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Walton has a far better record than Stockdale

Of course, he's hardly played so thats always going to be the case :ffsparr:

Just save us all the bother and change the title to "I dont like Stockdale".

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Not Stockdales fault the 2 goals, but the BBC stats are worrying 13 shots 3 on target 2 goals.

We've been through this before, what exactly should he do? Ask the defence to let Fulham have more shots on target so he has a chance to make more saves and change that? He had no chance with either goal (even you, who obviously didn't like him from the start, admit that) yet you still find a way to have a go at him in a way. I think there are some so called fans of our club who want players to fail so they can show how right they were originally.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
He had one poor kick all afternoon and it went to their player on the halfway line. How the hell is the goal his fault? The pathetic criticisms of Stockdale on here is a joke.

One poor kick? Where have you been this season? He was at fault for the goal, but I'm not one of those who call for him to be dropped after getting unlucky.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
One poor kick? Where have you been this season? He was at fault for the goal, but I'm not one of those who call for him to be dropped after getting unlucky.

Today, he had one poor kick. That was it. Before you start on his kicking this season, Walton's kicking was the weakest aspect of his game during the three games he played and was much worst than Stockdale.

The midfield and defence opened up. The goal wasn't Stockdale's fault, it was the team's fault for opening up like that. By saying the goal today was his fault, it's hard to believe you've been that supportive.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Today, he had one poor kick. That was it.

Are you sure about that?

I'm not a Stockdale hater. I'm actually a fan of his. HOWEVER, that doesn't alter my opinion on Fullham's first goal today. Yes our team was spread out... of course it bloody was as WE were in possession and taking a goalkick. Do you expect tight fullbacks and dropped midfeilders when taking a goal kick in the 60th minute? He's only human, so accidental mistakes come naturally, but that doesn't pass the blame.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Are you sure about that?

I'm not a Stockdale hater. I'm actually a fan of his. HOWEVER, that doesn't alter my opinion on Fullham's first goal today. Yes our team was spread out... of course it bloody was as WE were in possession and taking a goalkick. Do you expect tight fullbacks and dropped midfeilders when taking a goal kick in the 60th minute? He's only human, so accidental mistakes come naturally, but that doesn't pass the blame.

Yes I am sure about that.

As for the kick. The goal came from the other side of the pitch to where the kick went so we had plenty of time to get players back. Are you seriously suggesting that goal was Stockdale's fault and had nothing to do with the rest of the time? Seriously? It was a poor goal kick but to blame it for their goal is ridiculous.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Yes I am sure about that.

As for the kick. The goal came from the other side of the pitch to where the kick went so we had plenty of time to get players back. Are you seriously suggesting that goal was Stockdale's fault and had nothing to do with the rest of the time? Seriously? It was a poor goal kick but to blame it for their goal is ridiculous.

Players were spread out because we were in possession and taking a goal kick.

We lost possession due to a bad goal kick.

Who's at fault here? Just my view on the matter. The goal kick was even a difficult one, it was a simple chip pass 49 yards away.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
He had one poor kick all afternoon and it went to their player on the halfway line. How the hell is the goal his fault? The pathetic criticisms of Stockdale on here is a joke.

I find it laughable that from my comments people have deduced that I 'hate Stockdale' :lol::lol:. I support each and every player who plays for Brighton, I was simply questioning why Walton was dropped after a couple of great games. Although I agree Stockdale couldn't have done much about the goals yesterday I genuinely can't remember him making a 'top quality' save and I've missed 3 games all season. It seems to be a reoccurring pattern than a very high percentage of shots on target from the opposition result in goals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here