Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tatically Inept !

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Kaz off injured and brings on Ince !? WTF ??
Fulham could not handle two wingers at that time so we bring on a defensive midfielder and lose our options on one wing, then 2-1 down we take off Benno and bring on Solly ??

Doesn't he realise we were on the front foot when Kaz got hurt and we were 2-1 down when Benno was taken off ?
We only used 2 subs as well so what was wrong with taking JFC off and bring Baldock on to have a go at them for the last ten minutes ??

BIN THE FINN

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Fulham could not handle two wingers at that time so we bring on a defensive midfielder and lose our options on one wing, then 2-1 down we take off Benno and bring on Solly ??

While a like-for-like replacement is the logical choice, we must remember that Solly hasn't had much game time and to give him that long wouldn't have been sensible as he'd tire early and possibly have to be replaced.

As for the late change of Benno for Solly...no idea. Dunno if it was tiredness of Benno's part, or injury or just tactical.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Doesn't he realise we were on the front foot when Kaz got hurt and we were 2-1 down when Benno was taken off ?
We only used 2 subs as well so what was wrong with taking JFC off and bring Baldock on to have a go at them for the last ten minutes ??

BIN THE FINN

If you really can't see why Sami did that then there's not much point in trying to talk to you about the game.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
While a like-for-like replacement is the logical choice, we must remember that Solly hasn't had much game time and to give him that long wouldn't have been sensible as he'd tire early and possibly have to be replaced.

As for the late change of Benno for Solly...no idea. Dunno if it was tiredness of Benno's part, or injury or just tactical.

We only used 2 subs so we could replace Solly when he tired.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
What game were you watching then ??
Give Solly a good run for an hour then if he tires bring on Baldock
Not rocket science is it really ??

Bring on a player who clearly can't last 70 minutes for the remaining 70 minutes. Great idea.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Maybe we could have put CMS out wide when Kaz went off. Oh, wait a minute. :facepalm:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This. He switched players and maintained width. It was not a like for like.

I don't fully agree with the OP but we massively lost width and I don't know how anyone couldn't see that. Bennett and Colunga went narrow and we went far more negative. I understand not risking March but it's a real shame, perhaps Baldock could've come on and Colunga gone out left? The shape looked SO good and so positive in the first 15-20.

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
So Bruno wasnt isolated for the rest of the first half then ???? Different game to what I watched then

I saw a number of chances for us to attack with Bruno down the right in the second half when he was in acres of space but more often than not Stockdale favoured short distribution down the left side which was a shame.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The biggest piece of tactical ineptness today was starting Gardner and JFC without either Ince or Holla, then naming BOTH of the latter two on the bench rather than a game changer like McCourt. Daft

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I saw a number of chances for us to attack with Bruno down the right in the second half when he was in acres of space but more often than not Stockdale favoured short distribution down the left side which was a shame.

In the second half he put Benno back in front of him but as I said in my previous post "FIRST HALF "

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This. He switched players and maintained width. It was not a like for like.

Hardly. We went from having KLL and Bennett out wide to having just Bennett out wide. Colunga remains pretty ineffective as he has no pace and is too easily knocked off the ball.

As much as I would like to have seen March replace KLL, there was too long left. The ineptness was not bringing on March on at least 10 minutes earlier when it was clear Colunga was a passenger and Fulham were well on top.

Zen Frenzy

Jul 2, 2013
Withdean
Biggest disappointment of the season given how well we started. What I found most frustrating was our seeming inability to deal with a team that had made its mind up to try and win the match almost as soon as Bent scored. From that point onwards the whole thing felt inevitable. Fulham attacked as a team whilst our forays upfront were dealt with in the style of grown-ups stopping kids from punching them by holding their heads at arms length. We were contained so easily. Coupled with not being able to get the ball even close to target from set pieces was also depressing. Gutted.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The tactical ineptness for me was not using the third sub to bring on Baldock to play alongside Bent for the last 5 or 10 mins when we were chasing the game.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
We are tactically inept, but Ince made the balance better with the holding midfield position - the tactical mess up was not bringing Baldock on. Happy with March for Benno (who wasn't doing much) but why have Baldock at the club at all if he is never going to play alongside a very good forward like Bent? Just madness. Baldock is not a line striker so he has to play as a front two - so why have him here if we will never do that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here