Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speeding Advice

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Anyone know if it is legal for a speed camera van to operate from a central reservation, on an urban clearway, on a road with unbroken double yellows on both sides?
59ef131bb15d472f93e317a6f44b5798.jpg
4e229d99b19a8007e5cf03f06be2510a.jpg

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Anyone know if it is legal for a speed camera van to operate from a central reservation, on an urban clearway, on a road with unbroken double yellows on both sides?

Not it's not. Unless it is an emergency situation all the emergency services have to abide by the laws and regulations of the road. It is illegal to park on a central reservation. A speed trap is hardly an emergency situation.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Be a man and take responsibility for your actions.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Anyone trying to get out of Olive Road when cars come speeding round that blind bend at 40mph, is probably glad of it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Why not report it to the Police ? If they are parked illegally then action should be taken.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
It's a designated and registered safety camera zone. So yes. It can park there.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not aware he even suggested he'd been caught speeding ??? Regardless, the authorities should stick to the law.

If it is illegally parked would it render the tickets illegal. No doubt some people will try pepipoo but unfortunately many will just swear about it but accept it, that is the English nature of acceptng things.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
If you have been caught like always I would say look for a reason to fight it but that is me and my attitude, never just accept anything.

I was done going through Coldwaltham a few months ago and had to go on the speed awareness course. They explained on there that you'd only get a ticket if they're certain that the evidence they have would hold up if you challenged it in court. If they're not sure, they won't send a ticket.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am sure I read that a number of people have received tickets from the speed cameras on the A24 that couldnt differentiate between 0 8 and O due to the placement of the screws attaching the number plates.

Not it's not. Unless it is an emergency situation all the emergency services have to abide by the laws and regulations of the road. It is illegal to park on a central reservation. A speed trap is hardly an emergency situation.
I once initiated a robust conversation with a couple of police officers who parked their car at a bus stop in North Street, Brighton.

They had the grace to agree that the Bus Stop Clearway Order (and the road signs) did apply to them.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I am sure I read that a number of people have received tickets from the speed cameras on the A24 that couldnt differentiate between 0 8 and O due to the placement of the screws attaching the number plates.

I assume they'd run other checks if the plates were similar - for example if one car was a Mini and the other a motorbike then it'd be easy to tell.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I was done going through Coldwaltham a few months ago and had to go on the speed awareness course. They explained on there that you'd only get a ticket if they're certain that the evidence they have would hold up if you challenged it in court. If they're not sure, they won't send a ticket.

I used to work with someone who was summoned to court after refusing to pay the fine issued and he chose to challenge it.

Once in the dock he was asked what the speed limit for the road he was when 'caught' - He replied 40mph. They then asked him, according to the photogragh, how fast was he travelling when he passed the speed camera? - he said 30mph....

They realised that the system has mailfunctioned and it turned out that it had summoned about 40 people for speeding and after they double checked each one, they found that 39 of them had been under the speed limit at the time

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here