Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Abandoned matches

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just wondered what other people think is the right thing to do about matches suspended due to rain/storms etc.

Noticed yesterday the Europa League match between Estoril and PSV was abandoned at half-time with Estoril 3-2 up - and ONLY the second half will be played later today.

I think I'm right in saying that is not how it works in England, and if the 90 minutes is not completed the match is void and must be replayed in full.

Just seems bizarre that for the same sport there can be two such very different rules for this scenario between countries, potentially leading to very different outcomes.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Once the game begins, only the referee has the right to decide whether the game continues, is suspended temporarily, terminated or abandoned. If a game is abandoned or terminated before it is completed, the determination of the result is up to the competition authority (league, cup, tournament).
The referee does not have the authority to declare what the score is or who has won the game. The referee’s only recourse is to include in his game report full details of what caused the match to be abandoned or terminated. The status of an abandoned is determined by the rules of the competition or the competition authority itself.
Football rules in England state that a match should last 90 minutes so should a match be abandoned and the 90 minutes is not completed generally it is ordered to be replayed with the original match being void.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
There have only ever been a handful of instances when a result has allowed to stand despite 90 minutes not being played. The Bradford Lincoln (when the stadium caught fire) game being one.

The other one that springs to mind is when Man Utd lost to City in the mid 1970's and were relegated thanks to that Denis Law back heel. United fans invaded the pitch and the game was abandoned but the result stood.

el punal

I hate to be pedantic, but I'm pretty sure it's 70? This game was abandoned after 68 http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/6205573.stm (only match I can recall)

Is this a new directive? I remember the Albion away to Swindon in 1977 and were losing 0-4 with minutes to go. The ref abandoned the match due to waterlogged pitch. The locals were not happy - hee! hee! It didn't matter we lost the re-arranged fixture 1-2 later on in the season.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I thought once 60 minutes had been played in England, the result stood?

I believe Iamapen15 is right. The norm in this country is that if a game is abandoned before 90 minutes then it is void and replayed. I'm not sure but I believe the Sheff Utd game was allowed to stand because there was a very strong suspicion that the second player to come off injured may not have been genuine and therefore Sheff Utd were trying to engineer a situation that would force a replay.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Is this a new directive? I remember the Albion away to Swindon in 1977 and were losing 0-4 with minutes to go. The ref abandoned the match due to waterlogged pitch. The locals were not happy - hee! hee! It didn't matter we lost the re-arranged fixture 1-2 later on in the season.

1st January IIRC. It wasn't minutes to go though, it was about 20. I remember that the walk back to the station was pretty hairy afterwards

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
1st January IIRC. It wasn't minutes to go though, it was about 20. I remember that the walk back to the station was pretty hairy afterwards
18 Iminutes

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
As far as my fading memory recalls, I have only been to one abandoned fixture. York City in '96. The big game that brought attention to our cause.

My father and I were the last to find out that Brighton v Reading had been cancelled. We wandered down to find Withdean in darkness.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Wasn't it because of snow? I thought the ref had said if there was any more snow, he would call it off, there was, and he did

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I always was under the impression the score stood in FL games after 64th minute. It happened to us at Swindon some years ago when we were about 3 or 4 nil down and ref started 2nd half played a few minutes then called it off. We lost the rearranged game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here