Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Need advice on affordable old cars

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Hello good people of NSC,

Trying to decide what type of old car to buy..

Thinking either of the following:

Ford Capri,
Lada - VAZ 2105,
Reliant Robin,
Classic mini,
Scimiter GTE 2.9l

Or any recommendations on other - more affordable - types of cars?

Thanks!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Golf Mk1

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Porsche 944 _ sensible classic
Alfa Romeo 916 GTV or Spider - more risky but fantastic value for money at the moment

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
David Stockdale is your man. He loves a classic car!

I'd love a Ford Capri, my dad had one when I was a kid. Awesome car. I was lucky enough to own a Mk1 Golf GTi in my late teens. Another fantastic car.

Have you considered a BMW 2002? Munich Legends in Chelwood Gate used to be a good starting point for this type of thing, I don't know if it still is.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'd go for a Mini, you'd need to spend a decent amount to get a good one but then it should be pretty cheap to maintain.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Classic Mini would be my choice from your list. They are fetching really good money at the moment as well.

Lots of fun to drive too!

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I've got an absolute sh*tter of a 2001 Freelander if you wanna start there

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Saab 900 Turbo. A nicely sorted one will set you back around £5k. If you get a Full Pressure Turbo you're looking at a hugely comfortable and practical classic that will easily outpace a Scimitar or Capri.

zxtwinturbo

Nov 7, 2014
Or one of the most underated jap fast car ever.dont laugh...Datsun cherry turbo...0-60 in about 8 seconds which in the 80s was mega...i think there are only 3 left in uk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Blimey they are quite rare now.Mitsubishi colt starion turbos were the dogs when i first got seriously into cars..

One of the best things about the Mitsubishi Colt Starion is that the intended name at launch was "Stallion" but there were a few phonetic / translation issues between the Japanese and the US / European marketing divisions.

tedlit

Nov 18, 2006
Scotland (just)
Nissan Bluebird turbo, Primera GT, or a Rover Vitesse. No one expects *any* of them. :D

Going a bit older... can't go wrong with a Dolly Sprint, a 2.8 Capri, or a mk2 Jag. All on my wish list. :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here