Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Facebook......... The cheek of it???

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
tinfoil.jpg

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Messages, control over video and camera functions fit a start!

What about video calling?

Edit: Not sure you can do that on FB actually, so it's just the option to take and send photos/videos directly from the app. From my link above:

Why does Facebook Messenger need access to your camera?

If you want to send a photo to a friend directly through the Messenger app, you'll be asked to give permission for the app to access your camera. It's not asking you to let it access the camera so that it can watch you while you're sleeping.

Why does Facebook Messenger need access to your microphone?

If you want to voice call a friend through Facebook Messenger, the app will need permission to access your microphone, because otherwise it wouldn't be able to hear what you're saying and neither would your friend. The microphone is also required for recording and sending video clips with audio.

Can Facebook Messenger call my contacts without my knowledge?

You'll need to give Facebook Messenger permission to directly call phone numbers if you want to use the app, but it won't do so without your knowledge. What the permission actually does is allow you to call a Messenger contact by tapping on their phone number.

Can Facebook Messenger text my contacts without my knowledge?

Facebook also requires permission to edit, receive, read and send SMS messages, which is understandably confusing, but you can rest assured that the company isn't going to send your friends messages without your permission. The app needs you to allow it to have control over messages to allow you to confirm your phone number via a confirmation code that Facebook sends to you via text message.
[/I][/I][/I]

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
What about video calling?

Edit: Not sure you can do that on FB actually, so it's just the option to take and send photos/videos directly from the app
Dunno. I never use it so doesn't bother me much. Tend to text more than anything.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This video shows you exactly what facebook messenger has access to on your mobile phone, plus displays what is does with that information too.
No it doesn't. It's scaremongering BS. That video says that messenger reads the text messages you send friends and sends those messages to facebook for analysis - and that it can records you (video and audio) while your phone is in standby etc. There's no evidence to show any of that is true. Messenger needs those permissions so you can use the app to send a message etc.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
No it doesn't. It's scaremongering BS. That video says that messenger reads the text messages you send friends and sends those messages to facebook for analysis - and that it can records you (video and audio) while your phone is in standby etc. There's no evidence to show any of that is true. Messenger needs those permissions so you can use the app to send a message etc.

I copied that quote off the video, so it wasn’t my thoughts I was promoting, and it probably is scaremongering now I have seen leigull's link.

Funilly enough it popped up on my facebook but anyway it was just a spontaneous thread.

I do think Google and Facebook want to track us, own our soles and life stories though.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I deleted Facebook off my phone about 4 years ago and have never looked back. It always crashed my phone and used a huge amount of processor . Good riddance.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I copied that quote off the video, so it wasn’t my thoughts I was promoting, and it probably is scaremongering now I have seen leigull's link.
I wasn't sure either until I read Leigull's link.

I do think Google and Facebook want to track us, own our soles and life stories though.
I'm sure they'd like to get away with whatever they can, in the pursuit of making money. It's important for people to resist our rights being infringed, just not sure they have been on this occasion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here