Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Black Friday Riots and Mayhem...........

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
What a load of American influenced tosh, may I be controversial and suggest all the areas listed below with disturbances are mainly in deprived areas. You won't catch me wasting my life in such a way.

Police have been called to supermarkets across the UK amid crowd surges as people hunt for "Black Friday" offers.
Greater Manchester Police appealed for calm after attending seven Tesco shops, at which three men were arrested and a woman was hit by a falling television.
The force said the issues were "totally predictable" and it was "disappointed" by shop security. Tesco said only a "small number" of stores were affected.
Police were called in places including Dundee, Glasgow, Cardiff and London.

Originating in the US, Black Friday is becoming a major UK shopping day.

Shoppers fight over a TV in a supermarket
Staff tried to keep order as customers competed over items including televisions
Police in Manchester tweeted: "At least two people arrested at #BlackFriday sales events already this morning. Keep calm people!"
The force said there had been "disturbances" at the seven Tesco stores. Incidents included:
About 200 shoppers refused to leave a store in Middleton "despite being told stock had all gone"
Fights broke out between shoppers in Stretford, and a woman suffered "minor injuries" after being hit by a falling television. The store was closed at 00:36 GMT
A man was arrested in Salford after he threatened to "smash a staff member's face in"
In Wigan, officers were called to reports of "several hundred people trying to enter the store". Police added: "Two men were ejected before control was regained"
There were reports of fighting in a store in Hattersley, where a man was arrested for a public order offence
A man was arrested for assault at a store in Green End
Police at Cardiff Tesco store
Police were called to a Tesco store in Cardiff as crowds gathered for Black Friday deals
Staff handing out stock to a crowd of customers in Asda
Thousands of people visited stores overnight to get Black Friday offers
In London, police were called by both Tesco staff and queuing shoppers as people gathered at the Glover Drive store in Edmonton.
Officers also attended Tesco stores in Willesden and Surrey Quays.

The Metropolitan Police said officers worked with staff to "ensure that sale-goers were able to enter and exit the stores safely", and said no-one had been injured "as a result of the overcrowding".

Sgt Paul Marshall, a Metropolitan Police officer, tweeted: "Even on #BlackFriday shoving people to the floor so you can get £20 off a Coffee Maker is still an assault."
Crowd control
In South Wales, police said they were called by concerned staff at a number of Tesco stores.
A spokesman said officers were twice called to Tesco in Excelsior Road, Cardiff, just after midnight, when concerns were raised about customer conduct inside the shop. No arrests were made.Crowds left many shelves empty at a Tesco store in Cardiff
Police were called to Tesco at Silverburn in the Pollok area of Glasgow about 11:45 GMT on Thursday after staff reported scuffles among several customers.
The store was closed for a period, and footage from the scene shows shoppers shoving each other as they attempt to grab items from trolleys.

Police were also called to the Tesco in Kingsway, Dundee, to help with crowd control.
Avon and Somerset Police said they were called after scuffles in the queue at Tesco in Brislington, Bristol, at about midnight.
The BBC's Zoe Conway tweeted a picture of a woman on her knees with the words: "Customers knocked to the ground in the rush at Asda Wembley #BlackFriday."
A woman on her knees, having fallen over in a supermarket
Customers were "knocked to the ground" at Asda in Wembley
Shoppers compete to purchase retail items on "Black Friday" at an Asda superstore in Wembley
Asda in Wembley was one of many UK supermarkets where Black Friday deals led to chaotic scenes
Sir Peter Fahy, Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police, said he was "disappointed that stores did not have sufficient security staff on duty".
"Across Greater Manchester large supermarkets already make significant demands on policing through calls to shoplifting, anti-social behaviour and thefts of fuel from their petrol stations - much of which is preventable," he said.
"We just ask these stores to work with us to reduce the demands on policing and reduce the risks of disorder and crime."

Attachments

• _79356587_tesco2.jpg
    _79356587_tesco2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 946
  • _79361298_79357959.jpg
    _79361298_79357959.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,039
  • _79361316_024904725-1.jpg
    _79361316_024904725-1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 996
  • _79361314_024904339-1.jpg
    _79361314_024904339-1.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 930

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
That bottom left picture makes them look like refugees fighting for food parcels in a war torn country, except in this case it's chavs fighting for rubbish TVs in Asda.

D

Deleted member 22389

Unbelievable isn't it. If they are insisting on running this next year, It should be on a first come first serve basis where you wait in line, you get one item per person, then you won't get carnage like this. If you arrive too late and you don't get anything tough, but what we have here is everything that is wrong about Christmas in reality.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Unbelievable isn't it. If they are insisting on running this next year, It should be on a first come first serve basis where you wait in line, you get one item per person, then you won't get carnage like this. If you arrive too late and you don't get anything tough, but what we have here is everything that is wrong about Christmas in reality.

That won't give the stores free advertising by getting on the news though.

That bottom left picture makes them look like refugees fighting for food parcels in a war torn country, except in this case it's chavs fighting for rubbish TVs in Asda.

Exactly the thought that first came into my head.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I wonder how much stock has "walked" out of the stores today compared to a regular day of shoplifting ?

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
From the other thread;

I will pre-fix this post with the fact that I am a savey buyer and will make sure if im buying something I need I do so at the best price.

However, there is something very "lower class" about all this Black Friday / Sales / Reduced items bullshit. It's so cringey.

I see people in the supermarket all the time 'festering' the reduced section, gorging on their purchase of a lattice steak pie which was reduced to £1.30 becuase it goes out of date tomorrow.

Simularly people falling on the floor infront of news crews, so desperate to save a few bob that they will publically humilate themselves just to get to a 2nd rate TV which they wouldnt look twice at the rest of the year.

You really can't buy class, but if you could, these people would only do so with heavily promoted discount.

D

Deleted member 22389

I should imagine Brighton will be just as bad where you have a long line of cars waiting to get in the car parks, and people endlessley going around in circles looking for a space.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Halloween, Proms (what was wrong with a bottle of Lambrini in the woods before going to a school disco?), Black Friday.

We'll all be eating moms apple pie and franchising our sport soon!!

GO FUDGEPACKERS!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I see people in the supermarket all the time 'festering' the reduced section, gorging on their purchase of a lattice steak pie which was reduced to £1.30 becuase it goes out of date tomorrow.

I've always hated the boxing day sales - and Black Friday is another day which just demonstrates what a gross consumerist culture we have become - but you can't group it in with poor people looking for supermarket discounts. The rise in food banks suggests that there are a lot of people in this country who have a genuine need to use the reduced section.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
but you can't group it in with poor people looking for supermarket discounts. The rise in food banks suggests that there are a lot of people in this country who have a genuine need to use the reduced section.

Oh you can when they scrabble around on the floor fighting their neighbours for a 39inch TV and then moaning about not having money to have a proper Christmas whilst sparking up a fag.

D

Deleted member 18477

I've never purchased anything on Black Friday and doubt I ever will. My sleep is far more important to me than late night Supermarket Royal Rumbles!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I've never been one to shirk from a bargain, but as someone mentioned in another thead - it's only worth it if you really need it. How many of the items will end up on eBay/listing sites within the hour?

Not a fan of the Black Friday concept - I can understand that the retailers love it as they're guaranteed some business but it turns people into right neanderthals.

I'm surprised that, being British they've forgotten how to queue and be polite.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I should imagine Brighton will be just as bad where you have a long line of cars waiting to get in the car parks, and people endlessley going around in circles looking for a space.

I just got back from Churchill Square; it wasn't that bad. Though it is now approaching lunchtime so probably going to get busier.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its pretty sad really, seeing people fight over a Polaroid or Blaupunkt TV, just because its got "50%" sticker. they'd have walked past the same TV with Technika on it at the same price last week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here