Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is it with these PONY Christmas jumpers?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
For a start, they actually have Xmas designs on them? What's that 'abart ???

For blokes of middle years, the original concept was going to the pub on Christmas Day lunch for a couple of pints before carving the turkey, and nodding to acquaintances wearing equally horrendous genuine 100% acrylic jumpers with interwoven 'alpine' leitmotif, in high contrast colourways

We all did it to keep granny happy, and to let her think we were ever so grateful for her gift :smile:

As usual, an old tradition has been commodified, and put on sale...

Ho hum(bug)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Misery!

I love my Rudolph the red nose reindeer jumper, with optional glowing red nose.

Especially after a bottle or two of wine 🙀

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Mine has got a snowman on it rather than a PONY (which isn't very Christmassy)

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

For blokes of middle years, the original concept was going to the pub on Christmas Day lunch for a couple of pints before carving the turkey, and nodding to acquaintances wearing equally horrendous genuine 100% acrylic jumpers with interwoven 'alpine' leitmotif, in high contrast colourways

We all did it to keep granny happy, and to let her think we were ever so grateful for her gift :smile:

Ho hum(bug)

Agreed - the novelty ones are utter ****!!!

The worst thing is there's a lot of nice knitwear at the moment that's similar to the 80's style patterns. If any c**t asks me if I'm wearing a Christmas jumper (it's already happened once) they'll be getting the same response: I'd rather catch Ebola than waste money on that sh*t, now f**k off and stop talking to me :tosser:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Agreed - the novelty ones are utter ****!!!

The worst thing is there's a lot of nice knitwear at the moment that's similar to the 80's style patterns. If any c**t asks me if I'm wearing a Christmas jumper (it's already happened once) they'll be getting the same response: I'd rather catch Ebola than waste money on that sh*t, now f**k off and stop talking to me :tosser:

Get off the fence, are you for or against them?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Ho hum(bug)

Christmas has a long and proud tradition of creating " New " traditions. here are just a few stand out examples.

Cranberries, never had that in the 60-70's when I was growing up.

Goose Fat, just used meat dripping for roast tatties, never even saw a Goose.

Christmas Jumpers, which really were just a poor pattern, now openly embraced and marketed as must have tat.

Boxing Day trains, now sadly gone for ever it would seem.

Tarted up veg. In my day it was boiled Sprouts/Carrots/ Peas with your Xmas dinner, now we have Minted Peas, Tarragon Roast Carrots, Sprouts fried with Chestnuts and Bacon Lardons.

Christmas Lights. They went around your tree and not all over your roof/garage/front garden. There were no illuminated 2' Penguins then. Nowdays, in a time of global warming we spend £350 on illuminated crap and elecricity to raise £20 for a charity.

Stores actually closed for a full TWO DAYS ! sometimes 3 if the day after Boxing Day was a Sunday. Now we worry that we might run out of Tonic Water or Creme Fraiche and have to suffer until Boxing Day.

And yet there are more...

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
Our local shopping mall.....a stand selling them so as you can participate in 'National xmas jumper day'
What joy!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
BaPDHoZCAAAYCe1.jpg:large

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Eurgh, smug 40 year old fathers who work in digital marketing wearing "funny" Christmas Jumpers and posting pics of his family wearing similar on FB with phrases like " Just me and the crazy gang at Chrimbo! Love my mad family!"

And hipsters.

No one comes out of this clean.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
We are participating in 'National Christmas Jumper Day' at work next week. I've got nothing against them - harmless fun and all that, but jumpers make me sweaty, so I'll wear my usual Christmas t-shirt instead.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
christmas-jumper.JPG

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
We are participating in 'National Christmas Jumper Day' at work next week. I've got nothing against them - harmless fun and all that, but jumpers make me sweaty, so I'll wear my usual Christmas t-shirt instead.

This is a popular misconception - it's harmful to people's DIGNITY. The office workplace is terrible for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here