Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Booking fees for tickets

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Has there ever been a legal ruling on these?

The club charge £1.50 per ticket for buying tickets on the telephone or in person, or £1 if paid for online whether posted or collected.

I can see the £1 charge for posting them being justified for posting although the per ticket charge is daily robbery.

But how you can justify charging a booking fee for collecting them in person?

And I know that this is widespread across the ticketing industry so I assume there has been a ruling of some sort that allows this? Anyone know?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Do you get charged if you print off your own ticket?

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
The club need to run as "efficiently" as possible so need to encourage fans to buy tickets in the cheapest (for both club and fan) way possible. This is done by purchasing ticket and printing at home (or at work, friends etc.)
It costs a bit more to post (people to pack tickets, postage costs etc.) so that is understandably a little more expensive.
It costs even more to employ more people to man phones, kiosks etc. so understandable that costs more too.

I think the club has it right, it's only £1/£1.50 (not like music gig fees rip-off!) and you have the choice/option to minimise/exclude the cost if that £1/£1.50 is important to you.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
The club need to run as "efficiently" as possible so need to encourage fans to buy tickets in the cheapest (for both club and fan) way possible. This is done by purchasing ticket and printing at home (or at work, friends etc.)
It costs a bit more to post (people to pack tickets, postage costs etc.) so that is understandably a little more expensive.
It costs even more to employ more people to man phones, kiosks etc. so understandable that costs more too.

I think the club has it right, it's only £1/£1.50 (not like music gig fees rip-off!) and you have the choice/option to minimise/exclude the cost if that £1/£1.50 is important to you.

Thank you for that post, Mr Barber.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think that all booking fees are disgraceful. Gig tickets are the worst, once paid £4.50 a ticket booking fee for REM, the tickets were collected on the day from the venue. So the four of us paid £18 for a white envelope and 20 seconds time of a minimum wage student to hand them to me.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I recently bought tickets for the Foo Fighters in Edinburgh next June.

For whatever buxxshit reason it equates as follows - Advertised ticket price, plus £6.50 per ticket, plus £6.50 transaction fee equals 'You have had your trousers taken down by the ticket agency'.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Yep, it's only a quid - what can you buy with that these days ???

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Loads of companies do this! The money grabbing bast*rds!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its been said (i dont recall with what authority) that its down to the licencing fees for the software that runs the ticketing system.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
The booking fee is more (£1.50) to buy from the ticket office than it is to do it online (£1). One way around that is of course to book it from within the club shop on your mobile, then wander up to the counter and collect it straight away

I could quite easily book online and go and collect my tickets but want something for my £1 worth so make them post them out

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
To answer the OP, there's no consumer protection law which would prevent booking fees being charged on every ticket, provided that this fact is communicated clearly. Though the club may wish to characterise them as booking fees for PR, accounting or other purposes, they are legally just part of the price for which a ticket is offered for sale.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here