Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

VHS

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Just read that Titanic was released on TWO x VHS tapes, as the movie was so long.

(And others too, inc Schindler's List and Gettysburg.)

Was this the case in the UK? Anyone remember this?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Some early DVD releases were known as "flippers" because the movie was split onto both sides so you had to take the DVD out of the machine and turn it over to watch the second half.

-gully-

The Flux Capacitor
Nov 7, 2009
Shrewsbury
Some blank tapes were 4hrs. Titanic is only 2 and a bit hours long. I'm sure titanic and schindlers list were single tapes.

-gully-

The Flux Capacitor
Nov 7, 2009
Shrewsbury
Some early DVD releases were known as "flippers" because the movie was split onto both sides so you had to take the DVD out of the machine and turn it over to watch the second half.

I had goodfellas like this. Never heard of the flip thing at the time and watched the second half of the film first. Confused the hell out of me.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Some blank tapes were 4hrs. Titanic is only 2 and a bit hours long. I'm sure titanic and schindlers list were single tapes.

240min tapes were/are very thin.

Titanic is 3.5 hours long.

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
Titanic was on one VHS cassette, at least in the UK.

A lot of long films were released on two cassettes in the US. I think this may have been down to the NTSC picture standard they used, which meant that not as much could be fit on a single tape. It runs at 30 frames per second, whereas the PAL standard we used in the UK had 25 frames a second.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Indeed - thanks.

Answering my own question:

PAL and NSTC recordings run at different speeds.

A 180 tape would record 180min PAL but just 129min in NTSC (US etc)

So Titanic etc was split over two tapes in US, but one here.

Stand down, all. Thanks.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

My eldest son watched his Crouching Tiger , Hidden Dragon DVD all the way through in Mandarin Chinese with subtitles and then I pointed out there was a English dubbed option in the audio sub menu :lol:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Apocalypse Now: Redux @ 3hrs 23mins (?) was on one tape (included 43 mins. extra footage over the orig.)

Is that where they go and eat a meal with some French colonial family or something? Remember seeing that version once. Didn't add much for me.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Titanic was on one VHS cassette, at least in the UK.

A lot of long films were released on two cassettes in the US. I think this may have been down to the NTSC picture standard they used, which meant that not as much could be fit on a single tape. It runs at 30 frames per second, whereas the PAL standard we used in the UK had 25 frames a second.

What about the extra lines on PAL ???

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
That's the one. And there was more footage of their stop at the supplies depot on the river, and an extra bit at the end IIRC...

And the Playboy bunnies getting their **** out in the chopper :drool:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
My eldest son watched his Crouching Tiger , Hidden Dragon DVD all the way through in Mandarin Chinese with subtitles and then I pointed out there was a English dubbed option in the audio sub menu :lol:
But then a lot of people (myself included) would prefer the subbed instead of dubbed I guess.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I once rented Schindler's List on DVD out of the college library and that was spread over two discs. With the capacity of DVDs I can't think why? :shrug:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here