Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can the clock show added time

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Why does the clock on the screen stop at 45 even though there is added time? We now get from the ref how long he is adding on and this is shown on the screen but the clock stops at 45 rather than keep going so we know how long to go.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I am sure this has been raised before and the answer is something like "because the football league won't allow it". I don't know why either.

I guess because it is at the refs discretion to add more time to extra time during extra time. If a goal was scored outside the stadium clock time it would cause riots, so best not to include it.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
I am sure this has been raised before and the answer is something like "because the football league won't allow it". I don't know why either.

That is correct but the strange thing is i noticed that when i was at the away Cardiff game a couple of seasons ago they keep the clock running, so why are they not reprimanded for it?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Can they show replays of controversial moments, especially if the referee called it wrong? :wink:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I have seen the time continue into stoppage time at other grounds so I guess they could if they wanted to.

Nope, it's not allowed, if you've seen it, then it was a mistake. The extra time added at the end of a game (half) is decided by the ref and is a 'minimum' amount, it's up to the ref to decide when to blow up once the minimum amount has passed.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Zidane was sent off in the WC Final because of a video replay seen by the 4th official. In the years since FIFA have still claimed video evidence will slow the game. Idiots. I don't see a reason why the added time cannot carry on counting. It does on TV!! Again...idiots, all of em!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Can they show replays of controversial moments, especially if the referee called it wrong? :wink:

AS I understand it the rule is that potentially controversial incidents cannot be replayed on the big screens - demonstrates a very low opinion of football fans in my opinion - replays are shown in other sports including Rugby League and Cricket.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Zidane was sent off in the WC Final because of a video replay seen by the 4th official. In the years since FIFA have still claimed video evidence will slow the game. Idiots. I don't see a reason why the added time cannot carry on counting. It does on TV!! Again...idiots, all of em!

Where did you hear that from? He clearly, for all to see, attacked another player.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
AS I understand it the rule is that potentially controversial incidents cannot be replayed on the big screens - demonstrates a very low opinion of football fans in my opinion - replays are shown in other sports including Rugby League and Cricket.

Absolutely - and is a symptom of the FL's backward, outdated attitude towards people, society and
their complete disregard for the football fan. *****rs the lot of them.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Where did you hear that from? He clearly, for all to see, attacked another player.

It was not initially seen by the ref. Although as you say, cameras picked it up clear as day. The 4th official saw the replay, and alerted the ref that Zidane had used a headbutt. The ref was dealing with the scuffle afterwards and could well have just dished out yellows. But then FIFA would have had no way of disciplining Zidane. The 4th official communicated it was a red after seeing the replay. Unofficially a video replay was used to make the decision.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Perhaps it's more a reflection on the respective attitudes of the players than the supporters...

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
Nope, it's not allowed, if you've seen it, then it was a mistake. The extra time added at the end of a game (half) is decided by the ref and is a 'minimum' amount, it's up to the ref to decide when to blow up once the minimum amount has passed.

I know the time shown on the 4th official's board is a minimum amount but are they not allowed to show the seconds/minutes that have elapsed after 45/90min? I am certain I've seen it because I was surprised - I assumed they weren't allowed.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River

Actually in Cricket and Rugby League they show all replays because the video umpire can make a decision based on this. In football since no decisions can be reversed using a video replay, all you would do is make the refs job harder than it already is....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here