Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Excuse my honesty but....

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

This phrase seems to be creeping in to common use as an updated equivalent of "no offence but".
Spouted by chavvy celebrities and office bods alike before they say something ear grindingly obvious or outright rude.

It leaves me nauseated.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
"I'm not being funny but...." followed by something which can never be considered funny.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I prefer...

"I don't wish to be patronising", then pat them on the shoulder and whisper, "that's talking down to people by the way"

...as an excellent opening gambit when you can continue to say any amount of offensive things while they struggle to take in the initial insult!

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
"To be honest" You hear this phrase on a daily basis. What is the point in saying it? It suggests that you are not usually honest in what you say, but on this occasion you are choosing to be honest.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

This phrase seems to be creeping in to common use as an updated equivalent of "no offence but".
Spouted by chavvy celebrities and office bods alike before they say something ear grindingly obvious or outright rude.

It leaves me nauseated.

Usually followed by something along the lines of 'I say it how I see it', apparently making the garbage that was just spouted somehow meaningful.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
'Well basically' just prior to a long winded, drawn out explanation of something or excuse. A ten minute, sleep inducing reply is not 'basically'.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
My fave from various reality TV bellends is 'People can't handle the fact that I am so real'

Translation - I am a c**t.

"I am who I am, love me or hate me"

You're a ****.

"Live life to the full"

Gets w***ered down the same pub with the same people for the rest of your life.

"No regrets"

You've done a lot of stupid things.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
When someone wants to get past you, for example in a supermarket, and they say 'Sorry' and then they make their way by. It's ****ing 'EXCUSE ME' you ****. 'Sorry' is what you say when you accidentally knock into me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
When someone wants to get past you, for example in a supermarket, and they say 'Sorry' and then they make their way by. It's ****ing 'EXCUSE ME' you ****. 'Sorry' is what you say when you accidentally knock into me.

They're saying sorry for inconveniencing you, I don't see the issue?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
They're saying sorry for inconveniencing you, I don't see the issue?

No, they are saying sorry before they actually do anything, but presumptive isn't it? They should say excuse me, then say thank you when you oblige. Sorry is what you should say when an inconvenience has been caused.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
'Excuse my honesty but...'
'I don't wish to be a party pooper but...'

On balance, I think people in this country prefer that kind of patter. It adds a gentler touch to the English language. A bit like commanding someone to do something but asking it as a question.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I got pulled up the other day when we were arguing about someone who was being obstructive and a pain in the arse and I said ". Oh come on, play the White man". I had no idea that is now regarded as a racist comment!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here