Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have we ever had as many loans as we have now?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I know we can't play them all, but;

Bent,
Bennett
Bennett
Gardner
Hughes
The bloke from forest
Al habsi

Brighton and loan albion!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Hughes is permanent for 1 year but you forgot Teixeira from Liverpool.

It's Halford from Forest.

I thought Micky Adams II had a lot of loan players in.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I (barely) remember our first game away at Orient under Russell Slade:

40 Andersen
2 Whing
6 El-Abd
12 Heath
41 Borrowdale
39 Bangura
8 Jarrett
22 Fraser
11 McLeod
25 Davies
38 Owusu

SUBS
13 Sullivan
4 Hinshelwood
14 Livermore
28 Carole
33 Gargan

I reckon 2 definite permanent players there (Fraser and El-Abd) and not sure if Whing was permanent or a loan player at that timer. I'm pretty sure the rest of the starting line-up were loanees. Can anyone confirm/beat this line-up?

edit - my mind playing tricks on me. Mcleod and Davies might have been permanent. Not sure.

Last edited:

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle

40 Andersen
2 Whing
6 El-Abd
12 Heath
41 Borrowdale
39 Bangura
8 Jarrett
22 Fraser
11 McLeod
25 Davies
38 Owusu

SUBS
13 Sullivan
4 Hinshelwood
14 Livermore
28 Carole
33 Gargan

I reckon 2 definite permanent players there (Fraser and El-Abd) and not sure if Whing was permanent or a loan player at that timer. I'm pretty sure the rest of the starting line-up were loanees. Can anyone confirm/beat this line-up?

edit - my mind playing tricks on me. Mcleod and Davies might have been permanent. Not sure.

Pretty sure Whing was permanent then as well as Jarrett (short term contract if I remember right)

And you're correct with your edit I think- sure they were both on a permanent deal

Yoda

English & European

40 Andersen - Loan
2 Whing
6 El-Abd
12 Heath - Loan
41 Borrowdale - Loan
39 Bangura - Loan
8 Jarrett
22 Fraser
11 McLeod
25 Davies
38 Owusu - Loan

SUBS
13 Sullivan
4 Hinshelwood
14 Livermore
28 Carole
33 Gargan

:thumbsup:

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I'm not concerned by the number of loan players we have. They represent quality and value in todays market, we certainly couldn't afford them if we were paying full wages. It also gives us opportunity to see "if" they could be a permanent signing. I would prefer however that the loan signings were for a longer period, 1 month barely gives us time to get them fit and see the true ability they have.

I think it's part of the modern game now, 4 loan players in a side now isn't uncommon.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
It's football's answer to the modern workplace - in the future, everywhere outside whatever they're calling the first division by then: zero hour contract football, played mostly by temps.

There was one season at Withdean I seem to recall we used about 42 players in a single season.

That was the Adams imposter/ Slade season. I know it's hard to believe but I'm pretty sure Dean White went and signed five of them. Astonishing to think he was allowed to do that, especially in comparison to our current transfer policy.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Didn't we have a lot of loan players under Saward? He was nicknamed the Loan Arranger in the Argus IIRC

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
We had a lot of loan players under Adams second spell - Anyisah, Richards, Fleetwood, Thornton, Thornhill and that's off the top of my head

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here