Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The next expenses scandal?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Looking forward to the news of which parties, individuals and organisations that Putin is funding in the UK ( and the rest of Europe).

I'm sure the story will break before the election.

Obviously breaking up the EU, and discouraging shale gas production are key objectives for him...

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
So in 2011 Lord Hanningfield was jailed for fiddling expenses and kept his job? He then went onto, fraudulently claim a few more thousand in 2013 by clocking in and out but paid it back after getting caught out again? Unbelievable.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
There has always been one law for those that have, and one law for those that haven't.
Sadly, there is more than grain of truth to this, though, one suspects, also an element of exaggeration. It is also somewhat simplistic. Life does tend to revolve around "whom you know" and doubtless "those who have" will help out their mates. Before we all say how revolting this is, perhaps we should reflect on whether we have used the crony system to advance ourselves at some stage. Admittedly, your average punter might not -or might not have the chance to - do this on the same scale as "those who have" but the seemingly innocent comments such as "I'll see what I can do" or "I will check with . . or " I am sure that they won't mind" are basically the same.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Sadly, there is more than grain of truth to this, though, one suspects, also an element of exaggeration. It is also somewhat simplistic. Life does tend to revolve around "whom you know" and doubtless "those who have" will help out their mates. Before we all say how revolting this is, perhaps we should reflect on whether we have used the crony system to advance ourselves at some stage. Admittedly, your average punter might not -or might not have the chance to - do this on the same scale as "those who have" but the seemingly innocent comments such as "I'll see what I can do" or "I will check with . . or " I am sure that they won't mind" are basically the same.

Just in this case - I do not know many workplaces where you can clock on and be trusted to justify that days pay. And those that have tend to be encouraged by the carrot, and those that have not tend to be encouraged by the stick. And smashing up a restaurant - high spirits rather than criminal damage. And so on.

And the rest of your post about the average punter looks to bunkum to me designed to defend the indefensible. Are you really in the school of justifying his actions as (in your world) we would all do the same ?

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Looking forward to the news of which parties, individuals and organisations that Putin is funding in the UK ( and the rest of Europe).

I'm sure the story will break before the election.

Obviously breaking up the EU, and discouraging shale gas production are key objectives for him...

Probably less than Obama , shale gas has come from the US and still no proof it is safe so why all of a sudden we are giving in to these 'fracking' companies ? I was speaking with an American guy on a train the other day and he said they have a lot of problems with 'fracking' but as the US is so vast it is not so much of an issue and money talks .

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Indeed. My last 4 jobs have all been because I've known someone in the business who has persuaded a director to meet with me. Admittedly I've then had to sell myself but I wouldn't have had the chance if it wasn't for who I know.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
s'life. But what has that got to do with a bloke abusing his position and ripping off the tax-payer.

Not a lot I guess but I was really commenting on Hastings Gull's "whom you know" comment and pointing out it stretches far further than a privileged few ( I don't think I'm privileged anyway ? Yep, just checked the bank account - definitely not ! ).

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Just in this case - I do not know many workplaces where you can clock on and be trusted to justify that days pay. And those that have tend to be encouraged by the carrot, and those that have not tend to be encouraged by the stick. And smashing up a restaurant - high spirits rather than criminal damage. And so on.

And the rest of your post about the average punter looks to bunkum to me designed to defend the indefensible. Are you really in the school of justifying his actions as (in your world) we would all do the same ?

I am not sure why you interpret my previous comment to mean defence - I was simply pointing out how widespread this sort of thing is, and that we should all look at ourselves (honestly) before we criticise others. It just happens in life, and we have a tendency to moan at others' indiscretions, and "forget" our own imperfections! Can you honestly say that you have not used a crony at some time, or are you a perfect citizen?
I am sorry but I cannot for the life of me fathom out your first para, with respect, particularly the last sentence. If you are saying that you do not know many work places where people can be trusted, and do not clock in, then try every school in the country, and of course . . . the House Of Lords, ironically.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Not a lot I guess but I was really commenting on Hastings Gull's "whom you know" comment and pointing out it stretches far further than a privileged few ( I don't think I'm privileged anyway ? Yep, just checked the bank account - definitely not ! ).
To be fair to Westdene Seagull - I have to say that as I grew up in Westdene! - he was responding to my comment, with rather more realism that you have shown. Lord whatever his name is would have had his attendance sheet or whatever signed off by someone who would have known, surely, that the system was being abused. If the Police are investigating 50 cases, reportedly, then it is reasonable to assume that abuse of the system was widespread, and of course these are the reported cases. It is also reasonable to assume that others would know of the good Lord's abuse, but the cronyism comes into the equation when it is all hushed up, and taken to be as a matter of course, almost, as a perk.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I am out of here. Pointless discussion. Carry on M'Lud.
Thanks -that is your right. But please don't forget when you describe the discussion as pointless, that you triggered my comments when you simplistically stated that that there is one law for some and one for others.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Just to tag in:

The statement: "There has always been one law for those that have, and one law for those that haven't" is absolutely, unequivocally true. If it seems simplistic - that's because it is.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I visited the House of Lords on a school trip nearly 30 years ago and even then it was common knowledge that the Lords could (and did) turn up for a [subsidised] lunch and get the full day's attendance allowance without having to do any parliamentary business.

No one batted an eyelid about it then... why the surprise now?!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Just to tag in:

The statement: "There has always been one law for those that have, and one law for those that haven't" is absolutely, unequivocally true. If it seems simplistic - that's because it is.

Playing devil's advocate here but the Attendence Allowance for Lords is not means tested and is available to both rich and poor Lords alike and therefore there is, categorically, only one Law in place.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Just to tag in:

the statement is based on perceptions that the application of law differs between some. therefore it is not "unequivocally true" at all. the law is intended to be equitable across all persons in the country, regardless of station.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
the statement is based on perceptions that the application of law differs between some. therefore it is not "unequivocally true" at all. the law is intended to be equitable across all persons in the country, regardless of station.

A law is defined by it's application - not by it's intention. The perceptions (that there are differences in application) are also unequivocally true.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here