Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why don't we move Christmas to January 25th

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I've given this a lot of thought and I'm convinced we should move the date of Christmas so that it falls on 25th January. I know it's tampering with centuries of tradition but sometimes you have to do what's right and this would be the right thing for several reasons.

1. Christmas is too close to New Year. We have that long, frankly tedious, dead time between the two so that after enjoying a couple of days of Christmas we have to hang around for the rest of the week waiting to get New Year out of the way so we can get on with normal life. And you end up with those ridiculous work colleagues who disappear in mid-December and aren't seen again until the second week of January. Nothing gets done. Much better to space the two festivals out a bit.

2. Its much more likely to snow in January. Everyone always bangs on about a white Christmas but it hardly ever happens in December. Move it a month and it'll happen much more often. And everyone will go around beaming as a result.

3. Psychologically, we tend to think that once Christmas is over the winter is nearly done. Whereas in fact it's only just got started and still has the best part of three bone-chilling months to run. If we have Christmas later it will feel much more like mid-Winter and give us something to look forward to. With our current arrangement we pack all the winter celebrations in early - and then leave ourselves the most depressing months with no festivals to break them up.

Of course, to re-set our calendars for this new arrangement there would have to be one year where we either have no Christmas or two Christmases - but we shouldn't let that put us off. Overall, this is such a brilliantly simple idea I don't know why no one's had it before. It's a definite vote-winner for any of the political parties that picks this one up - they can have it for free.

Who's with me?

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Showing my naivety here, but isn't actual Christmas sometime round then anyway?
(Really can't be arsed to google it....)

A quick mindboggling google search is now pointing me to 6th Jan, any higher bidders???

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
No.

Move it six months, let's have it on June 25th. I've always wanted a Christmas BBQ on the beach, and this way I wouldn't have to fork out on plane fares to Australia.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Move New Year back to March when Spring started it off. Blooming Romans changing it to January and messing us Brits about.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Move New Year back to March when Spring started it off. Blooming Romans changing it to January and messing us Brits about.

having new year just after the winter soltice makes much more sence than half way through the year. new year and christmas dates are just a few days/week too late. i think they should be merged into one single feast/bing, christmas followed by new year, followed by boxing day (for recovery). still get same holidays off, just condensed together.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Bit late to spring this on us now. I've already booked my holiday.

I'll end up working Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing day.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No, keep it where it is, just as the days get longer and the New Year arrives bringing hope of a better year ahead.

Last edited:

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Everything before Jesus was born was BC. Everything after is AD. When Jesus was born, it became 0AD. So why isn't new years day on the same day as Christmas Day?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Everything before Jesus was born was BC. Everything after is AD. When Jesus was born, it became 0AD. So why isn't new years day on the same day as Christmas Day?

Because the Romans didn't change the calendar for a couple of hundred years and then they were 4 years out.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Showing my naivety here, but isn't actual Christmas sometime round then anyway?
(Really can't be arsed to google it....)

A quick mindboggling google search is now pointing me to 6th Jan, any higher bidders???

It did used to be on January 6th (in today's money anyway). The reason is that Britain changed from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar in 1752 and 11 days just never happened - to coincide with the new system. So Christmas as it used to be, falls on Jan 6th in the modern calendar.

And this is probably one reason why we have a folk memory of white Christmases - even on Jan 6th the chance of snow is higher. It's partly that and the fact that Dickens did a lot to invent the modern cult of Christmas, complete with snow. In the 18th and 19th century, I think I'm right in saying, they also had a mini-ice age when winters were a lot colder.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
It did used to be on January 6th (in today's money anyway). The reason is that Britain changed from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar in 1752 and 11 days just never happened - to coincide with the new system. So Christmas as it used to be, falls on Jan 6th in the modern calendar.

And this is probably one reason why we have a folk memory of white Christmases - even on Jan 6th the chance of snow is higher. It's partly that and the fact that Dickens did a lot to invent the modern cult of Christmas, complete with snow. In the 18th and 19th century, I think I'm right in saying, they also had a mini-ice age when winters were a lot colder.

fair play. 2 mins on google and I was spinning out, much appreciate the edited version.
Yep, voting for whatever you decide based on that........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here