Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fire destroys one remaining business blocking Spurs new stadium...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...tenham-s-100m-new-ground-White-Hart-Lane.html

Spurs have been trying to buy the land occupied by Archway Steel, adjacent to WHL for the last 10 years, but the owner had refused to sell up, and was appealing the compulsary purchase order to the High Court. Gotta feel for the owner, he'd been there 50 years.

It'll be interesting to see what the investigators find out as to the causes of the fire...

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
... or the West Pier?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
In the US they call the cause of such fires "Jewish Lightning".
A worryingly anti-Semitic term but seems quite apt in this case.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
How unlucky, and the only building in the area?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I take it Chubb won't be sponsoring the new stadium.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hopefully covered by insurance and rebuilt with extra mystery fire precautions. Accompanied by a full-on criminal investigation into the fire.

Reckon Inspector Rex could solve this one.

Get+Up+and+Go+Rex+Arthritis.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... Gotta feel for the owner, he'd been there 50 years.

not so much, as i recall they were offered alternative site and costs of transition. holding out for more money, not some principle. and i wonder if a fire even helps as it doesn't resolve that compensation issue.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
not so much, as i recall they were offered alternative site and costs of transition. holding out for more money, not some principle. and i wonder if a fire even helps as it doesn't resolve that compensation issue.

Its Daniel Levy though, he's well known for absolutely taking the proverbial when it comes to haggling.

I don't profess to know the ins and outs of what Archway Steel has been offered. But its a family business thats been there for half a century, surely they're within their rights not to be bullied off the site without adequate compensation. And who knows where they'd be able to relocate to, it could be miles out of the area. They've been enduring threats and vitriol from Spurs fans for years.

Be interesting to see how this plays out, being as they still own the land. Doesn't alter Spurs's position, they'll still have to stump up compensation for it, but it'll probably go on hold for even longer while the cause of the fire is investigated and Archway wrangle with the insurers.

'Tis a dilly of a pickle, to be sure.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Doesnt it make a piece of land with no planning permission other than a football stadium a little worthless or at least worth less than originally when it housed a works/factory.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here