Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bubble and Squeak - no not from Athens

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What do people put in bubble and squeak. Watching James Martin last Saturday a chap was saying it shouldnt have potatoes just cabbage and shredded beef similar to pulled pork but beef. I use whatever veg is left over, what do others use.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
What do people put in bubble and squeak. Watching James Martin last Saturday a chap was saying it shouldnt have potatoes just cabbage and shredded beef similar to pulled pork but beef. I use whatever veg is left over, what do others use.

You're right and he's wrong. The whole point is it's leftovers. Roast potatoes, sprouts, peas, stuffing, leeks...the whole lot.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
By choice, Potato, Onion, sprouts

(but i'll use any green veg that's in the fridge)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
By choice, Potato, Onion, sprouts

(but i'll use any green veg that's in the fridge)

Definetly this although it's mainly cabbage when I do it. Don't mind a small amount of carrot though.

Mrs Beeton's 1861 recipe (always a good starting point for a binfest about food) says:-

A few thin slices of cold, boiled beef, boiled cabbage, a sliced onion, salt and pepper, and plenty of butter (for the frying).

Fry the beef gently. Then fry the vegetables and spread over the beef.

The obvious conflict with modern eating is the sliced boiled beef. Who boils beef and slices it these days?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Definitely whatever is left over, though I like to add a little garlic and some grated cheese... Yum!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Potato and cabbage is surely the classic bubble.

I agree - the basic ingredients should be pots and cabbage but the great thing is you can adapt it to suit whatever left overs are to hand.

When cooking a roast I always add extra veg so there will be a decent amount for bubble and squeak the following day. A must for me are roasted onions plus I use a little of the meat dripping to fry off the bubble and squeak.

One of the highlights for Xmas is cold turkey with bubble and squeak.

Bubble and squeak also makes a decent brunch, served with a couple of eggs.

This thread is making me hungry.......

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
My girlfriend is Greek and I have always called her Bubble until recently when I found out she had taken it the wrong way. Turns out she thought I was implying she was fat. So now I've stopped calling her bubble and just ask every now and then if she's put on weight.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
My girlfriend is Greek and I have always called her Bubble until recently when I found out she had taken it the wrong way. Turns out she thought I was implying she was fat. So now I've stopped calling her bubble and just ask every now and then if she's put on weight.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

very time the adverts come on it's 'Who Killed the F*ing Zutons', I'm not buying it on principle.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Christmas bubble & squeak is the business... roast potatoes, roast parsnips, stuffing, sprouts, whatever other veg is knocking about and CHESTNUTS

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Cabbage or sprouts and carrots

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here