Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dental Insurance

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Mrs Wz has once again tested my encyclopedic knowledge of everything under the sun by asking what this £700 pa payment that goes out of the account is. We pay this for two 50somethings :blush: regular dental insurance (As far as i know, 2 dental and 2 hygenist check-ups per year each plus anything that needs doing).

So over to NSC, the font of all knowledge. When she gets back this afternoon, do I tell her it's a real bargain, or are we being ripped off and should i tell her to investigate alternative suppliers without delay ?

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Sounds like a lot to me.

I have a 'Cashback Health Plan' through work which covers Dental on myself up to £135 claim back per year as well as, optical / chiropractics / phisyo ect each with total claim limits of between £100 - £300 and that only cost me £90 a year. Not based on age either (as I'm a bit younger than you).

I'd wager there is a much better deal out there for what you need it for.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Just one more thing to worry about in our barmily unequal society.

I know that there are worse things in the world but for some reason I find it especially sad to think about working people in so-called "Great" Britain being unable to afford the dentist.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Sounds like a lot to me.

I have a 'Cashback Health Plan' through work which covers Dental on myself up to £135 claim back per year as well as, optical / chiropractics / phisyo ect each with total claim limits of between £100 - £300 and that only cost me £90 a year. Not based on age either (as I'm a bit younger than you).

I'd wager there is a much better deal out there for what you need it for.

Have you worked out your total outlay and the returns. £135 covers nothing at the dentist anymore.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
£700. That's one (1) root canal and crown now days in Private dentistry, if you have been a victim of the antiquated and basic butchery of NHS dentistry in the 50,60 and 70's in the days before Fluoride. That's reasonable money for two of you imo, as long as it doesn't increase too much as you get older.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Have you worked out your total outlay and the returns. £135 covers nothing at the dentist anymore.

There are still dentists who take on NHS patients. £18.50 for a check up, £50.50 for fillings and a maximum of £219 for more involved work. I go to a great one in Hove.
I also pay into a hospital fund where I can claim back £110 for dental and opticians, half the cost of physio etc and £33 a night for hospital inpatient, per annum. The cost is £19.75 a month.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011

This works for me as I used NHS work and have fairly healthy teeth. 2 x check ups @ £18.50 each + filling if required comes in under the £135 mark. I also fully use the optical for glasses / contact lenses & the chriopractics for free back clicking!

I easily claim back c.£300-£400 per year through this plan which cost me £90. I really fail to see how they make money.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Actually there is much easier way to avoid paying NHS dental charges. PM me if you are interested.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here