Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Xmas Dinner Conundrum

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
We are, for the first time, 'hosting' Christmas for the family this year. Whilst discussing the nitty gritty of the day with my previously sensible girlfriend she has just announced that along with the turkey she will be preparing some cooked ham so we have '2 meats available in the centre of the table'

Firstly I have NEVER had ham at Christmas. Sounds ridiculous and secondly the meat should be served on the plate. It's not a buffet!!

Am I right in my assumptions?!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
According to many of the current TV ads, you should plaster your table with everything you can. Gluttony is big this year, max your Turkey/Goose/10 Bird Roast size, all veg need to be ramped up with herbs/spices or lardons, plain boiled is history. If when you have covered your table there are still visible signs of the tablecoth underneath, you are a scrooge.

So yes.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
No. I would say that your girlfriend is extremely sensible. Have often had ham or salt pork at Xmas. I would suggest that she puts everything else on the table as well so everyone can help themselves as it is bad enough having to cook it all let alone serve it all up too.

You can do the washing up. And make the sandwiches later.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The extended Bobkin family normally have turkey, ham and beef. Mind you, there are bloody loads of us normally.

To be honest, pretty much anything goes at Christmas - there are no 'traditions' as such; you just make your own ones.

I'd say embrace it and tuck in! :drool: :thumbsup:

Christmas dinners are steeped in family traditions and it is a feature of every Christmas dinner I've ever eaten that more than one family has shown up. Your mum will bring a different set of traditions to the event from those brought by your dad. "Your" traditions arise from whatever compromise was negotiated between your mum and your dad. So be prepared to compromise.

As for ham, I can't see anything wrong in principle with a two-meat Christmas dinner. Laying each meat out on the table in separate dishes will offer each diner the option of whether to stick with just one meat - so it seems to be a sensible way to achieve something that will appeal to everyone. Go for it.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
She won't be as keen the year after when the carrots are going overdone and she has forgotten to start the bread sauce
Aunt Bessie's honey glazed frozen parsnips should be mandatory is my contribution

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
I am shocked and bewildered by the support shown for cooked ham at Christmas! Unheard of for me

I am shocked and bewildered by the support shown for cooked ham at Christmas! Unheard of for me
It MUST be a home-cooked ham, though - probably a glazed gammon joint - NOT cold, sliced ham. The supermarkets are competing with each other to produce uniquely tasty versions of Christmas hams.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Always have ham in the evening, but not with the turkey. Pigs in blankets yes. But what I would say, is that doing your own thing different to what your family has always done is no bad way to go.

I can also thoroughly recommend Nigella's soaking of the turkey in brine, spices and cut fruit for a couple of days in a bucket. We've done this for a few years and the turkey soaks in so much moisture, it's always been really moist when cooked. http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/spiced-and-superjuicy-roast-turkey

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Get a minipin of something like Dark Star APA and leave the 'trimmings' to the women. Keep out of it.

It MUST be a home-cooked ham, though - probably a glazed gammon joint - NOT cold, sliced ham. The supermarkets are competing with each other to produce uniquely tasty versions of Christmas hams.

Baked ham is an underrated meat imho. One of the best meals I ever had was thick slices of succulent baked ham in a black cherry sauce, delish.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Christmas dinners are steeped in family traditions and it is a feature of every Christmas dinner I've ever eaten that more than one family has shown up. Your mum will bring a different set of traditions to the event from those brought by your dad. "Your" traditions arise from whatever compromise was negotiated between your mum and your dad. So be prepared to compromise.

Absolutely this!!

Nobody outside of your immediate family celebrated christmas in the same why you did growing up. Absolutely NOBODY. Your chances of finding a girlfriend that you aren't going to need to compromise in bucket loads is negligible (unless you are from Norfolk or Westeros).

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
When I was younger we had Turkey, Pork and boiled bacon on the xmas table (and for cold meat and salad on boxing day!), it may have been due to the fact that my grandad and dad both worked in an abattoir so had access to cheap meat.

We still have Turkey and boiled bacon for Xmas dinner, along with pigs in blankets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here